Cold Weather/Frozen Ground

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trinafinder Welcome to Tnet
I hunt all year the deep snow stops me,the ground in the woods does not freeze as deep as the open fields/yards.
Where on the east coast are you ?
Gary

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good time to try a Falcon or gold type of metal detector with a small coil on interesting rocks inside or outside in a tent with a heater. A new type of "Ice fishing" if done out side in a tent......LOL:laughing7:

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
I have a friend that used to detect the tunnel walls during winter in nevada, not the safest thing to do but it kept him out of the extreme cold weather and he found gold.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
the seasons have their trade offs. summertime the creeks are dry and the soil is calmer, comparatively. but there are snakes. wintertime is tuff. my success has been hindered by the wet season. time to change my game plan.

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone here try cold weather detecting or just wait until spring?

I've decided to check frozen rivers right now.
I find potential spots and come back after the thaw.

I've tried walking the river when thawed and not getting sucked in is too challenging...so much easier to find the prospective spots now.

I got a nice signal. Looked closer and found two slightly larger than BB sized objects glimmering with beautiful yellow color in/next to a rock under the ice.

Started chipping the ice but couldn't see where the objects were after chipping. I just decided to wait for the easter eggs.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone here try cold weather detecting or just wait until spring?

That would be quite the trick up here, but I do have a friend that was able to briefly detect from time to time that lives across the mountains from me, but only when a Chinook (warm west wind that rapidly swings the temperature from below zero to above, sometimes for weeks) warmed things enough for him to swing his coil, and he did find nuggets, but he already had some good nugget-holding ground located from the previous season so he knew the gold was in that specific spot. As for me, around here, I'd need dynamite, a jackhammer, a small nuke, and I'd still not be able to detect this time of year.

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working in the Snow

187_8785.JPG Doing anything when the ground is covered in snow, and ice in some locations, is not really possible especially if you need to get below the surface of the dirt..............63bkpkr

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brrrrr. I wonder if frozen dirt is harder than desert caliche.:laughing7:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arizau, between these two extremes there just is not a happy in-between. When is it fun to "Work" in 1' to 16' of snow with short days and you are cold all the time? When is it fun to "Work" in hot sand and hot rocks with hot sun and hot air all around along with each persons own Smell?

At least with snow one can melt it for water but then the firewood is Under the snow. So no easy in between in either situation, IMHO...........63bkpkr

PS - I'm just crazy enough to be out in either condition just to enjoy being "Out There"! A camp fire on a snow trip is a little bit of Heaven!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions