Sealing non-waterproof coils on garret infinium for creek beds

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was curious if anyone has tried sealing any of their coils that aren't necessarily waterproof out of the box. More specifically I've got a garret infinium I picked up for a sweet price a while back on craigslist and it came with the stock 10x14dd and the 8x10 mono and both the small 5x10dd and 3x7dd like this one here: Garrett Metal Detector - 3x7" Power DD - Gold Rush Trading Post

I figure some nice epoxy resin around the cable socket to plug it up to do the trick and keep it dry yet still able to swing in shallow water creeks beds? It's not like this thing is under warranty anymore anyway! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few water proofing methods on youtube...i'm not sure if they work or not

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure that the 3x7 and 5x10 coils were/are waterproof -- but not dive-rated, so waterproof only for shallow water use. I would call Garrett to make sure of course.

OP
OP
S

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Cactusman! I did indeed see they were water resistant, but to me, that is it'll withstand splashes, but not dunking for a couple swings under a foot n a half of water.

And everyone knows you guys on T-net are faster than an email from customer service during the holidays of any company :P

I'll check out those youtubes... Thanks Searching 4. Was hoping for some Tnetters experience/thoughts, but since the Tube can be good with a grain, or dash or salt, im sure i'll find something :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I don't think I'd try to use epoxy for waterproofing your machine. I would try some of the spray on flexible material that I see on T.V. ...They spray / spread this product on to screen material that's fitted to the boat of a alum boat and it don't leak. Epoxy would eventually crack next to the cord and leak in my opinion!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
While not familiar with the infinium, my 1984 Garrett master hunter 7 had waterproof coils. Waterproof up to the connection to the machine.
My guess is they are all waterproof.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LS stands for land and sea.

The whole unit is water proof to a certain depth.

Most detector coils are already waterproof. especially on a machine that was designed for shallow water snorkeling like the infinium LS

The whole thing can go underwater

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Infinium has certain waterproof coils to use. Why on earth would someone try to screw up what is already good to go? That would be like putting an automatic transmission into a corvette. Possible, but why? ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread