Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

my name is Horst and I am a German prospector who will come to AZ on 9th March 2018 for 1 week of metal detecting for nuggets. My friend Joe from CA and I have never prospected in AZ and due to the time of the year and the cold weather in northern CA we will come to AZ.
We do need help finding a spot to detect for nuggets having a fair chance of finding some. As I am flying into Phoenix we are thinking of Wickenburg/Prescott/Stanton/Weaver area. Can anybody help? Becoming a member of a club would be a good for us or paying a reasonable fee to the claim owner would also be an option.
All your kind help and assistance is highly appreciated.

AU 2 U

Horst

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If only having a week, I would concentrate on just one area. I suggest Stanton. I have worked Stanton for years. Good... BEST place of those you mention... imho. Almost all of my experience there has been with a recirculating system. Not much detecting. The area is called the Weaver mining district. Several clubs there to consider. My favorite has its offices next to the tavern just north of the town of Congress. HINT: During the early '30s, they bulldozed the washes to get at the bottom of the overburden. They then worked the washes GOOD. Look for your nuggets in the BERMS that the dozers built!

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi TerryC,

many thanks for your very helpful reply. That's what I need. I'll do so and I will let you know how it worked out.

Lots of AU 2 U

Horst

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi TerryC,

many thanks for your very helpful reply. That's what I need. I'll do so and I will let you know how it worked out.

Lots of AU 2 U

Horst
There are two "theories" with Stanton. Work the pediments below Stanton. If you look on Google Earth, you will see a 5 mile long "pediment" field that has come down out of the mountains east of Stanton. It is a lighter brown than surrounding areas and easy to spot. And working the hillside claims just south and east of Rich Hill is good for nuggets. Check with the clubs in the area for those areas. Last I checked, the yearly fee for most clubs were $50. A good deal! The better recirculating prospectors get that much gold in a day or two! I have. I knew one dry-washer was getting 3/4 to 0ne ounce a month. He had the whole set up including a shaker table. Lodging is scarce at best. Yarnell has a motel that is cheap.... so is the look of the place. Wickenburg is the other choice. Nice motels there. If you are camping or RVing, you can do that free of charge on BLM land in the area. What metal detectors will you be using? I use the GB2 and on Thursday, I will be the FIRST owner of the newest version of the Whites TDI SL, a PI machine. You MUST check for club claims and private claims. They carry guns out there and they pay armed guards out there at the claims. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Terry,

in March 2020 it's about time to come back to AZ. my friend Joe decided that he wants to go to Quartzite,AZ. Fine for me so I will fly in from Germany to Las Vegas and he will pick me up from the airport and then we'll head over to Quartzite visiting the Phoenix Gold show 07/08th March as well. I'd be VERY happy hearing some good advice from you. Can you recommend us a club to join? Joe is a member of LDMA, New49er and several others.
AU2U
Horst

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
by the way we will be using 2x SDC2300, 1x Equinox 800, 1x Whites MXT

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry,

in March 2020 it's about time to come back to AZ. my friend Joe decided that he wants to go to Quartzite,AZ. Fine for me so I will fly in from Germany to Las Vegas and he will pick me up from the airport and then we'll head over to Quartzite visiting the Phoenix Gold show 07/08th March as well. I'd be VERY happy hearing some good advice from you. Can you recommend us a club to join? Joe is a member of LDMA, New49er and several others.
AU2U
Horst

If Joe is a member of LDMA, he should have no problem putting you on gold. If he can't, I will personally come and help out. You WILL find gold! Don't quite the day job just yet, though. We'll talk again. ╦╦C

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if this is goona happen you can hear me screaming and dancing all the way back to Germany

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if this is goona happen you can hear me screaming and dancing all the way back to Germany
Maybe a little scream. We don't want to start the RUSH all over again. I have two RVs, so while here at Stanton, no motel needed. We will park right out there where the gold is! Maybe not much, but gold just the same. I GUARANTEE it! ╦╦C

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We'll find gold but I have to back off on the guarantee.... with a metal detector. We will do good. I will do some looking for you before you get here. I'll put the GB2 and Monster through the paces! I live right here so I can put some time in on the spots we will hunt. ╦╦C

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This really means a lot to me!!!! Many thanks for all your help and assistance. I know that there is never a guarantee but if there was one it would take the fun part out of prospecting. Having a very fair chance is good enough. I'll bring my Equinox 800 + SDC2300 and Joe his MXT + SDC2300. I have made good experience with both machines and do find VERY small stuff but it never turned out to be gold with the exception of two very small specimen which showed their gold under the microscope though the MD did not lie to me!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fun? It's not fun 'til you FIND it! But I will say there is great satisfaction in looking. ╦╦C

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my new ride. I'll be using it on the desert when you come:
DSC01176.JPG

DSC01181.JPG DSC01182.JPG

I hid the dirty dishes for the pics. ╦╦C

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This really means a lot to me!!!! Many thanks for all your help and assistance. I know that there is never a guarantee but if there was one it would take the fun part out of prospecting. Having a very fair chance is good enough. I'll bring my Equinox 800 + SDC2300 and Joe his MXT + SDC2300. I have made good experience with both machines and do find VERY small stuff but it never turned out to be gold with the exception of two very small specimen which showed their gold under the microscope though the MD did not lie to me!

Horst, I saw your PM at Bill's. I'm bummed more help wasn't offered there. I have actually had the honor of drinking a beer with TerryC, at the American Legion Post in Yarnell, AZ. When you hook up with him, you'll be with one of the best gold hunters in Yavapai County - and that's saying something! Good on Ya Terry!!!:notworthy:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Horst, I saw your PM at Bill's. I'm bummed more help wasn't offered there. I have actually had the honor of drinking a beer with TerryC, at the American Legion Post in Yarnell, AZ. When you hook up with him, you'll be with one of the best gold hunters in Yavapai County - and that's saying something! Good on Ya Terry!!!:notworthy:
Aw, gosh, Terry! Guess I have a REP to protect now! Tnx, buddy. ╦╦C

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Friends,
I highly appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!
We'll definitely be there (if our good-lord lets me make the trip) and all your help is so much appreciated!
Being out there with good people is 9/10th of all the fun.
My last trip to CA with Joe was just great....no much gold but 1.2 grams and good company and chats at night were worth the flying over and the expenses incurred.
Again, thank you all for your support!
AU2U
Horst

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• DSC00405.JPG
    DSC00405.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 54
  • rghg.jpg
    rghg.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 60

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're the Man!

Let the viewers be the judge! I DO​ like that nuggie, Terry. I'm sure it's been posted before but please repeat the story behind it. I vaguely remember the posted pic but not the text that went with it. ╦╦C

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
this RV looks fancy!!!! Real nice - that's the way to go if you live in Gold Country. We just have a pop-up roof tent for our ventures in Germany and Europe.

DSCN2033.JPG

Terry, when I grow up I want a Nugget just like yours :occasion14:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread