Gold at Quartzsite!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this small nuggie outside of Quartzsite. Including the quartz, .22 grams.
DSC00040.JPG

This is a topo of the area. All the orange spots are mines/adits/prospects in the area. I found this nugget up in the large orange area up the gulch.... a Quartzsite Metal Detecting Club claim. I am a member.
quartzsite.JPG

I take minimal equipment when detecting. GB2 w/Grey Ghost ears, Calvin Bunker digger (I shortened it) and a scooper. And water that tastes like plastic!
light.JPG

This is my traveling setup..... the BUBBLE.
bubble.JPG

Hurry! I need a princess.... again!
frog.JPG

And last...... NEVER!
mine.JPG ╦╦Ç

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never used a PI for gold before. I will give you OBSERVATIONS but no conclusion yet. The TDI does, in fact, make hot rocks disappear! I DID find two that sounded off loudly in spite. I must investigate that. I have found pieces of staples with the TDI so I know it has sensitivity. Seems to have good depth but I only have 7.3 hours in the field so far so no summaries today. Tnx, GG. ╦╦Ç

EdiT: another observation.... by tipping the coil down, that is to say moving the closer edge of the coil to the shaft, the other edge (tip) works very well as a pinpointer on targets just under the surface.

(That's tnx 63!)

What you say about hot rocks and PI's is so true, yet due to ads put out by some companies that make them lead the buyer to believe they ignore ALL hot rocks, well, that's just nonsense. However, they really do ignore a lot of the hot rocks that bedevil VLF's, so when a nugget shooter's in a bad place for hot rocks, a PI will save a person's sanity and save a lot of unnecessary stopping to check out whether it's a real target or a positive hot rock.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the DEATH RIDE well! For years I did Titusville to Murphys with two nights in motels. Averaging 15 hours of driving a day. If I ate on the run and scooted, I could do it in about an hour less than Delorme says I can. When I was at Stanton, Robert was out, health, and Julie was visiting him. Nanette was at the office with her husband on the phone. Are those your friends? ╦╦Ç

Yup, we drove Robert & Julie's motorhome down for them that day to Tuscon if that was Monday. We've started opening up the Blue Bucket and toured the grounds yesterday and there's a lot of great looking channel up here :)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you say about hot rocks and PI's is so true, yet due to ads put out by some companies that make them lead the buyer to believe they ignore ALL hot rocks, well, that's just nonsense. However, they really do ignore a lot of the hot rocks that bedevil VLF's, so when a nugget shooter's in a bad place for hot rocks, a PI will save a person's sanity and save a lot of unnecessary stopping to check out whether it's a real target or a positive hot rock.

All the best,

Lanny

Tnx for the shout, Lanny. As I said, some hot rocks sound off. I'll have to check on the mineral base on those rocks to determine if they are different than the rest. Maybe someone here can help on this. Of course, every manufacturer touts their particular product as the ANSWER. Since the BFO days (1970), I have probably been through 20 detectors. Not that one was always better than another but because simply..... I wanted to. I will be 69 in May. My experimenting days are over. Now it's time to get to work with what I have! I may buy a larger coil for the TDI SL though to get a little more depth. Tnx agn. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, we drove Robert & Julie's motorhome down for them that day to Tuscon if that was Monday. We've started opening up the Blue Bucket and toured the grounds yesterday and there's a lot of great looking channel up here :)

Thx, Reed, for helping fill in the blanks. I don't know how far back in Stanton you go but "Sarge" was the caretaker back when I started there. Was a Marine 1st sergeant. Passed away a couple of years ago. Lived across the road where the front of the house has cement slabs for a motorhome project that never started up. One day, Tim had Sarge look up on Rich Hill. I was waving a Marine Corps flag for him. Tnx agn. ╦╦Ç

williamrusin

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2018
Santa Monica
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter metal detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collect at Quartzsite that you found and i think the scooper is good for any kind of metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread