Gold at Quartzsite!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this small nuggie outside of Quartzsite. Including the quartz, .22 grams.
DSC00040.JPG

This is a topo of the area. All the orange spots are mines/adits/prospects in the area. I found this nugget up in the large orange area up the gulch.... a Quartzsite Metal Detecting Club claim. I am a member.
quartzsite.JPG

I take minimal equipment when detecting. GB2 w/Grey Ghost ears, Calvin Bunker digger (I shortened it) and a scooper. And water that tastes like plastic!
light.JPG

This is my traveling setup..... the BUBBLE.
bubble.JPG

Hurry! I need a princess.... again!
frog.JPG

And last...... NEVER!
mine.JPG ╦╦Ç

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Buddy! No Skunk!!! :hello2:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are you there for the Fiberglass RV Rally? I see you have a Scamp :) We were there visiting friends last Sunday and will be heading back that way this weekend for the gathering to see friends. Nice find on the nugget!!!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would dry wash that entrance material .
I dunno, Charlie. That stuff is like cow pies..... not a problem 'til you disturb it! Not me, buddy. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Reed! I was out 9 days. Started out at Duisenburg, a GPAA claim near Randsburg, CA. The gen store there was Jim Straight's hang out.
Jim S.JPG
Then went up to Gold basin for 3 days. I found my meteorite but haven't mentioned it 'til I can FIND it in my Jeep to take a pic. I then went down to Q and got the nugget. LOTS of sweat looking for that little speck of a nugget! Then back up to Randsburg area for 3 days looking in the Iron Canyon and Goler Gulch with no luck. Found a family "claim jumping" up Goler G. Maybe he thought it would be looked over if he had momma and two kids with him. He had two detectors but asked me how to use them. Ha! I had no part of that "criminal". Lots of trumpet plants up there but found nothing.
trumpet (2).JPG
Then back to Duisenburg and home. To those interested, lots of these stringers in Goler and Iron.
DSC00026.JPG
And here's a pic of what caliche looks like. Harder than CEMENT!
caliche.JPG
And, as they say, that's the rest of the story. I had fun! ╦╦Ç

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Terry… I do like your travelling set-up, the trailer looks ideal for exploring more remote places. Congratulations on finding the small nugget. It's just like you say above, and besides, that’s where all the enjoyment of this hobby lies. Thanks for those illustrative photos too… a real nice post!!!! :)

Jim.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jim! Tnx! Seems to be a LAG in the posting coming to me. About a half hour between posts and responses. Sorry. Actually, the Scamp is nice but not ideal for remote areas. Not enough clearance to negotiate even the smallest of washouts. I end up dragging the rear end across washouts only a foot deep. Not good. Otherwise, a nice easy pull behind the Jeep. If I get caught up a wash and need to "retreat", I simply unhook and turn the trailer around. Nice! I had a poor pic of the meteorite but need to take a better. Here is the pic anyway....
DSC00460.JPG
I expected the Gold Basin stones to be "rusty" but this one is more black. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incidentally, Reed, I lived in Yarnell when those 19 hotshots died in the flashover. If you You Tube my name, Terry Cieszki, you will see some dramatic video of the fire in Peeple's Valley just before they kicked us down the mountain. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jim! Tnx! Seems to be a LAG in the posting coming to me. About a half hour between posts and responses. Sorry. Actually, the Scamp is nice but not ideal for remote areas. Not enough clearance to negotiate even the smallest of washouts. I end up dragging the rear end across washouts only a foot deep. Not good. Otherwise, a nice easy pull behind the Jeep. If I get caught up a wash and need to "retreat", I simply unhook and turn the trailer around. Nice! I had a poor pic of the meteorite but need to take a better. Here is the pic anyway....
View attachment 1548136
I expected the Gold Basin stones to be "rusty" but this one is more black. ╦╦Ç
Yes. I found my meteorite. That is to say..... I found my rock. Put it to the nickel test.... I'm STILL looking for a meteorite. Jeez! ╦╦Ç

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incidentally, Reed, I lived in Yarnell when those 19 hotshots died in the flashover. If you You Tube my name, Terry Cieszki, you will see some dramatic video of the fire in Peeple's Valley just before they kicked us down the mountain. ╦╦Ç

That was such a huge loss... We ate at the taco truck in Yarnell yesterday, when looking at property for sale. There are so many burned out homes there still... Yarnell is 15 minutes from us here at Stanton now, they graded the road again :)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And.... before I forget. Here is some purple quartz, amethyst, found at Duisenburg (Randsburg, CA). Not museum quality, but amethyst just the same. First is in sunlight, the other incandescent light. ╦╦Ç

Amythist.JPG Amy 2.JPG

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry,

Sure enjoyed the pictures and the gold hunting write-ups, absolutely fun to tag along.

Winter's got its icy grip around our throat,s and hanging on tight. It would be great to be out in the desert; it's been too long since my last visit.

Good luck, and congratulations on finding some gold,

Lanny

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,

Sure enjoyed the pictures and the gold hunting write-ups, absolutely fun to tag along.

Winter's got its icy grip around our throat,s and hanging on tight. It would be great to be out in the desert; it's been too long since my last visit.

Good luck, and congratulations on finding some gold,

Lanny
Yes! Warm in the desert. I will soon be moving back to Yarnell and spending MUCH more time in the deserts of CA and AZ. Good to hear from you. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a three book series by Dr. Eric Melchiorre. They make a topographical map COME ALIVE with the history and people of the area around Quartzsite. I would very highly suggest purchase of these great research tools, published in 2011.

Q 1.JPG

In volume 1, Eric features the area I found the nugget.

Q 2.JPG

You may recognize M's name if you have a copy of this Rich Hill publication.

Q 3.JPG

Eric's books are the main reason I joined the Roadrunner Prospecting Club yesterday. Roadrunner controls over 5000 acres of claims in AZ. I will no doubt be returning to the area. Clay Diggins and Terry Soloman also had a hand in my joining, indirectly. FOOTPRINTS! Come on down as my guest when I relocate! ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(Even you Canadians)

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You joined Roadrunner's yesterday? Cool, they are having an outting today outside of Morristown, I'm getting ready to join them myself because they do have the best claims of any organization that I have seen. The LDMA Stanton claim is flat out surrounded by Roadrunner's claims and they go hand in hand :)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You joined Roadrunner's yesterday? Cool, they are having an outting today outside of Morristown, I'm getting ready to join them myself because they do have the best claims of any organization that I have seen. The LDMA Stanton claim is flat out surrounded by Roadrunner's claims and they go hand in hand :)
Yes I did. Laurel, the phone person talked to me. She also told me that Weaver Mining District Club is probably defunct. Hopefully Roadrunner picked up their claims as they did very good for me. I'm sure we will meet soon, Reed. Terry

It would be great to get some Rich Hill dirt in the claims!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I am now a member of GPAA/LDMA paid up life, Quartzsite MDC, and Roadrunners. Between the three, I think I've got a pretty good shot at more nuggets. Maybe even get back on a recirculating setup. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread