PI metal detectors for nuggets.

JameyL

Apr 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I have some questions about PI detectors and nugget hunting. I've heard PI units are good for use in bad mineralized ground and areas with hot rocks. I've also heard they're not so good on the smaller gold. I understand all of that but what I'm wondering is why some PI detectors like the Sea Hunter Mark II designed for beach hunting are not good for nugget hunting. I thought all PI detectors were basically dig all signals anyways. Being a PI detector, I would have thought the Sea Hunter could handle hot rocks and mineralization. Thanks inadvance for any clarification on this subject!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and WELCOME! :occasion14:

Some pulse induction machines are preset at the factory, with minimal controls and no ground balancing or noise reduction capabilities - Like the Sea Hunter; Sand Shark; Dual Field. Other more expensive machines, Minelab SD; GP; GPX; GPZ - offer more power and programming abilities. My Sand Shark could only find nuggets in Arizona, that were above 2-grams in size, while my GPZ 7000. can find sub-gram gold, and has depth on a one-ounce nugget of an honest 30+ inches.

Attachments

• tree 001.jpg
    tree 001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Terrys2dayhaul.jpg
    Terrys2dayhaul.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Gold 1a.jpg
    Gold 1a.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
J

JameyL

Apr 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! I've got a tdi sl that I've been nugget hunting with in Oregon. I'm thinking of getting a Whites GMT soon to help find smaller gold and maybe bigger gold too! I'm hoping the ground here in Southern Oregon won't be too mineralized and full of hot rocks for the GMT to handle.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info! I've got a tdi sl that I've been nugget hunting with in Oregon. I'm thinking of getting a Whites GMT soon to help find smaller gold and maybe bigger gold too! I'm hoping the ground here in Southern Oregon won't be too mineralized and full of hot rocks for the GMT to handle.

You also need to check out the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/315790/GOLD MONSTER 1000 Mini Manual.pdf BEFORE you buy the GMT! I'm also hearing great things from the goldfields on the Equinox 800. :skullflag:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI gold detectors use a multi-channel signal analysis system to allow ground balance.

They are much less affected by black sand and hot rocks.

None of them except the SDC2300 are particularly sensitene to tiny gold.

The most common PI’s for nigget hunting are the Minelab GP and GPX series, The Garrett ATN and the Whites TDI.

The Minelab GPZ is not a PI detector in the usual sense of the word, but is clearly the best overall gold detector.
Monster - are all VLF Induction Balance detectors and are much more affected by high mineralization - on the other hand, they find the tiniest nuggets.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Falcon MD-20 is the best tool for finding gold.Mine is 7 years old and never let me down.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Falcon MD-20 is the best tool for finding gold.Mine is 7 years old and never let me down.

and it takes how long to cover a hillside or wash?

Can find pieces how deep?

It finds gold it is not the best nugget hunting machine by any stretch.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and it takes how long to cover a hillside or wash?

Can find pieces how deep?

It finds gold it is not the best nugget hunting machine by any stretch.

Oh Really lol 005.JPG 008.JPG 007.JPG 005.JPG

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds.:thumbsup: Am I wrong or did you not just cherry pick from concentrates or visually suspect stones that were picked up?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of that was inside quarts some of it deep.That gold vein w/in that specimen was hidden over 1 down, in solid quarts.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Falcon is a "Pinpointer" - not a metal detector as normally thought of. No one uses the Falcon as a metal detector. :skullflag:

Attachments

• 71xIkx+2tJL._SX522_.jpg
    71xIkx+2tJL._SX522_.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 138

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Falcon is a "Pinpointer" - not a metal detector as normally thought of. No one uses the Falcon as a metal detector. :skullflag:

Call it what ever you want.The pictures speak for themselves.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had lots of luck with PI's finding nuggets.

It's true that they ignore far more hot-rocks than VLF's, and they are much better at handling extreme ground. You can get some nice small coils for them that will allow you to find small gold, but VLF's (as others have said) are better at sniffing out tiny gold.

The ability to ground balance with a PI is crucial when you're in extreme ground, so that's why you want to get one that has excellent circuitry just for that. And, when it comes to chasing gold with a PI, Minelab makes some excellent PI's just for that.

Disadvantages of PI's with great ground balance circuitry (Minelabs), heavy and cumbersome, plus expensive battery systems unless you switch to an aftermarket alternative, and of course, the initial investment purchase price!

So, if you're going to be hunting in severe ground, with lots of annoying hot-rocks, and your main focus is not tiny gold, you'll definitely want a PI.

If your ground isn't that bad and isn't littered with lots (and I do mean lots) of annoying hot-rocks, get a light-weight, far less expensive VLF as they make some excellent units now with digital programs and displays that are quite remarkable when it comes to finding nuggets.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread