Is this gold?

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I found a piece that may be gold. It passes the streak test. I also have a specimen that might be silver which also passes the streak test.

What do y'all think?

gold1.jpg gold2.jpg gold3.jpg

silv1.jpg silv2.jpg silv3.jpg silv4.jpg

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think so. This is gold:skullflag:

Attachments

• bn123.JPG
    bn123.JPG
    343.7 KB · Views: 239

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all hope to find a gold-bearing rock the size of those, molgreg, but it's not very likely. Where did you find the rocks? Is it a known gold-producing area? That's the first question you should ask.
Next, a lot of rocks will "streak". A better test is to use an acid test on the streaks. There's a cheap one available from Amazon (though I find the results of that cheap test somewhat hard to interpret).
Do those rocks flake apart? It looks like they might. If they do, pan the results. Have you panned for fine gold before? If you're experienced, you'll know what's fine gold and what's not.

If you want my opinion (and I'm not an expert), I think those rocks are pyrite. Pyrite could have some fine gold mixed in, but the vast majority of the rock is...just a rock. I hope I'm wrong and you found wonderful gold and silver, but...it's not very likely.
- Brian

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

It's awful hard to tell from pictures sometimes, and that's the issue with trying to tell exactly what you've got from your pictures.

As for highly obvious signs that what you have is gold, it doesn't look like it, but as H-2 Charlie has suggested, one way to find out (it would ruin your chunk of rock of course) is to finely crush the one you think is gold, then pan it out.

By doing that, you'll be able to check out how any gold-coloured particles in the pan move: if they are sluggish, and don't hardly want to move after you've panned the material down to the super-heavies, you've got a better chance of ID'ing gold by its specific gravity. For example, if your gold-coloured particles easily move in the pan, and if they exit the pan's crease quickly before the other heavies, they're not likely gold.

If you've never panned before, watch some good Youtube videos.

All the best,

Lanny

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not crush to PROVE gold. Allow an expert prove it and retain the specimen. What fun is showing a vial full of gold instead of a chunk. Everyone has a vial full. ╦╦Ç

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do not crush to PROVE gold. Allow an expert prove it and retain the specimen. What fun is showing a vial full of gold instead of a chunk. Everyone has a vial full. ╦╦Ç

Can't agree more Terry if a person truly thinks they have specimen gold, never crush it. Generally worth more as a specimen.

All the best,

Lanny

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New guy's opinions: Can you take it into a pawn store? Pawn people do this kind of stuff for a living, I've always found them more than helpful.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New guy's opinions: Can you take it into a pawn store? Pawn people do this kind of stuff for a living, I've always found them more than helpful.
No way! First, he has no idea what it is worth.... or even know how much gold is in it. Second, he cannot give you anything near what it's worth. Best to go to a dealer in raw gold for starters. ╦╦Ç

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree you don't sell it to them, just use their expertise to determine if it is gold. You'd be lucky to get 90% of spot from a pawn store and if they're honest they'll tell you it is worth much more than that.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

I found a piece that may be gold. It passes the streak test. I also have a specimen that might be silver which also passes the streak test.

What do y'all think?

View attachment 1583976 View attachment 1583977 View attachment 1583978

View attachment 1583979 View attachment 1583980 View attachment 1583981 View attachment 1583982

Thank you.

You say it passes the streak test for gold. For one who is unsure, a reliable visual test for gold is to see if it loses the gold color in shaded light. Gold looks like gold both in full and shaded light. Check both the rock and the streak.

Good luck.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First test I apply is the shade. If it still shines, then you might have something.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say crush & pan it. If you found something close to what Terry Soloman posted i would say no. I have yet to see any color in my pan maybe that's why i say it gets the hammer lol.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say crush & pan it. If you found something close to what Terry Soloman posted i would say no. I have yet to see any color in my pan maybe that's why i say it gets the hammer lol.
A "Fire assay" will tell for sure if there is any values. However a 'Hammer and panning assay' :laughing7: will tell you the gravity recoverable values up to a point depending on the equipment used.

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Playing with a Garrett XL-500, it got wet.
Minelab Nox-600.
Garrett pinpointer Pro, Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always ask a jeweller if he could test some of the traces with acid.
Or he may have other methods to try with. It'd be a shame to ruin a nice specimen or just a cool looking rock just to know.
There would be little Gold to get rich off in the examples shown in the first place.

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I doubt very much if the vast majority of pawn shops have even seen natural gold, ever! They also would not even know how to evaluate a nugget or a specimen.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting