Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Benchtesting Rocks & Minerals with a VLF Metal Detector

Introduction

From the earliest time when we were aware of our surroundings, most of us looked for pretty rocks. We wondered what interesting or valuable minerals might possibly comprise them. Now as adult hobbyists, I doubt if any of us hasn’t benchtested an interesting rock from curiosity, and wondered what actually produced the signal.

Although a sensitive benchtest usually has little in common with how marginally conductive rocks and minerals respond to metal detectors in the field due to ground effects, we can learn and become familiar with how rocks and minerals in our respective areas respond to metal detectors in a benchtest. A sensitive metal detector’s electromagnetic field penetrates rocks, usually generating either a positive or a negative signal in response to whatever material is in the rock. We can sometimes determine whether such signals should be investigated further, or whether worthless iron minerals produced them.

I’d generally describe my benchtest results as worthwhile and informative, but that notwithstanding, I look forward to doing a benchtest because I think it is an intriguing study on its own merit. That said, how do you conduct a benchtest? I’ll describe my methods and hopefully we’ll see what you think about it.

20180605_090428.jpg

Benchtest Requirements and Techniques

Benchtesting ideally requires a visually displayed, fully calibrated, manually adjustable ground balance that covers the entire (soil) mineral range from salt to ferrite. As a minimum, the detector should feature a threshold-based true motion all-metal mode, and preferably an additional true non-motion all-metal mode for significantly improved sensitivity to borderline samples. Visual displays in either of the true all-metal modes are essential for target ID, Fe3O4 magnetic susceptibility and GB readouts.

I prefer a small (concentric) coil to promote detector stability and improve sensitivity to the rock sample, to ensure uniform sample exposure to the coil, and to minimize EMI (electromagnetic interference) especially if benchtesting at home. Elevate the sensitivity control as high as possible while maintaining reasonable detector stability such that you can clearly hear changes to the threshold.

To check for a target ID, move the sample back and forth across the coil at a distance that produces the best signal but does not overload the coil. To determine ground balance and Fe3O4 readouts, advance the sample toward the coil, back and forth to within an inch or two (depending on sample size and signal strength) of the coil’s electrical sweetspot. Ensure your hand does not come within detection range of the coil to avoid creating false signals. If you extend your fingers to hold the sample, this is not an issue when testing larger samples. If necessary use a plastic or wood food holder that can firmly grasp small samples.

20180529_072814.jpg

Benchtests should be conducted utilizing a minimum of two widely diverse GB control adjustments. Initially I prefer the same GB control adjustment that is typically required to keep my detector ground-balanced to the substrates in my prospecting areas. It’s a personal preference that works for me. Using the F75 as an example here, that particular GB control point (F75 / GB86) is more likely to improve any rock or mineral sample’s signal strength compared to using a more reduced (more conductive) GB compensation point.

The next step is to use a dramatically reduced GB control adjustment (F75 / GB45) as suggested by Fisher Research Engineering. This setting ensures that (obviously weathered) oxidized samples do not generate a positive signal from any type of non-conductive iron mineral inclusions, particularly maghemite mineralization that may be present within such rocks. It follows that this second benchtest will, if anything, slightly subtract from the sample signal strength, particularly with low grade and otherwise marginally conductive samples, compared to the first step of the benchtest at GB86.

As a general rule, I do not recommend the F75 / GB45 compensation point for benchtesting (non-oxidized) mafic samples that are dominated by constituents such as common magnetite or other black minerals that normally support highly (non-conductive) elevated GB readouts. Such samples can produce strong negative threshold responses at the reduced GB compensation point. It will be difficult or impossible for the signal from a marginally conductive substance to successfully compete with those negative threshold signals. For non-oxidized samples Fisher Research Engineering suggests using F75 / GB65 rather than the F75 / GB45 compensation point, since obvious iron mineral oxidation should visually be absent from such samples.

With the above discussion in mind, extremely fine-grained, unweathered magnetite that occurs in pyroclastic material (for example volcanic ash) can drop into the GB45 range, but it is extremely rare. Unweathered volcanics do frequently drop into the GB70's due to submicron magnetite, but the recommended F75 / GB65 compensation point will eliminate those positive signals.

20180528_024107.jpg

The arsenopyrite sample depicted above is a good example of a commonplace mineral that we encounter in the silverfields of northeastern Ontario. Generally field examples could be described as marginally conductive and many are low-grade. A good many react with only a mild positive signal, and sometimes not at all to a benchtest depending on which GB compensation point is used.

The high-grade, solidly structured sample above produces a strong positive signal in either zero discrimination or true motion all-metal mode with the ground balance control adjusted to the GB compensation point required for our moderately high mineralized soils. As noted, that’s approximately F75 / GB86, although in the field, of course, it varies somewhat depending on location and coil type / size employed.

The response is not as strong as a similar size and shape metalliferous sample would produce, but it does generate a surprisingly strong benchtest signal that would be readily detectable in the field. Even with the GB control dramatically reduced to more conductive values (F75 / GB45), to ensure that any positive signals produced by non-conductive iron mineral inclusions should now only produce a negative threshold signal, it is no surprise that this (non-oxidized) specimen continues to generate a strong signal.

20180605_073755.jpg

For those readers unfamiliar with detector responses to such minerals, the same general response scenario described above with arsenopyrite applies to other marginally conductive minerals such as galena, pyrrhotite and to a lesser extent even iron pyrites. Ordinary iron pyrites is generally innocuous, but maghemitized pyrite, pyrrhotite, and the copper sulfide ores, particularly bornite and chalcocite, can be a real nuisance in the field due to magnetic susceptibility, magnetic viscosity, and / or electrical conductivity, just depending on what minerals are involved.

Such variable responses from arsenopyrite and many other mineral and metalliferous examples clearly infer that signal strength and potential target ID depends on a sample’s physical and chemical characteristics, including the quantity of material within a given rock. These factors include structure, size, shape, purity (overall grade), and magnetic susceptible strength of iron mineral inclusions. Moreover, the VLF detector’s sensitivity, the GB compensation points employed, the coil type and size, and the sample profile presented to the coil further influence benchtest target signal strength and / or potential target ID readouts.

Incidentally, neither of my PI units will respond to the arsenopyrite sample depicted above, even with a TDI Pro equipped with a small round 5” mono coil, the GB control turned off, and a 10 usec pulse delay to deliver its most sensitive detection capability. That result is typical of most, but certainly not all sulfides and arsenides that occur in my areas. Higher grade and solidly structured pyrrhotite, an unwelcome nuisance iron sulfide, and collectible niccolite, a nickel arsenide, are commonplace mineral occurrences here that do respond strongly to PI units, although their respective VLF target ID ranges are quite different.

As a related but slight diversion, the photo below depicts a handsome example of the widely occurring mineral sphalerite. It forms in both sedimentary beds, and in low temperature ore veins. It is interesting to collectors because it possesses a dodecahedral cleavage which means that it breaks smoothly in twelve directions, and it is usually triboluminescent, meaning that it gives off a flash of light when struck sharply. Like many desirable minerals lurking in prospecting country, unfortunately sphalerite doesn’t react to metal detectors.

0.3 LB SPHALERITE SF17GG.JPG

A Final Word

The foregoing is intended to illustrate that sensitive metal detectors can be utilized as a supplementary tool to assist with evaluating rocks and minerals. There is no question that the benchtest has serious limitations, particularly if trying to distinguish positive signals produced by some types of iron mineral inclusions from weak conductive signals.

That notwithstanding, a positive signal that persists below the F75 / GB45 compensation point cannot be confused with iron mineral negative threshold signals produced at that same compensation point. Therefore a positive signal merits further investigation. Such signals are almost certain to be generated by a marginally conductive mineral or a metalliferous substance.

On the more interpretive side of a benchtest, we need to point out that weak positive signals from lower-grade samples of minerals such as arsenopyrite, galena, pyrrhotite, chalcopyrite, and doubtless a few others, may disappear well before the GB control is reduced to the F75 / GB45 compensation point. We learn early that benchtests are frequently equivocal and require interpretation based on any further evidence that might support the benchtest result. Look for iron oxidation in addition to structural or other physical evidence as described above that could explain why a sample reacts as it does to a metal detector.

Jim.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim,

Really enjoy what you've posted here, and it's nice to see such a professional so willing to share your hard-earned knowledge with others. You sir are a detecting treasure in your own right. Many thanks.

All the best,

Lanny

Hi Lanny… thankyou for dropping around with those nice comments. It’s a good opportunity to acknowledge and thank some of the leading experts in the industry over the years for their help with technical information prior to posting such articles to the forums. In particular, Ty Brook of Alabama and Dave Johnson, Chief Design Engineer at First Texas. Both these individuals have reviewed some of my more technical articles and commented where appropriate. Dave added a few additional points of interest about pyroclastic material and its effects on ground phase readouts that were subsequently included into the report.

I enjoyed writing the article, it was a lot fun to do all the mineral photography, benchtesting, and presenting the results. It also served as a diversion from the usual silver articles of the past, which was a refreshing change too.

Benchtesting with a suitable metal detector provides today’s electronic prospector with a useful technique, no different than conducting other mineral tests such as specific gravity, streak, hardness, and so forth. We don’t use it often in our area, but it has a place in our toolbox, and it’s necessary to know how to do it properly. Hence we focused on distinguishing signals produced by iron minerals from those produced by non-ferrous material, for example the sulfide minerals that frequently indicate metalliferous prospects.

I imagine you’ve been busy this summer. The wildfires in British Columbia have constantly been front-page mainstream news headlines over here in Ontario. We’ve had record wildfires in northern Ontario as well. I’ve been thinking about you over the summer, wondering how much the fires may have affected your gold hunting season. As far as I know at present, fires have not impacted the area I’ll be visiting shortly.

Below is another example of generally common minerals. It came to me by swapping silver with an old friend from Alaska several years ago. But I can’t say that I’ve seen any examples of it in the silverfields of northeastern Ontario. I’m starting to run low on decent mineral photos to post here, but then this thread will soon have to be abandoned anyway. The wife’s retirement is next week, hence the unexpected delay, but afterwards we’re off to the north country until late October, then over to Bancroft for a week or two hunting crystals………………… Jim.

1.8 LB AZURITE  MALACHITE SF16BGR.JPG

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Everyone... before abandoning this thread to head north prospecting for the autumn, I thought I’d leave you guys with the unidentified specimen below, and the following description. We don’t see this mineral in our search areas, but maybe you are familiar with it in your areas. I won’t say what I think it is to avoid influencing your ideas about its identity. I hope you will take your best shot at identifying it.

The mineral depicted below is documented in mining literature as occurring in ore veins as a gangue material, and otherwise it also occurs in pegmatites. Its pink / red color is a good clue to its identity if my ID is correct, and you should know that it is not garnet. Below are a few simple observations.

The white background material won't scratch with a kitchen knife, but my workbench steel file did powder an edge slightly. As a point of interest only, the hidden side of the specimen is mostly a black rock-building material that ground balances on the F75 at GB90, but interesting that the Fe3O4 meter readout = ZERO.

Using a 10X-30X-magnification loupe, I couldn't identify any crystal structure, but if my ID is correct, it does occur in beautiful crystalline form that is considered attractive and valuable. It has a vitreous or glassy luster, is translucent or even transparent. I'm not sure how to technically describe it, but the entire encrusted surface is rather rough and bumpy, although it can't be described either as granular or botryoidal.

A steel nail scratches it but a copper penny will not mark it, indicating a probable hardness of about 3 ½ to 4. It also produces a white powdery streak. I didn't want to take a chisel to it, but I think it would be quite brittle and will easily fracture. Assuming that it has previously fractured to its current state, it can be described as uneven and somewhat conchoidal.

That’s it for clues. I hope this “puzzle” will interest you, and that someone can identify it with confidence. I’ll return to this thread later in the season to see what you think about it and reply to you, thanks and good hunting………………. Jim.

5.3 LB SPECIMEN SSF.JPG

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rhodochrosite possibly laced with a little manganese and calcite in the mix?

Hi Jay... it's pretty hard to argue with your identification. It agrees with mine and a knowledgeable friend and mineral / gold hunter from Alaska. You'd think the white material would scratch with a kitchen knife if it was calcite, but then I sometimes think that other small amounts of material in the mix can affect the hardness test. I've seen it with our silver / calcite samples.

Interesting to practically realize that mineralogy isn't exclusively black and white, but rather there are many examples that don't necessarily fit into the "ideal" because of chemical substitutions or inclusions. Or at least that is what I think at present.

Thanks for responding to this "puzzle" Jay. 8-) I didn't anticipate such an early response that would match our tentative identification. Now if anyone else has a possible alternative ID that might apply to this sample, please let us know, that's the idea behind the above post.

Jim.

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Beautiful specimen Jim almost a ruby like quality to it!!
A great photo really helped form a quick opinion on the sample posted.
Much success on your prospecting trip!! More gold and minerals than dirt to you!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'd not seen a post from you in awhile so I did a little searching and I found your post of the frozen strawberries tainted with a bit of blueberry juice, passing it of as a mineral sample my goodness of you! So much for my mineral knowledge.

FYI - I did manage to make it into the mountains of NorCal for a brief stay and it was worth it though I did not really do more than tromp around in the bush as much as my body would allow and when it balked at any more I returned to San Diego. I've posted some pictures of my trip on Tnet and put up a video on Facebook. Also, Asmbandits and Goldwasher and I got together at the Coloma Cafe in the town of the same name with Goldwasher sharing with us one of his specimens, a spectacular Gold on Quartz jewel. Asmbandits posted a picture of it however the picture did not capture the pure elegance of the piece. Here's wishing you a joyous time "out there".................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I'd not seen a post from you in awhile so I did a little searching and I found your post of the frozen strawberries tainted with a bit of blueberry juice, passing it of as a mineral sample my goodness of you! So much for my mineral knowledge.

FYI - I did manage to make it into the mountains of NorCal for a brief stay and it was worth it though I did not really do more than tromp around in the bush as much as my body would allow and when it balked at any more I returned to San Diego. I've posted some pictures of my trip on Tnet and put up a video on Facebook. Also, Asmbandits and Goldwasher and I got together at the Coloma Cafe in the town of the same name with Goldwasher sharing with us one of his specimens, a spectacular Gold on Quartz jewel. Asmbandits posted a picture of it however the picture did not capture the pure elegance of the piece. Here's wishing you a joyous time "out there".................63bkpkr

Hi 63bkpkr… a bit of luck to see your post here. I just returned home for my youngest daughter’s birthday party. Afterwards I’ll be heading back to eastern Ontario to hunt for non-detectable crystals.

Well at least you got out to the mountains for awhile Herb and that is a great way to spend some time. Delighted to learn that you met your friends at the Coloma Café. It sounds intriguing, and I could easily visualize Goldwasher showing you his gold / quartz specimen. I’d bet that he could display many other gold recoveries too. Glad you had a good time out there!! 8-)

The photo below is nothing special except it came to me from my geologist son many years ago from one of his summer field trips to the far away Northwest Territories well above the Arctic Circle. Supposed to have microscopic gold in it but obviously it is non-detectable even with my Goldbug2. It also illustrates that lots of visual iron mineralization doesn’t necessarily translate into serious interference to electromagnetic field penetration. The magnetic susceptibility measurement (Fe3O4) on this rock produced a ZERO readout…………… Jim.

IRON-MINERALIZED QUARTZ SF17BBREDO.JPG

Last edited:

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Playing with a Garrett XL-500, it got wet.
Minelab Nox-600.
Garrett pinpointer Pro, Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jim,
I have been reading and absorbing some of your excellent material.

I am amazed as to why I never really fell into the Silvery side of the prospecting/md'ing pool, most likely because I started out on Vancouver Island in the early to mid Seventies while working in a Copper mine and was shown how to pan, look and dig for Gold.
I live in the North Bay area and certainly have all kinds of areas around me, just a bit North of me and also just a few hours East, to go and drop a coil for a bit and smell the Roses and attempt to read the lay of the land as it were.

I must compliment you on your extremely well written and very thoroughly explained essays, observations and stories. If I could bottle it up and sip it or put it on top of my head to let Osmosis saturate the cobweb filled corridors of my mind I would be happy to gain knowledge in that way, but unfortunately it is going to take a few re-reads, a five pound Hammer, and some serious "sit down" time to tap all of that intel into my thick stubborn Dutch skull! but I will!
Even with the vast stores of knowledge you so effortlessly lay out for us, including the lovely pictures (I am a visualist by nature, and a picture speaks volumes), it will take time and study to make at least some of it stick and retrievable for use in the field.

I just recently re-discovered the lost door (The one with the thick squeaky Bronze hinges that were stuck tight), to the world of panning and metal detecting and am getting myself geared up again with reading, readying up with equipment and things, to finally re-attack the prospect of prospecting.

It is because of good and kind people like you, who give freely from their hard earned knowledge, that people like myself get a second wind and energy to go at it once more.
Silver never had a big spark for me, but because of one kind soul (seriously, you're it), it is now not just kindling burning anymore, but a raging fire to rejoin the old lust for the hunt and a new subject to explore. Yey!
Who could have known?

I will surely enjoy more of your keen mind exposed here on this excellent forum, and hope to start the coming season out with maybe some results from our own "out back" here in the Silver Povince.
All of that to be added to some spots for possible colour in my area which will or may not prove out.
All in all, you have my attention and I am taking names!

May God richly bless your talents and kind giving spirit,
Regards, John.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Jim,
I have been reading and absorbing some of your excellent material.

I am amazed as to why I never really fell into the Silvery side of the prospecting/md'ing pool, most likely because I started out on Vancouver Island in the early to mid Seventies while working in a Copper mine and was shown how to pan, look and dig for Gold.
I live in the North Bay area and certainly have all kinds of areas around me, just a bit North of me and also just a few hours East, to go and drop a coil for a bit and smell the Roses and attempt to read the lay of the land as it were.

I must compliment you on your extremely well written and very thoroughly explained essays, observations and stories. If I could bottle it up and sip it or put it on top of my head to let Osmosis saturate the cobweb filled corridors of my mind I would be happy to gain knowledge in that way, but unfortunately it is going to take a few re-reads, a five pound Hammer, and some serious "sit down" time to tap all of that intel into my thick stubborn Dutch skull! but I will!
Even with the vast stores of knowledge you so effortlessly lay out for us, including the lovely pictures (I am a visualist by nature, and a picture speaks volumes), it will take time and study to make at least some of it stick and retrievable for use in the field.

I just recently re-discovered the lost door (The one with the thick squeaky Bronze hinges that were stuck tight), to the world of panning and metal detecting and am getting myself geared up again with reading, readying up with equipment and things, to finally re-attack the prospect of prospecting.

It is because of good and kind people like you, who give freely from their hard earned knowledge, that people like myself get a second wind and energy to go at it once more.
Silver never had a big spark for me, but because of one kind soul (seriously, you're it), it is now not just kindling burning anymore, but a raging fire to rejoin the old lust for the hunt and a new subject to explore. Yey!
Who could have known?

I will surely enjoy more of your keen mind exposed here on this excellent forum, and hope to start the coming season out with maybe some results from our own "out back" here in the Silver Povince.
All of that to be added to some spots for possible colour in my area which will or may not prove out.
All in all, you have my attention and I am taking names!

May God richly bless your talents and kind giving spirit,
Regards, John.

Thankyou John for the above kindly comments. I’ve received a few such replies over the years from hobbyists, and it makes it all worthwhile. I’m glad that you enjoyed reading those articles, and do hope they were informative and helpful to you. I suggest that you copy any articles of interest to your files for reference.

Residing nearby in North Bay, I think that if you visit a few times to the silver area at Cobalt, you will scrape acquaintance with some of the skilled local hunters. A number of them have been associated with the Haileybury School of Mines, and several frequent this forum. I would also be happy to help you with finding native silver next autumn.

I’ve attached a multi-silver photo so that you can view some more differently structured specimen grade native silver. You can find quality material if you’re willing to work at it and persevere, and it will involve your willingness to use a pick and shovel to move away surface material…………….. Jim.

20161128_022107.jpg

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim,

Amen to everything John had to say about how wonderful, how giving, how instructive, how knowledgable about detecting you are, and what a great and kind person you are to boot!

Couldn't have said it any better, so won't even try.

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Time, oh good, good time...where did you go?"

Learning about life
Making mistakes
Righting what mistakes we could/can
Finding and Marrying a Wonderful Woman
Having children and loving them
Doing what is right most of the time
Trying to be a good person
Loving and forgiving others
Trying to forgive ourselves
Having a few amazing adventures
Offering a few prayers for others and ourselves
Trying over and over and over till the life leaves our bodies but we aren't there yet, not yet so there is still more to do (maybe I can find That Woman)! IMHO....................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread