Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Benchtesting Rocks & Minerals with a VLF Metal Detector

Introduction

From the earliest time when we were aware of our surroundings, most of us looked for pretty rocks. We wondered what interesting or valuable minerals might possibly comprise them. Now as adult hobbyists, I doubt if any of us hasn’t benchtested an interesting rock from curiosity, and wondered what actually produced the signal.

Although a sensitive benchtest usually has little in common with how marginally conductive rocks and minerals respond to metal detectors in the field due to ground effects, we can learn and become familiar with how rocks and minerals in our respective areas respond to metal detectors in a benchtest. A sensitive metal detector’s electromagnetic field penetrates rocks, usually generating either a positive or a negative signal in response to whatever material is in the rock. We can sometimes determine whether such signals should be investigated further, or whether worthless iron minerals produced them.

I’d generally describe my benchtest results as worthwhile and informative, but that notwithstanding, I look forward to doing a benchtest because I think it is an intriguing study on its own merit. That said, how do you conduct a benchtest? I’ll describe my methods and hopefully we’ll see what you think about it.

20180605_090428.jpg

Benchtest Requirements and Techniques

Benchtesting ideally requires a visually displayed, fully calibrated, manually adjustable ground balance that covers the entire (soil) mineral range from salt to ferrite. As a minimum, the detector should feature a threshold-based true motion all-metal mode, and preferably an additional true non-motion all-metal mode for significantly improved sensitivity to borderline samples. Visual displays in either of the true all-metal modes are essential for target ID, Fe3O4 magnetic susceptibility and GB readouts.

I prefer a small (concentric) coil to promote detector stability and improve sensitivity to the rock sample, to ensure uniform sample exposure to the coil, and to minimize EMI (electromagnetic interference) especially if benchtesting at home. Elevate the sensitivity control as high as possible while maintaining reasonable detector stability such that you can clearly hear changes to the threshold.

To check for a target ID, move the sample back and forth across the coil at a distance that produces the best signal but does not overload the coil. To determine ground balance and Fe3O4 readouts, advance the sample toward the coil, back and forth to within an inch or two (depending on sample size and signal strength) of the coil’s electrical sweetspot. Ensure your hand does not come within detection range of the coil to avoid creating false signals. If you extend your fingers to hold the sample, this is not an issue when testing larger samples. If necessary use a plastic or wood food holder that can firmly grasp small samples.

20180529_072814.jpg

Benchtests should be conducted utilizing a minimum of two widely diverse GB control adjustments. Initially I prefer the same GB control adjustment that is typically required to keep my detector ground-balanced to the substrates in my prospecting areas. It’s a personal preference that works for me. Using the F75 as an example here, that particular GB control point (F75 / GB86) is more likely to improve any rock or mineral sample’s signal strength compared to using a more reduced (more conductive) GB compensation point.

The next step is to use a dramatically reduced GB control adjustment (F75 / GB45) as suggested by Fisher Research Engineering. This setting ensures that (obviously weathered) oxidized samples do not generate a positive signal from any type of non-conductive iron mineral inclusions, particularly maghemite mineralization that may be present within such rocks. It follows that this second benchtest will, if anything, slightly subtract from the sample signal strength, particularly with low grade and otherwise marginally conductive samples, compared to the first step of the benchtest at GB86.

As a general rule, I do not recommend the F75 / GB45 compensation point for benchtesting (non-oxidized) mafic samples that are dominated by constituents such as common magnetite or other black minerals that normally support highly (non-conductive) elevated GB readouts. Such samples can produce strong negative threshold responses at the reduced GB compensation point. It will be difficult or impossible for the signal from a marginally conductive substance to successfully compete with those negative threshold signals. For non-oxidized samples Fisher Research Engineering suggests using F75 / GB65 rather than the F75 / GB45 compensation point, since obvious iron mineral oxidation should visually be absent from such samples.

With the above discussion in mind, extremely fine-grained, unweathered magnetite that occurs in pyroclastic material (for example volcanic ash) can drop into the GB45 range, but it is extremely rare. Unweathered volcanics do frequently drop into the GB70's due to submicron magnetite, but the recommended F75 / GB65 compensation point will eliminate those positive signals.

20180528_024107.jpg

The arsenopyrite sample depicted above is a good example of a commonplace mineral that we encounter in the silverfields of northeastern Ontario. Generally field examples could be described as marginally conductive and many are low-grade. A good many react with only a mild positive signal, and sometimes not at all to a benchtest depending on which GB compensation point is used.

The high-grade, solidly structured sample above produces a strong positive signal in either zero discrimination or true motion all-metal mode with the ground balance control adjusted to the GB compensation point required for our moderately high mineralized soils. As noted, that’s approximately F75 / GB86, although in the field, of course, it varies somewhat depending on location and coil type / size employed.

The response is not as strong as a similar size and shape metalliferous sample would produce, but it does generate a surprisingly strong benchtest signal that would be readily detectable in the field. Even with the GB control dramatically reduced to more conductive values (F75 / GB45), to ensure that any positive signals produced by non-conductive iron mineral inclusions should now only produce a negative threshold signal, it is no surprise that this (non-oxidized) specimen continues to generate a strong signal.

20180605_073755.jpg

For those readers unfamiliar with detector responses to such minerals, the same general response scenario described above with arsenopyrite applies to other marginally conductive minerals such as galena, pyrrhotite and to a lesser extent even iron pyrites. Ordinary iron pyrites is generally innocuous, but maghemitized pyrite, pyrrhotite, and the copper sulfide ores, particularly bornite and chalcocite, can be a real nuisance in the field due to magnetic susceptibility, magnetic viscosity, and / or electrical conductivity, just depending on what minerals are involved.

Such variable responses from arsenopyrite and many other mineral and metalliferous examples clearly infer that signal strength and potential target ID depends on a sample’s physical and chemical characteristics, including the quantity of material within a given rock. These factors include structure, size, shape, purity (overall grade), and magnetic susceptible strength of iron mineral inclusions. Moreover, the VLF detector’s sensitivity, the GB compensation points employed, the coil type and size, and the sample profile presented to the coil further influence benchtest target signal strength and / or potential target ID readouts.

Incidentally, neither of my PI units will respond to the arsenopyrite sample depicted above, even with a TDI Pro equipped with a small round 5” mono coil, the GB control turned off, and a 10 usec pulse delay to deliver its most sensitive detection capability. That result is typical of most, but certainly not all sulfides and arsenides that occur in my areas. Higher grade and solidly structured pyrrhotite, an unwelcome nuisance iron sulfide, and collectible niccolite, a nickel arsenide, are commonplace mineral occurrences here that do respond strongly to PI units, although their respective VLF target ID ranges are quite different.

As a related but slight diversion, the photo below depicts a handsome example of the widely occurring mineral sphalerite. It forms in both sedimentary beds, and in low temperature ore veins. It is interesting to collectors because it possesses a dodecahedral cleavage which means that it breaks smoothly in twelve directions, and it is usually triboluminescent, meaning that it gives off a flash of light when struck sharply. Like many desirable minerals lurking in prospecting country, unfortunately sphalerite doesn’t react to metal detectors.

0.3 LB SPHALERITE SF17GG.JPG

A Final Word

The foregoing is intended to illustrate that sensitive metal detectors can be utilized as a supplementary tool to assist with evaluating rocks and minerals. There is no question that the benchtest has serious limitations, particularly if trying to distinguish positive signals produced by some types of iron mineral inclusions from weak conductive signals.

That notwithstanding, a positive signal that persists below the F75 / GB45 compensation point cannot be confused with iron mineral negative threshold signals produced at that same compensation point. Therefore a positive signal merits further investigation. Such signals are almost certain to be generated by a marginally conductive mineral or a metalliferous substance.

On the more interpretive side of a benchtest, we need to point out that weak positive signals from lower-grade samples of minerals such as arsenopyrite, galena, pyrrhotite, chalcopyrite, and doubtless a few others, may disappear well before the GB control is reduced to the F75 / GB45 compensation point. We learn early that benchtests are frequently equivocal and require interpretation based on any further evidence that might support the benchtest result. Look for iron oxidation in addition to structural or other physical evidence as described above that could explain why a sample reacts as it does to a metal detector.

Jim.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Jim for this interesting, thought provoking intelligent article though I must admit that it will take "ME" sometime to understand before I can put all of your information to good use especially as I am preparing to take a trip into the hills. But, thank you...............63bkpkr

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Jim for this interesting, thought provoking intelligent article though I must admit that it will take "ME" sometime to understand before I can put all of your information to good use especially as I am preparing to take a trip into the hills. But, thank you...............63bkpkr

Thanks for replying with those kind words Herb!!! It's been fairly quiet on this forum by and large for quite some time. And I didn't anticipate too much interest in this topic, but hoped it might make an enjoyable read.

The GB compensation point for the F75 at GB45 essentially accomplishes the same thing as the Falcon 20 except that obviously it doesn’t have the 300 kHz Falcon’s extreme sensitivity. Iron mineralizations will produce a negative threshold response, therefore conductive positive signals produced as the sample is advanced towards the coil should be investigated. Very weak positive signals that should respond on the Falcon may not respond at this GB45 compensation point.

The potential issue is if the sample contains both a highly reactive iron mineralization and a conductive substance. Then it remains to be seen which will have the dominant signal. The mortar and pestle is undoubtedly a better solution for investigating suspect samples, detectors can only tell us so much.

There were quite a few mineral samples that could not be included into this article so let's post specular hematite below. I don’t know if you encounter this material in the southwest. We have some high production iron mines in several localities, including the renowned surface extraction facility at Marmora, Ontario. Unlike other types of hematite (that I know about) this material, although not exhibiting nearly the full magnetic susceptible strength of magnetite, does seriously react to VLF metal detectors.

That's it for now Herb, good luck with your gold hunting trip, we'll look forward to hearing from you when you've returned. Have a great time!!! :)

1.2 OZT SPECULAR HEMATITE SF16GG.JPG

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Jim I will have a wonderful time even if the only Gold I find is the type that invites wonder and joy being out in those exciting mountains and canyons especially the ones with water running through them. At 74 years of age and recovering well from an April 06 shoulder rebuild I am So in need of a good amount of time "Out There". I was asked this evening by a dear sweet lady why don't you just live in the city? I responded to her that a part of me would die if I could not be in the out of doors and that is just the way it is. Keep on sharing good sir and I will do the same, more when I have it.........................63bkpkr (aka Herb)

IMG_3468.JPG

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are more than welcome Herb, it is always a pleasure to chat with you. You’ve been involved with the hobby for as many years as I can remember, and you invariably have something sage or an insightful experience to share with us.

Time does slip away, and before you know it we’re senior citizens!!! But it’s probably more to do with your employment responsibilities, change in residence locations, and subsequent shoulder surgery that has kept you sidelined for so long. I don’t doubt that a good long sojourn into remote wild places will do you the world of good. With or without finding gold, the trip will be a beneficial experience that ought to leave you feeling revitalized. Now just a reminder to not overdo things, because you're fresh off the convalescence, and it has been awhile since you’ve shouldered a heavy load for any length of time through such rugged terrain.

I should have mentioned in the above post that while the F75 / GB45 compensation point mimics the 300 kHz Falcon although obviously it is not as sensitive, the F75’s lower operating frequency and much larger coil size should improve electromagnetic field penetration when testing larger rock samples. Incidentally, I see no reason why other prospecting-capable VLF detectors cannot be used in the same manner providing that a ground balance compensation point is identified such that it eliminates positive signals from all iron mineral types.

I don’t remember exactly where the sample below came from, although it’s undoubtedly from an abandoned site in the Temagami copper district just south of northeastern Ontario’s silver producing areas. It’s a more typical example of the nuisance chalcopyrite that we occasionally detect in the field as compared to the fine specimens used to illustrate mineralogy texts.

Jim.

PS: Thankyou for sharing that charming campfire photo above. It struck me as an ideal size and shape designed to keep the fire reasonably small and not require too much fuel to keep it good and hot. Absolute perfection Herb, throw another log on the fire for me!!!

1.8 OZT CHALCOCITE SF16YGLASS.JPG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Professor of Engineering… thankyou for dropping around and commenting about the article. It only took a few hours to write, and I habitually photograph all my rock and mineral samples, so they were already available to use. It was motivated in part because lately I’ve been reading my Canada Geological Survey Reports entitled Rocks & Minerals for the Collector authored by Ann P. Sabina. These always get me fired-up about rockhounding and benchtesting rock samples.

In reading about abandoned mines across Canada, there invariably is a detailed list of associated minerals that include the sulfide group. Sulfides occur everywhere because they form in hydrothermal veins, in magmas, and some such as iron pyrites and marcasite (iron sulfides) even form in sedimentary environs. It is not unusual to find several sulfides in close association, for example galena, sphalerite and frequently fluorite are commonly found together.

Sulfides are the major ores of many metals such as lead, zinc, silver, iron, antimony, bismuth, molybdenum, nickel, and copper. Gold is also commonly found in sulfide deposits. Many sulfides and other indicator minerals are not detectable in the field due to ground effects, but sometimes do respond with a positive signal to the F75 / GB45 benchtest compensation point or equivalent on other VLF detectors. So while there are obvious shortcomings, the technique could prove handy either in the field or back at home for checking suspect rock samples. That's about it for now, thanks again for popping by!!! :)

0.5 LB FLUORITE SPHALERITE DEFRAME SS17BB.JPG

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Great article as usual Jim. I will be heading up to silver country in early September. As more and more sites become restricted, it may be necessary to venture further into Gowganda.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great article as usual Jim. I will be heading up to silver country in early September. As more and more sites become restricted, it may be necessary to venture further into Gowganda.

Hi Fred… thanks for dropping around and commenting. If access in that area becomes a deterring issue, there are plenty of other valuable and interesting minerals to be found elsewhere. The Bancroft area is a whole lot closer and the mineral diversity within a radius of say twenty miles of town is incomparable. The area literature indicates that 95% of all minerals known to man occur within fifty miles of the townsite.

I’ll be heading north in early September and probably stay until the third week of October. I’ll be camped at Loon Lake as usual. I don’t plan to trench or do any strenuous digging this year, so I’ll probably ‘scrape and detect’ a few sites and hope for the best.

Hope you are enjoying retirement Fred. It’s quite a change in lifestyle, but we do have extra time to indulge our interests at a more leisurely pace, which is nice……………………. Jim.

1.9 OZT NATIVE SILVER NUGGET SSFGRNYGDD18.JPG

3.8 OZT BIOTITE SF17GGLASS.JPG

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Thanks Jim. I grew up spending my summers in Bancroft. I have been a rock hound for over 50 years and have attended the Rockhound Gemboree almost every year.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim. I grew up spending my summers in Bancroft. I have been a rock hound for over 50 years and have attended the Rockhound Gemboree almost every year.

You’re welcome Fred, it’s always a pleasure to hear from you. I think the main benefit of these forums is the opportunity to develop contacts and friendships, based on sharing mutual interests in rocks and minerals. I hope that translates into exploring for silver with you this September.

I’m hoping to get to the Bancroft area for at least a week or two later in the summer. If not then, it’ll have to be late October or early November. I have to find a campground that provides hydro and permits camping well into the late autumn season. Tory Hill (Gibson property) is a definite destination for apatite, titanite, and to a lesser extent feldspars, amphiboles, pyroxenites and possibly even richterite. If time permits, then it’s over to the Wilberforce area (Grace Lake) for tremolite and other interesting things. Do you still visit those areas to search for mineral-bearing fissures?

The photo immediately below is a lithium aluminum silicate called spodumene. You are probably familiar with this mineral although the color variations are labeled differently. This colorless, opaque to translucent example is further identified as cymophane. It came to me years ago from a California mineral collector who wanted to trade for some native silver. He also exchanged some purple spodumene called kunzite, but it doesn't take a decent photo.................... Jim.

0.51 OZT SPODUMENE CYMOPHANE SF17GG.JPG

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. Hemmingway, :notworthy:

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr. Hemmingway, :notworthy:

Hi Terry… thanks for dropping by to acknowledge the article. I’m really pleased that you took a few moments to look things over on this thread. I enjoy reading your knowledgeable posts, and appreciate that you are preeminent in the hobby, regardless whether gold prospecting in the wilds of Arizona or coin hunting potentially risky areas in New York City.

The above write-up discusses a technique that could be useful to rock hunters / prospectors already possessing suitable metal detectors, such that no additional expense is required to benchtest rocks and minerals. Below are two photos of minerals you are doubtless familiar with in the areas you prospect for gold.

All the very best and thanks again for stopping by for a quick howdy!!! :)

Jim.

0.7 OZT LIMONITE TWO SF16GG.JPG

1.5 GALENA ORE DEFRAME SS17BB.JPG

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Yes Jim, I still search the Gibson Occurance for gem quality apatite. I will be there for a week in early August. Looking forward to seeing you in September after I attend the gem and mineral show in Denver.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Jim, I still search the Gibson Occurance for gem quality apatite. I will be there for a week in early August. Looking forward to seeing you in September after I attend the gem and mineral show in Denver.

Hi Fred… thanks for letting me know. I’m looking forward to visiting a few sites in the general area. I’m quite keen on becoming more proficient with searching for non-detectable minerals.

With retirement you’d anticipate that there would be ample time to get up there. But somehow, with household chores, family commitments and other interests, not to mention some pretty good excuses, I just haven’t followed through with any real resolve. I find it so easy to be complacent, but that has got to change. How are the bugs in that area in early August?

Also Fred... I thought the Bancroft Gemboree was coming up shortly....................... Jim.

0.7 OZT MARCASITE SF16YG.JPG

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim I do smile at this "With retirement you’d anticipate that there would be ample time to get up there. But somehow, with household chores, family commitments and other interests, not to mention some pretty good excuses, I just haven’t followed through with any real resolve. I find it so easy to be complacent, but that has got to change. How are the bugs in that area in early August?"

I smile at this because I'm 'Only' 74 years of age, have a shoulder I'm still recouping from surgery, have done 'something' to my right knee, looks like camping this year will not happen due to the knee And I still need to work for a living, Sigh! "What a revoltin development this is", you may recall the old show that line comes from. My Best regards to you and DO Enjoy the retirement and do not allow too much time to slip by before reaching the important things on your bucket list!..................................Herb

Back when I first started hiking in the wilderness Green Valley Fishing.jpg

September 2017
IMG_3394.JPG

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim I do smile at this "With retirement you’d anticipate that there would be ample time to get up there. But somehow, with household chores, family commitments and other interests, not to mention some pretty good excuses, I just haven’t followed through with any real resolve. I find it so easy to be complacent, but that has got to change. How are the bugs in that area in early August?"

I smile at this because I'm 'Only' 74 years of age, have a shoulder I'm still recouping from surgery, have done 'something' to my right knee, looks like camping this year will not happen due to the knee And I still need to work for a living, Sigh! "What a revoltin development this is", you may recall the old show that line comes from. My Best regards to you and DO Enjoy the retirement and do not allow too much time to slip by before reaching the important things on your bucket list!..................................Herb

Back when I first started hiking in the wilderness View attachment 1614014

September 2017
View attachment 1614015

At 74 years Herb, you are seven years my senior and undoubtedly much wiser in the ways of this old world. Odd thing is that physically I don’t feel those years much. No surgeries or debilitations thus far. A lifetime of serious jogging may have helped, but I’ve seen enough to know that unfortunately regular lifestyle exercise doesn’t prevent many issues we aging folks may face.

I find myself becoming complacent, and growing less determined to go prospecting for silver. And when I do go, I no longer feel nearly as motivated to put in the hours or hard work to get results. I guess the challenge isn’t there anymore. It’s difficult to break an adult lifetime habit even temporarily, but at the same time I think that a change might be a healthy, refreshing diversion.

It would still have to mean getting into wilderness environs, but perhaps spend more time searching for some of the diversity of non-detectable mineral occurrences in the Bancroft area of eastern-central Ontario. That thought may be what motivated me to write the above article about benchtesting rocks and minerals, striving for a diversion from usual habits.

I hope your shoulder and knee recover in good time such that you can again venture forth into your beloved mountains before winter arrives, and the happiness it so obviously brings to you. My wife and longtime prospecting partner (aka Prospector Bill, don't ask how she came up with that name) and I can certainly empathize with those feelings because we have them in good measure for our search areas too. There is no substitute for being comfortably at home in the woods…………........ Jim.

PS: Thankyou for those two marvelous photos. We found the second photo particularly endearing Herb, probably because it’s more recent. Thankyou very much for posting them both to this thread. :)

7.2 LB SODALITE SF18WGREDO.JPG

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great thread here Jim.
As you may remember or not since it has been a while since I last chimed in..... I use a V3i.
It has some great features, one of which is called "Ground Probe"
It measures the conductivity of the ground matrix as well as reading the full VDI range.
It may be a very useful tool in the V3i bag.

Here is a description from a post at White's forum.

Well that didn't work so here is a link to the post.
Ground Probe

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bancroft Gemborree is the first weekend in August. Then I go to the big show in Denver Colorado in September

Thanks for the confirmation Fred. I can’t make it because my youngest son’s birthday party falls on the long weekend. Too bad because I’d like to attend and see how various minerals are priced, particularly gem quality apatite.

Have a good trip to Denver, seems like a long way to go, but it must be quite informative and interesting there. Hope to see you up north in a month or so, you may recognize the mineral below as it comes from the silver area………….. Jim.

1.6 LB CHRYSOTILE SERPENTINE SF16YGLASS.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions