if a tree falls in the forrest?

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
got out a little the other day. heard it was going to be a cool day. went looking for new ground. found some bedrock deep in the manzanita forrest. looked very promising and i thought there was a very good chance it hasnt been pressured. I finished my coffee and went to swinging. targets were few, but so was any indication of prior detecting. another thing i noticed was lack of prior mining. i didnt let the signs affect my diligence. every target was can slaw. not a nail, bullet, or otherwise. i was surprised. after about 3 hours i pulled shop and headed to a location i know might have another surprise waiting for me. now the wind has kicked up to dangerous levels. i tried to stay away from trees as best i could. to put it into context....i use killer b's headphones. they work very well at keeping external sound out.....i heard that sound ...crack...crackkkk!!!! and i flipped off the phones quick as i could. 200 ft away down went a full size tree....a day is a day, whether its a white shark or a falling tree.

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
yea ,they come down quick. one missed me and my dog by 25feet,a lady at our park lost her leg from one.
be safe, brad

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was panning once a few years ago. I keep hearing these little random cracks.

Can't tell where its coming from.

All of a sudden.. SNAP!!

An oak like a hundred feet down stream on the same bank let go about two feet above the ground and drops across the stream.

I barely had a chance to stop panning...so, I just started panning again I didn't even stand up.

ButteCo.Bedrock

Mar 2, 2017
NorCal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for one of the fed agencies that is so popular on this site as a FF. Snags and fire weakened trees are one of the banes of my existence. Be careful out there.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
when im in the tall trees i try to look up often. areas that have burned i stay away from. windy days in a conifer forest are also dangerous. the difference between them is predictability. burned trees and widow makers can let loose anytime. same with large oaks.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I was panning once a few years ago. I keep hearing these little random cracks.

Can't tell where its coming from.

All of a sudden.. SNAP!!

An oak like a hundred feet down stream on the same bank let go about two feet above the ground and drops across the stream.

I barely had a chance to stop panning...so, I just started panning again I didn't even stand up.
on my dads property there is a chair that has been crushed by a massive oak limb. he was sitting in that chair 30 seconds before it was squashed. thankfully a pig saved his life.....you cant eat a pig like that all at once.............in all seriousness, his friend in another blind shot a pig, and my dad walked over to help retrieve it. his friend thought my dad was a goner

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup things that are up high fall to the ground: space ships, meteors, mountain tops, boulders, trees etc. Generally it is not good to be under any of these just before they hit the ground where you are standing, sitting, sleeping, etc. Being near one of these occurrences can be interesting to exciting. My brother, who lives in Alaska, was on a hunting expedition with his hunting buddy. They'd made camp along a forested lake then decided to motor up the lake to take a look see. Some distance from camp they beached their boat and went for a hike to look for Moose. When they returned to the lake a wind had kicked up creating white caps on the waves.

As they were standing there looking out at potential trouble, each of them wondering how high the 'pucker factor' would be trying to navigate those waves, a fellow hunter emerged from the woods near by and offered to have them stay at his cabin till the storm died down. They thanked him for his kindness but they wanted to try to return to their camp so off they went. Out on the water the wind driven waves raised the hair on the backs of their necks each of them finding the answer to the 'pucker factor' question they had wondered about back on the safe land they returned to the beach and spent the night in a nice warm cabin with their kind host.

The next morning the winds were gone so off they went back to their camp. When they arrived at their tent they found that a large section of pine tree had fallen right on top of their tent. We all make our choices to go out into the "country side" to enjoy ourselves weighing the factors we are aware of to judge our relative safety out there. I've been doing this for over 50 years having come close once to buying my final ticket happily it was only close however it did offer to me further guidance to my activities. Be prepared, look up, look around and really think about what and where I'm camping, climbing, digging, swimming, dumping - you know doing life's things. Yes, I will still go out there till my body says nope, the 'pucker factor' is just too darn high! Be safe!.....................63bkpkr

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had to tow a Nissan Pathfinder a couple years back. The people were driving along the Young Rd. in northern Az. during a wind event, when a medium sized Ponderosa Pine landed across the hood of their vehicle. A large limb on that tree went right through the engine block and into the pavement. You can imagine what would have happened in a split second had they been driving just slightly faster that day. Luckily the people are ok, however the Pathfinder was extensively totaled. Dennis

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
thats the problem when you dont have a non interference engine.... :laughing7:.....joking of course....i had a hardbody nissan excellent vehicle. keep up on timing belts, avoid trees, oil is optional

Last edited:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have walked the forest and on a clear calm day heard a large tree come crashing down...fortunately not on us!

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20180622_134124700_HDR.jpg speak of the devil...one just got my tool trailer

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I guess I've been lucky over the last 38 years living in a pecan tree grove. Big limbs have fallen but not on the house. Going to do some crowning this fall.$$$$$. Be careful out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread