Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: which detector can handle hot rocks/cold stones better than SDC2300

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 sdc 2300
    1185 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    my favorite sound on the sdc is when it is a very low broad mellow signal. sounds like bird shot, but larger...almost always gold.
    Goldwasher and Terry Soloman like this.
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

de
    Apr 2017
    Germany
    Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
    282 times
    Prospecting
    Gerry from Gerry's detectors recommended the Equinox 800 to me as a machine that would give me the best of both worlds. Means coin and relic hunting and small Gold also. As I'm searching in the water the machine is waterproof up to 10 feet. I would love to hear your opinions and probably experiences with this machine. From the first look it seems to be rather complicated but with a good reliable target ID and exact descrimination I could probably get around the hot rocks much better?

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 sdc 2300
    1185 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    its like comparing apples to oranges. a vlf by the vary nature of the type of technology, cannot do what the sdc can do. you have the best small gold detector money can buy!!!!!!!!!!!! pm me next time youre in northern california.... you will go home with gold that you found.
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5180 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by beekbuster View Post
    its like comparing apples to oranges. a vlf by the vary nature of the type of technology, cannot do what the sdc can do. you have the best small gold detector money can buy!!!!!!!!!!!! pm me next time youre in northern california.... you will go home with gold that you found.
    Wow! Now that's the kind of thing only a truly unselfish person is willing to do to help out a rookie!

What you've told Horst is solid gold. If his SDC is functioning properly, he's got the premier pulse machine for small gold and it's pretty much clutching at straws to think a VLF will outperform it when it comes to hot rocks or ironstone. Yes, in mild ground it's easier to swing a VLF, and some of them might get more small gold in those conditions as fatigue wouldn't be as much of a factor, but he's already got the best of the best for small gold when it comes to a detector that can handle mineralization.

I'm sad he hasn't experienced any success yet, but I'm not convinced it's because he has the wrong machine, but I do understand the frustrating nature of being in an area loaded with ironstone--been there--done that--many times, but with enough experience, a nugget shooter should still be able to hear the gold in the same area as well. A super-magnet on a wand would help solve a lot of the ironstone problem as when the ironstone is plucked out of the equation in a selected area, things quiet down fast and then the gold is easier to hear.

I think Horst was in an area of concentrated ironstone, but I believe he needs more time-on-task. As Steve H. over on detectorprospector.com recommends, I believe Horst needs to get some various sizes of little pieces of aluminum, go sprinkle or bury them on or in some test ground and practice finding those bits with his machine (as they sound like gold) until he "tunes" his ear to what he's looking for. There's no substitute for time spent swinging a machine while finding and recovering targets--no substitute whatsoever.

All the best, and thanks for extending your generous offer to Horst,

Lanny
    Last edited by Lanny in AB; Dec 06, 2018 at 08:19 AM.
    bug, beekbuster, 63bkpkr and 2 others like this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

de
    Apr 2017
    Germany
    282 times
    Prospecting
    I have received so much very valuable help and already have made friends here on treasurenet. It really means a world to me. Last year we met Joe right here on treasurenet. He picked us up at the hotel - we never met before - we went to Roaring Camp together, Kerstin my lovely wife, Joe and me. After a few hours Kerstin and I felt like we have known him forever. So is Rick - we met him in California and he let me work on his claim on the North Yuba. Unfortunately I did not hear from him since the fires went on. I'm praying for him but god knows what happened. I still hope to hear from him. We also met Pauly "Pioneer Pauly" in Canada. A hell of a good person!There are so many good people out here. Thank you all and god bless you and yours.
    I know I don't have the chance to practice under live conditions. I have a very limited time when travelling overseas. I enjoyed Joe's and my trip to Stanton AZ this year very much. I did not find gold but BBs, tiny pieces of lead shavings, all kinds of crap und a burrow shoe at least 100 years old.
    I'm still dreaming of my first piece of gold with a MD but being out there with friends is worth much more.
    Now, my next project will be "hunting another animal" like beekbuster supposed. I will try to get me a Nox 800 as soon as my budget allows and start hunting coins and relics as a lot of guys been roaming my area hundreds of years ago.
    I wish you and your families a very happy and peaceful christmas. The days before christmas are the days most miracles happen.

God bless

Horst

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5180 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Horst View Post
    I have received so much very valuable help and already have made friends here on treasurenet. It really means a world to me. Last year we met Joe right here on treasurenet. He picked us up at the hotel - we never met before - we went to Roaring Camp together, Kerstin my lovely wife, Joe and me. After a few hours Kerstin and I felt like we have known him forever. So is Rick - we met him in California and he let me work on his claim on the North Yuba. Unfortunately I did not hear from him since the fires went on. I'm praying for him but god knows what happened. I still hope to hear from him. We also met Pauly "Pioneer Pauly" in Canada. A hell of a good person!There are so many good people out here. Thank you all and god bless you and yours.
    I know I don't have the chance to practice under live conditions. I have a very limited time when travelling overseas. I enjoyed Joe's and my trip to Stanton AZ this year very much. I did not find gold but BBs, tiny pieces of lead shavings, all kinds of crap und a burrow shoe at least 100 years old.
    I'm still dreaming of my first piece of gold with a MD but being out there with friends is worth much more.
    Now, my next project will be "hunting another animal" like beekbuster supposed. I will try to get me a Nox 800 as soon as my budget allows and start hunting coins and relics as a lot of guys been roaming my area hundreds of years ago.
    I wish you and your families a very happy and peaceful christmas. The days before christmas are the days most miracles happen.

God bless

Horst
    You really do live in a ripe area for historical-artifact and coin hunting, so here's good luck to you, and all the best as any time you invest in coin-shooting or relic hunting will only help tune your overall metal-detecting senses, regardless of the type of metal you chase as it's all knowledge in the bank,

Lanny
    beekbuster, delnorter and Horst like this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

de
    Apr 2017
    Germany
    282 times
    Prospecting
    Happy New Year to all of you wishing you lots of health and Gold in 2019. I made myself a christmas present and traded in my Whites GMT (with some money on top) for a new Equinox 800. What a machine to learn! I have been out for about 3 hours and found my first coin. 2 Pfennig Deutsches Reich 1875. The condition is no good at all but after some cleaning I am able to read it now. I'm happy with my start and hope to go out again soon. The topic of my thread here....the hotrocks I had to deal with in Canada show up in the iron range so the detector doesn't see them or if in all metal mode the difference between the HR and other targets is very obvious.

us
    Mar 2014
    Central Arizona
    Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
    412 times
    Prospecting
    I'll offer another tidbit nobody else mentioned concerning the SDC. This unit is a ground tracking detector. When on variable ground you must slow down your swing speed. If it is heavily infused with iron you will also have to hunt in sensitivity of 2 or even lower. If the iron rocks you are detecting are small, like pea sized, all you can do is detect them and remove with a super magnet on your pick. If the rocks are larger like tennis balls, the signal will be elongated and obvious with more experience. Gold and lead are usually short zips and clean signals. Iron is a raspier signal. Hope this helps. Dennis

de
    Apr 2017
    Germany
    282 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPDLN View Post
    I'll offer another tidbit nobody else mentioned concerning the SDC. This unit is a ground tracking detector. When on variable ground you must slow down your swing speed. If it is heavily infused with iron you will also have to hunt in sensitivity of 2 or even lower. If the iron rocks you are detecting are small, like pea sized, all you can do is detect them and remove with a super magnet on your pick. If the rocks are larger like tennis balls, the signal will be elongated and obvious with more experience. Gold and lead are usually short zips and clean signals. Iron is a raspier signal. Hope this helps. Dennis
    Hi Dennis, many thanks for your advice. The HR are the size of a chicken egg. I brought 3 HR home and will try what you suggested. I guess it will be no problem to use the Nox800 there. Maybe it will not find the same size of gold at a certain depth as the SDC but at least it is trouble free. I know I have to work on my hearing. I did not know that even a PI will give different sounds but I had to learn this from the feedbacks I received.
    Last edited by Horst; Jan 14, 2019 at 02:08 AM.

ca
    Jul 2014
    Port Perry, Ontario
    Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
    1086 times
    Metal Detecting
    Gerry from Gerry's detectors recommended the Equinox 800 to me as a machine that would give me the best of both worlds. Means coin and relic hunting and small Gold also. As I'm searching in the water the machine is waterproof up to 10 feet. I would love to hear your opinions and probably experiences with this machine. From the first look it seems to be rather complicated but with a good reliable target ID and exact descrimination I could probably get around the hot rocks much better?
    My two cents. I bought "my wife" a NOX800. I just got back from Aruba where I used it on the beach and in the water for a few weeks. It works well on jewelry and coins. It avoided all iron, except beer bottle caps and the odd bolt. That said, even though it has a prospecting mode, I would probably leave it at home for prospecting gold, unless I was looking to dive with it (less than 10').
    Horst likes this.
    See my YouTube channel for amateur and fun videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz...OeZbRt0F9XqVJA

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    etrac, GM 1000
    677 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by placergold View Post
    That said, even though it has a prospecting mode, I would probably leave it at home for prospecting gold.
    I do not own one but on the 2 gold detecting forums I hang on the 800 is getting EXCELLANT praise as a nugget hunter and seems to be the first real "best of both worlds" detector for coins and small gold......

us
    Feb 2014
    Vacaville CA
    SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
    387 times
    Prospecting
    Going to give my two cents and reiterate most of what has already been said here although I think Lanny and Goldwasher have nailed it. Also, the tips IMPDLN gave you are spot on.

I have A LOT of hours in on the SDC, and it would be the last of my detectors to go. If I could give myself one tip ten years ago when I started detecting for gold, it would be pick one detector suitable to the area and stick with it. Detecting for gold isn't something that you become successful at overnight. Getting to know your tools nuances is part of being a successful detectorist. I have gone over ground with the SDC and missed gold due to what I think is "feathering" by the ground tracking circuit when in proximity to large amounts, and or, variable hot rocks. If you're in extremely hot ground don't feel like you're going to miss gold by dialing back the sensitivity setting and slowing the swing speed with that coil to the soil - it seems like most of the fellow SDC users I have encountered subscribe to the, "its set at 5 or it's not on," creed. Some of my smallest gold has been found in 2, or even in the salt range.
    Hamfist, Horst and Jim Hemmingway like this.

de
    Apr 2017
    Germany
    282 times
    Prospecting
    right now I am concentrating on my new Nox 800 as in the area I live in (central Germany) there is no detectable gold except in the jewellery stores. So I started hunting a different type of game - coins and artefacts. I am having fun learning the machine and already found some real great stuff (my buddies golden wedding ring, 1875 bronze + 1827 silver coin). I think in the near future when I become more confident with the Nox I will take both machines out. Once I find a signal with the Nox I will make a suggestion what it might be and then run the SDC over the target before I dig it. As I found a lot of stuff in Arizona BBs, Bullets, small pieces of wire, leadshavings etc. I must have been doing something right as I found REAL small stuff with the SDC. I have been digging all signals in the Goldfields. Even though it was screaming at me and I was pretty sure it will be iron. As we were two hunters andf both did not find a piece of Gold maybe the LDMA claims were cleaned out very well. In September 2019 I'll be going back to CA. Hopefully I can find a piece of Gold with the MD over there. I will hunt bedrock on the north Yuba and do some panning. Being out there with friends is the most important part of it. Can't wait for Joe's coffee with the little "extra" in it in the morning ****+

de
    Apr 2017
    Germany
    282 times
    Prospecting
    I found a 1 Pfennig Deutsches Reich 1874 coin today. I just dug 2 targets today. ! ammo casing and that coin. I guess I get there to figure out which target to dig and which one to ignore. The book written by Clive James Clynick helps a lot!
    Lanny in AB likes this.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    5180 times
    Prospecting
    I found a 1 Pfennig Deutsches Reich 1874 coin today. I just dug 2 targets today. ! ammo casing and that coin. I guess I get there to figure out which target to dig and which one to ignore. The book written by Clive James Clynick helps a lot!
    Hey! All the practice you're getting will only help as any practice digging targets will sharpen your senses for when you get another crack at the gold.

All the best,

Lanny
    Horst and beekbuster like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links