which detector can handle hot rocks/cold stones better than SDC2300 - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: which detector can handle hot rocks/cold stones better than SDC2300

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2014
    Central Arizona
    Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
    430 times
    Prospecting
    Another point I would like to make on this post. Others here have also mentioned this, but I'm not sure you understood correctly. If the SDC is going off on the hot iron rich rocks, the VLF will also, and much worse. Just because a VLF has discrimination doesn't mean it will ignore high iron rocks or even discriminate them out. High iron or heavily mineralized areas will likely in most areas cause a VLF to overload and won't be useable. Anytime a PI machine is struggling with the mineralization, any VLF will certainly struggle even more. Sometimes all you can do is just dumb down the detector, even with a PI.

I know an area where no current metal detector technology will function correctly. So much iron that any current technology will overload no matter what adjustments a person might try. Hot rocks the size of a chicken egg are no problem. Identify them, kick them out of the way and keep going. Little pea sized hot rocks are more frustrating as you have to dig them all up. So turn down sensitivity, slow down your swing speed, and get to know your machine. Happy hunting, Dennis.

de
    Apr 2017
    Germany
    Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
    948 times
    Prospecting
    Hi Dennis,

many thanks for all your good advice. When I go back to Kelowna I will see what those hot rocks will do. The once I took home are all reading in -3/-4. In Mission creek there were lots of them. I have the feeling that I won't have too much trouble with my Nox800. We'll see. Right now I concentrate on checking targets make a suggestion and if I'm not 99% sure it is a piece of trash I'll dig it. When I dig it usually turns out to be a piece of lead or aluminum or foil that has been scwashed to little ball. I'm using a 10khz check program and it works nice. Coins are always standing out real nice. The book written by Clive James Clynick hepls me a lot. I'm having fun and my hunting buddy who's golden wedding ring I returned to yesterday told me about another spot on his hunting lease where a kind of ancient military installation has been located. He's been talking about a castle or similar thing that has been taken down to it's foundation. I will go there soon and let you know.
    Best of luck to you and yours
    Horst

Sep 2004
    80 times
    The Gold Bug 2 has a very distinctive "Boing" sound on hot rocks and zip zip sound on gold. But doesn't have much depth on small gold.
    GPX4500 Coiltek Elite 14" round mono, 14X9 NF Evo, Commander 11" dd, MXT Pro 8x6 SEF, Detech 6"DD Excellerator, Detech 4.5"DD Excellerator, SP01 Enhancer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links