manzanitas revenge

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i didnt get one in the foot today, but my muck boots have been thoroughly perforated. those manzanita snags are wicked sharp. managed to find some yellow as well. 1202181621.jpg 4.5 grams total

Upvote 0

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold beer buster.

I know what you mean about how tough that manzanita can be. On the survey crews I worked with we’d joke to whoever was doing things that would land them in the wrong place when they died. We would say they were going to wind up running survey lines in endless lands of dead mazinita with a dull machete as punishment.

Mike

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
im talking about the burned stubs. they are like tridents poking up every where. had a few come through the side walls of my boot. sharp as spears. and the ground is riddled with them. trade offs with everything. i dont have to crawl around, but the risk for injury is much greater

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Outstanding day beekbuster, congrats sir. Be safe out there.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, and watch those eyes...also nothing worse than poison oak whips...like tentacles of an Octopus.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i didnt get one in the foot today, but my muck boots have been thoroughly perforated. those manzanita snags are wicked sharp. managed to find some yellow as well. View attachment 1657045 4.5 grams total

Nicely done, great job, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, and watch those eyes...also nothing worse than poison oak whips...like tentacles of an Octopus.

yes, many times ive gotten the oak pretty bad, and thought i did a great job of staying out of it? no doubt it was the lacy vine of oak misery.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, many times ive gotten the oak pretty bad, and thought i did a great job of staying out of it? no doubt it was the lacy vine of oak misery.
its the worst once it rains... leaves down ..harder to see. roots just soaking in the ground.. dig it and get it.

I have a bottle of dawn in the shower. I do a full scrub as soon as I get home even if I think I didn't see any Poison Oak

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
its the worst once it rains... leaves down ..harder to see. roots just soaking in the ground.. dig it and get it.

I have a bottle of dawn in the shower. I do a full scrub as soon as I get home even if I think I didn't see any Poison Oak

the times i know ive been wallowing in it real bad i do the dawn scrub down. wash 2-3 times with dawn, one with tecnu, and not a single bump. i dont react real bad, even when its all over, but still miserable for a couple days

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn poison oak got on my face and worked its way into my eye leaving me with scar tissue and blurry vision in one eye. I usually only get a mild reaction to the oak, if any, but this one time I had a sinus flu and was taking sinus congestion pills which I believe triggered a sever allergic reaction to flare up around my eye, where I had brushed up on some dormant winter branches. Never had that kind of reaction to p oak before or after.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn poison oak got on my face and worked its way into my eye leaving me with scar tissue and blurry vision in one eye. I usually only get a mild reaction to the oak, if any, but this one time I had a sinus flu and was taking sinus congestion pills which I believe triggered a sever allergic reaction to flare up around my eye, where I had brushed up on some dormant winter branches. Never had that kind of reaction to p oak before or after.

Seems like it comes and goes for me.

There are times when I expect i'm gonna end up with it. Long day sweaty. Don't get to wash until later.. get a couple little bumps:dontknow:

The times I've gotten it the worst were digging in Creekside roots or wet ones up on the hill detecting.

Even with a good wash when I got home I had redness and a little itch by that night. Hell the next week.

My daughter got it so bad once her whole head puffed up. She had to get a shot. She was better the next day.

I was thinking I need to get some of those syringes pre- filled. For my self lol.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice gold beer buster.

I know what you mean about how tough that manzanita can be. On the survey crews I worked with we’d joke to whoever was doing things that would land them in the wrong place when they died. We would say they were going to wind up running survey lines in endless lands of dead mazinita with a dull machete as punishment.

Mike

i have crawled across 600 yards of grease brush to get to where i needed to be. the only way to go through grease brush is over it. but when youre done your shoes are waterproof for a while. i cant count how many times i cursed myself for going off trail, wrapped up in an endless sea of brush.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like it comes and goes for me.

There are times when I expect i'm gonna end up with it. Long day sweaty. Don't get to wash until later.. get a couple little bumps:dontknow:

The times I've gotten it the worst were digging in Creekside roots or wet ones up on the hill detecting.

Even with a good wash when I got home I had redness and a little itch by that night. Hell the next week.

My daughter got it so bad once her whole head puffed up. She had to get a shot. She was better the next day.

I was thinking I need to get some of those syringes pre- filled. For my self lol.

my son went on a detecting adventure with me. the terrain was very open, but he managed to do some serious rubbing on some oak stalks. he looks like barbarosa right now. maybe next time he will pay attention better when i show him what to watch out for. i feel his pain. he got (and named) a water skeeter, a cricket, and a stone fly. i managed 3 bits

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread