Dahlonega, Georgia Nugget Shooting

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello my friends. I live in Dahlonega. I have heard stories that the gold rush started here by a hunter finding gold nuggets in the root of a tree. Has anyone ever done nugget shooting in the Dahlonega area? Ever find anything? I have a CTX 3030 and just ordered an Equinox 800. Not optimal gold machines but I will upgrade to a true gold machine if I can be convinced that I have a fighting chance of finding nuggets in the ground.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi,
Reaper

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to Dahlonega numerous times. The secret is getting permission to go on their land. Yes, there is a chance for sure, but getting a place to detect near where the gold is will be key. The best places are have mines/mining rights and they won't let you in. I have gone to a few of the less commercial digs there and come away with some nice pickers and nuggets, but where the gold mines are, somebody already owns them. Your best bet would be to hire a guide.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox 800 with 6" coil is a killer on small gold nuggets and pickers (CTX3030 is worthless for nuggetshooting). You are right in the Georgia gold belt, so find a club and join!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There are several Weekender Gold Prospecting Clubs in Northern Georgia and some have access to Gold Claims in the Dahlonega area. Check out to see which ones are the best and that have access to several or more Claims in your area and join them if possible. Some have limited membership but there is usually always a waiting list.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Terry said, a 6" coil on the 800 and a *Club!

Here on Tnet say about June 21 Terry posted "Wait till the 6" coil is available" on Jim Southern out with the 800 w/large coil and he was locating small gold with the machine.......63bkpkr

*PS, I think Terry meant Join a club

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The museum which was once the court house is made of bricks from local materials. I have heard the bricks contain gold since they used local clay. See if you can locate some old bricks and scan them? Let us know if you get any readings.

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of the gold in Delonega is gonna be flour. Better method is to use an old analog detector that you can detune to find black sand deposits and pan those. Closest place to you where lots of nuggets were found is White Path Creek and Cherry Log creek on hwy 5 just above Elijay. Lots came out of the rotton mica schist off the base of Rich Mountain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread