Is it worth metal detecting in tailing piles in Snelling CA?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an open public area in Snelling called Henderson Park which has lots of huge tailings from the old dredges that used to work the area. Are there any chances of finding gold there with a metal detector? Could panning the tailings also yield gold? I've already found gold in the Merced River but it's just smaller flakes further up north in Briceburg.

Myzk7sF.jpg

Upvote 0

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Tailing piles from processing placer gold is always worth a shot. They were getting gold so I am sure they missed some.

The key is to find out from the history books if it was nugget gold or fine gold. Then you will know if pan or detector is a better choice.

Good luck and be prepared for lots of trash, a vlf is usually preferred for trashy areas.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check with park authorities about metal detecting or other digging activities. This park regulation (particularly about natural features) may and probably does prohibit what you propose. "Vegetation and natural features - All plants, animals, and natural features are protected and may not be damaged, injured, or removed."

Last edited:
A

Audozer

I know the piles you’re talking about and they have been beaten up by detectorists for years but there is always that one rock that they missed, you just don’t know until you put your time in

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snelling? Been through there many times. Would LOVE to see someone pull a missed nugget out of the MOUNTAINS of tailings there. Go get one! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread