I bought a Gold Monster Yesterday.I've been trying

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been trying since Tuesday to get one from Miner's Depot in Quartzsite. Finally got one yesterday before they were sold out. I then went to the club claims where I found the .22 gram picker last year. EVERYBODY there were using the Monster. The club did a "push" and a dozen guys and gals were detecting, using the Monsters. One fellow showed me a vial with 64 tiny and small nuggies he got out of the push since it was dug a week ago. PeteyGirl and I detected for about three hours and only found trash and birdshot. I met Charlie, a previous president of the club (QMDC). He and a friend showed me a pic of a 9 ounce nugget found by "Wendy" recently, 25 miles from our location. A specific gravity was done and the rock has 6 ounces of gold in it. WE'RE DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE!" Oh, well, I'm sure I will find my gold with the Monster. More time on it is needed. I also have my GB2 yet so I can pull out my test gold and compare the two machines. Perused a few Bill Southern videos on You Tube for good measure. PG and I will hunt here 'til the 28th then try the detectors up at Stanton for three weeks. Look for us at the number 18 pull-through for three weeks starting March 1st. We'll be working Weaver, Roadrunner, and LDMA/GPAA claims.... 'til my back gives out. See you there! TTC

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some folks who are quite impressed with that new model also. Learning curve on all machines is a bit tough but worth the time-lots of luck-John

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have already noticed ONE thing I don't like about the monster. All the workings are above the stem making it top heavy (still... as light as the GB2) causing it to swing down when holding the stem. But, I can live with that, TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know some folks who are quite impressed with that new model also. Learning curve on all machines is a bit tough but worth the time-lots of luck-John

Hello, Hoser! Haven't heard from you in a little while. How's it going? TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry,

Great to see that you're out chasing the gold with a new machine. Hope you get some gold with it soon.

All the best,

Lanny

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on your purchase Terry, it is one I'm probably going to make in the very near future. The Bill Southern videos are nice too, they're in depth and he really gets into what you need to be listening for. Good luck sir, I hope you find a big one!

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
super easy machine to learn and swing.... you'll love your Monster!!!!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been busy Terry with fires, health and now mess from snow storms destroying home/trees/roads etc...no time for play anymore-John

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
when it rains it pours. pretty ironic to have the worst fire on record and a 20yr snow storm within 3 months of eachother. gods grace would be a welcome right about now

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been busy Terry with fires, health and now mess from snow storms destroying home/trees/roads etc...no time for play anymore-John
Sorry to hear that, John. Keep the faith! TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John, I thought maybe you'd get a break from all of the nastiness, but it sounds like you're still in the thick of things. I sincerely hope things get better soon.

All the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main thing with the Gold Monster, is to re-ground balance every few yards in really bad soil. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main thing with the Gold Monster, is to re-ground balance every few yards in really bad soil. :icon_thumleft:
PeteyGirl uses the Monster. Eventually, so will I. I like (she likes) the auto balance (auto 1 and auto 2, as Bill S calls them) feature, making it easy to use for newbies. Also has manual (pump) ground balance. SUPER sensitive, like the GB2! Finding the SMALLEST of metal trash, just have to put it atop more gold! TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're where gold has been found before, sooner or later you'll get your coil over the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're where gold has been found before, sooner or later you'll get your coil over the gold.

All the best,

Lanny
PeteyGirl keeps lamenting that all she is finding is teensie trash. I remind her that she is obviously doing it right and only needs to put the coil over gold to be successful! ╦╦Ç

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PeteyGirl keeps lamenting that all she is finding is teensie trash. I remind her that she is obviously doing it right and only needs to put the coil over gold to be successful! ╦╦Ç

You sir are right. As she is finding the tiny trash, she has proven she's learning the detector. I remember I dug buckets (no exaggeration) of trash before I found my first nugget with a detector. Furthermore, by the time I finally found my first nugget, I knew every nuance of the sounds made by the machine (no display meters on machines back then), so that by the time I hit the gold, I at least knew the sound was the right sound. However, when the nugget popped out of the dirt, I was still blown away and I'll never forget that moment, ever.

So, PeteyGirl will get that coil over the gold one day as she's learning exactly what she needs to learn, but it's oftentimes a lonely lesson learning process that gets discouraging, but the lessons learned along the way are invaluable, and they are worth it. (The secret to success is to keep at it until the first gold is hit, and for whatever reason, finding that first piece of gold after such a long, drawn-out process really seems to open the floodgates.)

You are lucky to have such a dedicated female partner (I do too), as it seems the exception rather than the norm, but it really enriches the gold hunting experience.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sir are right. As she is finding the tiny trash, she has proven she's learning the detector. I remember I dug buckets (no exaggeration) of trash before I found my first nugget with a detector. Furthermore, by the time I finally found my first nugget, I knew every nuance of the sounds made by the machine (no display meters on machines back then), so that by the time I hit the gold, I at least knew the sound was the right sound. However, when the nugget popped out of the dirt, I was still blown away and I'll never forget that moment, ever.

So, PeteyGirl will get that coil over the gold one day as she's learning exactly what she needs to learn, but it's oftentimes a lonely lesson learning process that gets discouraging, but the lessons learned along the way are invaluable, and they are worth it. (The secret to success is to keep at it until the first gold is hit, and for whatever reason, finding that first piece of gold after such a long, drawn-out process really seems to open the floodgates.)

You are lucky to have such a dedicated female partner (I do too), as it seems the exception rather than the norm, but it really enriches the gold hunting experience.

All the best,

Lanny
Partner? PARTNER you say? Ha! She can't get out of the car and onto the hillside fast enough! And away she goes. She is bound and determined to find that nuggie ON HER OWN! Yes, nice partner.... just have to remind her this is a TEAM effort and all gold found with my machine is ..... hers. The hardest part of the hunt is keeping up with her. TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Partner? PARTNER you say? Ha! She can't get out of the car and onto the hillside fast enough! And away she goes. She is bound and determined to find that nuggie ON HER OWN! Yes, nice partner.... just have to remind her this is a TEAM effort and all gold found with my machine is ..... hers. The hardest part of the hunt is keeping up with her. TTC

Well, good to know she's got the drive to get the job done, and that she feels the need to get that gold and keep it!

I had a good laugh, nice write-up.

All the best,

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have enjoyed this thread. It feels good to read everybody is rooting for you and PeteyGirl. Good luck and show pics of the gold. ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions