White's Goldmaster 24K vs. Minelab Gold Monster 1000?

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have either machine but am looking to get a new VLF for nugget shooting and have researched both extensively. I've not seen anything about the two being compared in the field that I trusted enough to make me want one over the other but what I have found out is that while both do the same job they are very different machines. The Gold Monster is a ground balance and go machine, there are only a couple of settings for the user to choose from, the 24k can be used either as a ground balance and go machine or there a many more settings the user can customize to his liking. I especially like that the 24k has an adjustable threshold, when I'm working next to a noisy river or creek that is something I need with my hearing. I really don't think you can go wrong with either machine, the GM is a proven gold finder and the 24k is the latest technology with a new ground balance system that from what I've read is really good.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES! They were tested side by side at Bill Southern's Nuggetshooter Palooza at Jackass Flats a few months ago. The "new" Whites is simply a repackaged GMT. Very capable, but nothing new. The Goldmonster kick its butt on depth, and sensitivity to small nuggletts. The microprocessor in the 1000 is NEW and changes the game. Apples and Oranges.:skullflag:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read a couple of comparisions and they seemed very close? At least with the Monster it definitely has some history and a LOT of users, time, and GOLD under it's belt? I'm new to nugget shooting relatively and I absolutely love my Monster and it's an absolute pleasure to swing, a very easy machine to learn and bangs on the tiniest gold. You won't have any problems along the river if you use headphones. I run mine up in the hills mostly using the speaker only and it can go very loud if you turn up the volume and it doesn't seem to run down the battery. It's also nice (imo) to be able to hunt without headphones and cords getting hung up, etc. Battery life is also very good. The machine is very fast. Here's my smallest piece found with the Monster with the circle around it....other pic is first/last seasons totals, all with the Monster....

Inkedsat. & sun. - Copy_LI.jpg

104.JPG

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And that is why I said "I've not seen anything about the two being compared in the field that I trusted". The Jackass Flats test was flawed to say the least, the guy with the 24k was new to the machine and not from the area, and going up against guys with years of experience using the GM1000 on their home ground. I'm sorry but to me that's more of a setup than a comparison. And if the 24k is a "repackaged GMT" why then does it have new features like a new ground balancing system and more power to the coil. That is not a repackaging, they added new features on an already good gold detector.

Bottom line is both detectors are very capable and made by reputable companies with a history of making great VLF gold machines. If you want a pick up and go machine I would choose the GM1000. If you want a machine that once learned, could give you better results due to being able to customize to the soil you're working, the 24k deserves a look. I honestly don't believe you can go wrong with either detector though.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maybe this will help ya some????

(Link deleted for rule violation, no links to competing forums)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't own either machine, but the above link is worth a read, and all of the information posted here so far is indeed interesting.

I'm not sure this has been covered yet, but from the people I know that run the Monster, the learning curve seems to be substantially less than that of the 24K.

Jeff, the only reason I bring this up, is I have no idea what your level of experience is with detectors. Are you a seasoned nugget shooter, or are you just beginning? The reason I ask is many people new to the pursuit of gold nuggets with a detector get discouraged by the learning curve, by the amount of time needed in the field, by the foreign nature of hunting nuggets vs. hunting coins and artifacts (if that's what you've been doing). So, as Hoser John says, many detectors wind up in closets, hardly ever seeing the light of day.

If you are an experienced nugget shooter, then I'll leave it to those that know either machine well, but if you're just beginning, I understand that the Monster is simple to use, so that equates to getting out of the gate much faster if you're new to nugget hunting, and the Monster is now a proven platform as well, having been out longer. (Not that the 24K might not be better at some things or maybe even better at many things, but for a quick startup to get finding gold, the Monster is a better choice from everything I've been told by those that use them.)

All the best,

Lanny

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe this will help ya some????

(Link deleted for rule violation, no links to competing forums)

Sorry, link deleted, it violates our rules, you can use PMs.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have looked at both machines, out of interest and not because I am buying one anytime soon. I really don't need another detector. From what I have learned, I would probably get the Monster. I like the idea of less features and ease of use, on what seems to be a very capable machine. I don't tend to use the extra/custom features on my other detectors. Nothing wrong with the other detector either. I am sure if you put your coil over most detectable nuggets, that either one will work.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And that is why I said "I've not seen anything about the two being compared in the field that I trusted". The Jackass Flats test was flawed to say the least, the guy with the 24k was new to the machine and not from the area, and going up against guys with years of experience using the GM1000 on their home ground. I'm sorry but to me that's more of a setup than a comparison. And if the 24k is a "repackaged GMT" why then does it have new features like a new ground balancing system and more power to the coil. That is not a repackaging, they added new features on an already good gold detector.
L
Bottom line is both detectors are very capable and made by reputable companies with a history of making great VLF gold machines. If you want a pick up and go machine I would choose the GM1000. If you want a machine that once learned, could give you better results due to being able to customize to the soil you're working, the 24k deserves a look. I honestly don't believe you can go wrong with either detector though.
Allen, Terry S is a well known, experienced detectorist. I also call him a close friend. That being said, it is refreshing to see someone, yourself, that has taken the time to do some research. Too many here take the word of us older salts as gospel. I will pay more attention to your posts. I am giving you the highest compliment! ( But, please be gentle on him ( tsk tsk). TTC

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Allen, Terry S is a well known, experienced detectorist. I also call him a close friend. That being said, it is refreshing to see someone, yourself, that has taken the time to do some research. Too many here take the word of us older salts as gospel. I will pay more attention to your posts. I am giving you the highest compliment! ( But, please be gentle on him ( tsk tsk). TTC

I completely understand and wish to apologize to Mr. Soloman, reading my post back to myself today I can see it does look harsh to me also. I should have taken more care the day I wrote it so please accept my apology sir. Thank you Terry C for pointing this out to me also, I don't ever want to known as an unreasonable person.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I completely understand and wish to apologize to Mr. Soloman, reading my post back to myself today I can see it does look harsh to me also. I should have taken more care the day I wrote it so please accept my apology sir. Thank you Terry C for pointing this out to me also, I don't ever want to known as an unreasonable person.

Allen, I saw nothing wrong with your response to Terry. Straight talk, but not unreasonable. Terry is somewhat biased against White's and rarely has anything good to say about their products. That said, I consider Terry a friend, and value his contributions, though I take his opinions of Whte's products with a grain of salt. (or maybe two)...LOL
Jim

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Allen, I saw nothing wrong with your response to Terry. Straight talk, but not unreasonable. Terry is somewhat biased against White's and rarely has anything good to say about their products. That said, I consider Terry a friend, and value his contributions, though I take his opinions of Whte's products with a grain of salt. (or maybe two)...LOL
Jim
We all have our biases, yet, we all have something to contribute. If we all thought alike, we would all be robots and then this site would not be. Good solid debate is NEEDED because that is how we move forward. Tnx. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey, I am super cool with all of this! My opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. Allen was not with us when I went out with Debbie (from Minelab), to a couple of old mines and a cabin site up the San Domingo wash. The Whites machine is a good machine, and in the right hands will find a lot of gold. Now, the "new ground balancing system," to me, is just lipstick on the old ground balancing system - no perceptual differences or advantages in actual use. The microprocessor in the Goldmonster however, is able to really track in bad ground, and even cues the Greenhorn user to re-ground with a couple of pumps when the mineralization dramatically changes. The "more power to the coil" claim is true, but is a bit of a red herring, because in field tests next to the GMT, and the Goldmonster, it showed no advantage whatsoever.

Anyone that follows my posts knows I dislike Whites. I think they are overpriced, over hyped, and I really don't like their dealer tactics. Whites machines can find anything all the other machines can find, but I'll never buy one again. Well, that is my confession, but I would rather have the Goldmonster 1000 as my VLF nuggetshooter simply because it is a better machine.
:skullflag:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I am super cool with all of this! My opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. Allen was not with us when I went out with Debbie (from Minelab), to a couple of old mines and a cabin site up the San Domingo wash. The Whites machine is a good machine, and in the right hands will find a lot of gold. Now, the "new ground balancing system," to me, is just lipstick on the old ground balancing system - no perceptual differences or advantages in actual use. The microprocessor in the Goldmonster however, is able to really track in bad ground, and even cues the Greenhorn user to re-ground with a couple of pumps when the mineralization dramatically changes. The "more power to the coil" claim is true, but is a bit of a red herring, because in field tests next to the GMT, and the Goldmonster, it showed no advantage whatsoever.

Anyone that follows my posts knows I dislike Whites. I think they are overpriced, over hyped, and I really don't like their dealer tactics. Whites machines can find anything all the other machines can find, but I'll never buy one again. Well, that is my confession, but I would rather have the Goldmonster 1000 as my VLF nuggetshooter simply because it is a better machine.
:skullflag:
And Terry S must also admit that I'm better looking! TTC

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh well fellows, I'm not in the market for a new gold detector at the present time either. But I do enjoy reading different opinions on the latest market offerings. I see nothing disrespectful or even disagreeable about any of these posts.

I also have a lot of respect and genuine liking for the guys on this forum. Terry Soloman is an experienced, highly successful nugget hunter. He is, and has always been forthright about expressing his views. I admire his willingness to step up to the plate and say what he thinks. We all realize that as a group we are not always going to be fully in agreement with everything that is said here. And that's fine, different strokes for different folks!!! 8-)

Jim.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh well fellows, I'm not in the market for a new gold detector at the present time either. But I do enjoy reading different opinions on the latest market offerings. I see nothing disrespectful or even disagreeable about any of these posts.

I also have a lot of respect and genuine liking for the guys on this forum. Terry Soloman is an experienced, highly successful nugget hunter. He is, and has always been forthright about expressing his views. I admire his willingness to step up to the plate and say what he thinks. We all realize that as a group we are not always going to be fully in agreement with everything that is said here. And that's fine, different strokes for different folks!!! 8-)

Jim.

Yup, Jim, if we didn't disagree, there'd only be one detector made and sold!...LOL
Jim

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This net is world-wide. No one can expect all will have the same likes. The detectors available are as varied as the uses for them. That is how it should be. The competition is keen. And that is also how it should be. TTC

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How in heck are we going to have a fight if all you guys are going to be so reasonable?.....LOL
Jim

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
I have a friend up in Nevada that is a long time pro using the GB2, he bought a GM1000 when they came out, he says its great. Does the job well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread