Recommendation for budget gold hunting metal detector?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got my relatives convinced that there's gold around here and they want to join me as well. But they're not really willing to spend too much money on a more expensive metal detector(currently have a Fisher Gold Bug 2), do you have any recommendations for a cheaper metal detector that wouldn't cost too much for them while also having the ability to find nuggets too?

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a used detector, check your local pawn shops.As far as a good one everyone will have their own opinions and wont offer the best value for someone on a budget they will give you high priced detectors most of the time.Also on here is a forum that has members selling some equipment it is down towards the bottom. Be careful of rattlesnakes they are plentiful at this time of year.Look on Facebook marketplace also you might find one there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Gold
Teknetics G2
Tesoro Lobo Super Trac
Whites GMT
Fisher Gold Bug II / Pro

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that a used Fisher Gold Bug I is a cheap decent detector for finding small gold.
Couple friends have bought nearly new GB2's for $350.

Common misconception that you will be finding nuggets left and right with a "gold detector".
As a result many people have low hour detectors sitting in the closets.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bug1, any of the Tesoro micro maxes with a small coil, the unit should be a 19khz with manual GB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread