All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would end up with a TDI since you could use coiltek coils. I tried one and liked it.

Knew I needed a PI.

seen a few under 1k Looked at the GP extreme too but they are rare around here.

I think a lot of used PI go from one guy to the next in a circle of nugget hunters. Never needing to be put on craigslist.

Don't know your budget but, you can get a new GP4500 for 3k so there might be some really "affordable" used ones.

I've read that GP extremes had control issues?? Whatever that means.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At $500 it is a bargain! I found a lot of gold with that machine. On the flip side - It's OLD! No parts, no straight forward repairs, and yes, batteries can be a problem. Have you looked at the Gold Monster 1000? May want to keep that $500 in your pocket a while longer.:skullflag:

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money and get a used 4500 with warranty if possible.. Ive seen em very affordable on other forums or craigslist. The antiquated heavy lead battery on the old minelabs is no joy to carry around, or spending additional hundreds for an aftermarket one brings your total close to $1000. So you really are not saving much money on a detector that minelab doesnt even support anymore, should things go wrong, and believe me they do on minelabs. Fortunately they have awesome warranty service.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind the Extreme is no longer supported by Minelab, so if it breaks down Minelab has no parts for it. $500 is 62% of the cost of a New Minelab Gold Monster.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
check out the web sites of minelab dealers. they have a list of used mechandise that doesnt come up on google searches. you have to visit the site and go to the used detector selection. the one im thinking of is in idaho. i dont want to break the rules or id be more specific.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the flip side. Yes Minelab is a great brand. Yes it does have a reputation for finding good gold.
It's getting much better at small gold.

My gut says it's like any other detector. Requires experience and patience.

There probably are realistically more disappointed Newbee Minelab owners out there than say Gold Bug 2 owners out there simply because of the hype and the significance of the investment.

Crowds of people out there thinking if they just have the latest tech and spend enough money, they will find a 20'x20' patch of gold that holds 2 oz. of gold AND that the only detector capable of finding gold in that patch is a Minelab (or a PI)

Simply isn't true. 2 oz. patches are rare. What it takes is experience, free time, patience, and enthusiasm. It takes raking and digging. It takes pursuing that one nugget further.
Yes hot mineralized ground requires a PI. There is A LOT of good nugget shooting ground that isn't particularly hot.
My 2 cents with a couple PI's in the closet.

With that said...I'd absolutely love the latest and greatest ML detector. I WOULD find piles more gold.

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good unclaimed bleepin grounds are hard to come by these days.
Gt...
Heck good claimable land that produces is even harder to find !

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
On the flip side. Yes Minelab is a great brand. Yes it does have a reputation for finding good gold.
It's getting much better at small gold.

My gut says it's like any other detector. Requires experience and patience.

There probably are realistically more disappointed Newbee Minelab owners out there than say Gold Bug 2 owners out there simply because of the hype and the significance of the investment.

Crowds of people out there thinking if they just have the latest tech and spend enough money, they will find a 20'x20' patch of gold that holds 2 oz. of gold AND that the only detector capable of finding gold in that patch is a Minelab (or a PI)

Simply isn't true. 2 oz. patches are rare. What it takes is experience, free time, patience, and enthusiasm. It takes raking and digging. It takes pursuing that one nugget further.
Yes hot mineralized ground requires a PI. There is A LOT of good nugget shooting ground that isn't particularly hot.
My 2 cents with a couple PI's in the closet.

With that said...I'd absolutely love the latest and greatest ML detector. I WOULD find piles more gold.

you are correct. i got very lucky. i did round up a little. if i didnt live in gold country where all my detecting is within a half hour away, i would have never paid that kind of money. i knew i was hooked so i bought it. there was that feeling that it may never pay itself back, but that quickly dissolved as i used the machine. of course you have to get the coil over gold, and if you dont have patience detecting is not your sport. if you have the will, you go to gold bearing areas with shallow ground, and have patience, the sdc will find gold, and it wont take long. will you find a 2 ounce patch, probably not. but persistance is key

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread