Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We’ve got some great detectors but still think we miss the smaller stuff.

Minelab 7000GPZ and Garrett ATX Pro.

How slow do you guys sweep?

We know slow is good but don’t want to go too slow if you know what I mean.

Hundreds of hours on the machines and easy to find even the tiny trash. The smaller gold pickers I think we’re missing.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We’ve got some great detectors but still think we miss the smaller stuff.

Minelab 7000GPZ and Garrett ATX Pro.

How slow do you guys sweep?

We know slow is good but don’t want to go too slow if you know what I mean.

Hundreds of hours on the machines and easy to find even the tiny trash. The smaller gold pickers I think we’re missing.

Thanks.

It depends on where I am, and it depends on which purpose I'm using the detector for.

If I'm out trying to find a new patch, faster for sure to cover more ground, with the machine set up to really wake me up to a signal.

If I'm in an area that's already a patch, I slow way down and grid it north to south, then east to west, and then sometimes angle across it at a 45 if it's a truly hot spot, and that would require a very slow speed.

If I'm working hot bedrock that's littered with ironstone, I go very slow as I know I'll get a lot of readings that are off because the ironstone and the bedrock will be altering or masking the gold signals, so any signal has to be checked carefully. After I've got the bigger stuff, then I put on a smaller coil that's better for target separation, and it's slower again.

I should also mention, that many times when I'm in an area that's producing, the signals I get are not ones that jump right out, but they're only signals that just disturb the threshold.

For example, if the threshold sound is a soft and stable "eeeeeeeee" sound in a patch, and I hear "eeeee-eeeee" (notice the tiny break), I'll slow down, hit the spot again, then remove some soil and scan again. If the signal is any stronger, dig and repeat until it gets better or disappears. Can't even count the number of pieces of gold I've found that way, and most people never even slow down to investigate such a threshold break as they're waiting for a wake-up signal through the headphones before they'll slow down and reinvestigate.

If you're using ground tracking, it pays to slow down to let the processor do its thing as well, especially in variable ground.

Lots of trash? Small coil, and must slow down.

How slow is slow? There's a few YouTube videos showing some of the pros and how super-slow they go sometimes. Watch a few and you'll see how slow slow can be depending . . .

The type of machine and tech. you're using determines speed, the ground conditions determine slowness, as does the temperature of the bedrock, as do the type of accompanying rocks, etc., etc.

Big thing to remember. If you're in an area where you know others have found gold (so you know 100% gold has been found), and you're new to detecting, grid a small area carefully and go super-slow as you investigate every tiny threshold break until you've convinced yourself you haven't missed anything.

Oh, and depending on your coil (DD or Mono), be sure you're overlapping by the required amount for the specific coil type as you must use that wisdom in combination with coil sweep speed or you'll also miss targets no matter how slow you're going.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny that’s great info!

Well done.

Chuck

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i have found mono coils respond the best to the swing that is more like a dog sniffing the ground than a side to side swing. would a concentric coil give the operator the same advantage for a vlf machine?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i always till people to pay some small pieces of gold and test with them,its way cheaper than gas.
good luck brad

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to swing too fast and don't overlap, especially if there are others detecting nearby. If there is gold or silver, I want it all. LOL

It is better to slow down and take your time. I don't know how many times that I have have detected a spot and found no targets to dig, until I dig a good target. Then I check the immediate area by paying attention, overlapping my swing and slowing way down. Surprisingly (or not), I can usually find something in the area that I had just "covered". The other thing is to move stuff out of the way. Kicking away a large rock or branch can make a huge difference.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tend to swing too fast and don't overlap, especially if there are others detecting nearby. If there is gold or silver, I want it all. LOL

It is better to slow down and take your time. I don't know how many times that I have have detected a spot and found no targets to dig, until I dig a good target. Then I check the immediate area by paying attention, overlapping my swing and slowing way down. Surprisingly (or not), I can usually find something in the area that I had just "covered". The other thing is to move stuff out of the way. Kicking away a large rock or branch can make a huge difference.

Great advice about moving things as in the detecting game, every mm of depth counts, especially when it comes to whispers and tiny threshold breakers . . .

Also, learn how to turn your coil on its edge to get into crevices, same with using the nose of your coil as some coils are super sensitive on the nose and are great for sniffing out nuggets in crevices where you can't get a peep out of a nugget by swinging the coil over the crevice while running the coil flat to the ground.

All the best,

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting that you say that about the sides of the coil. Last weekend, I watched a newbie detect for silver. I noticed he had the coil at about 45 degrees to the ground during his swings. The obvious thing to do is bend it further forward, so the whole coil is parallel to the ground, as he was really only detecting at depth with the heel of the coil. I suggested he do this and his finds actually decreased, so he bent it up again after a short while. ;-)

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very slow, moving or raking rocks out of the way...Consider the type of gold found there before coarse, nuggetity or fine, that info is available in old USGS reports published by the old time Geologists that visited that area.. Time spent looking at old pubs or even buying some if they are are for sale is literally worth its weight in gold

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slower than molasses in January.

Top Member Reactions