What strong magnets do you use to pluck out iron trash?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Small but powerful neodymium disk magnets are available at hardware stores such as Ace....save the shipping costs.:icon_thumleft: Glue or tape one to the handle of a hand pick. I put a half or three quarter inch one (or stacked a couple) in a rubber cane end attached to a walking stick but you can also put in a capped film holder or whatever.

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a stack of 3 stuck to the blade of my pick. They move around a little bit but never fall off. I do need to keep an eye on them, especially if a target in the hole "disappears". Often it is a little piece of iron stuck the the magnets.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a stack of 3 stuck to the blade of my pick. They move around a little bit but never fall off. I do need to keep an eye on them, especially if a target in the hole "disappears". Often it is a little piece of iron stuck the the magnets.

They/at least mine are fragile so will shatter if you hit a rock with them.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They/at least mine are fragile so will shatter if you hit a rock with them.[/QUOTE

Mine are not on the tip of the pick. ;-) The magnets have been on the blade for over 5 years without any breaking. Small annoying iron (like shoe nails and staples) seems to magically jump out of the hole onto them. I never see it happen. Larger iron (spikes, metal plates, horse shoes, etc) are pulled by me by hand. FYI - I got the magnets from a local store called Lee Valley.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the computer business for many years. I always brought home dead hard drives and took the magnet out. They are odd shaped but are useful.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good quality brands of electric tooth brushes have them in the brush head, they are strong magnets though smaller.........63bkpkr

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You used to be able to get Super magnets I think they were called, I have one on my pick it is so strong when installing keep fingers clear or you'd get pinched lol. Another thing that is useful, small round strong magnets on your rake tines, great for cleaning a trashy yard etc..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread