Opinions on Gold Bug 2

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love detecting and for my normal everyday out and about I have my Makro Kruzer... but I'd like to go search out some gold up north and I'm not sure what a good system would be for me to use. Now I know my Kruzer can find gold but I don't think it's designed for it specifically and really if I want to go up north and find nails, pans and debris I'll just bring the Kruzer and I'll have heaps to take home with me.

So with the above blah, blah, blah I want to know what y'all think about the Fisher Gold Bug 2 as a intro/intermediate system for gold prospecting. I've looked around and seen others but most it seems are either way out of my price range or a good system that is wearing too many hats to truly specialize and do it's best for finding some treasure for fun and conversation. Any thoughts please... either tell me what you think of the Gold Bug 2 or perhaps you think there is a better machine that isn't going to run me more than a grand Canadian and is in the intro/intermediate level.

thanks for your thoughts.

Upvote 0

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't speak from personal experience, but i did research a bit myself prior and these stood out as best bang for buck, gold bug 2, whites gmt, minelab sovereign gold i think it was called? And the tesoro lobo super trac. Also the nokta au gold if you can find one used, all of these can be found used and usually cheaper than msrp, but some people won't let nothing go for cheap.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Bug 2 is a great machine.

Your still gonna find a bunch of nails ans trash. It's just how it is. When your hunting gold.

Last edited:

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Gold Bug II is a great machine, my son has one and loves it. As an into/intermediate machine I think if you do your homework it should work fine, it was my son's first detector and he's had good luck with his.

Other machines you might want to consider are Minelabs Gold Monster 1000 and White's 24k. Both get really good reviews and have proven to be good nugget shooters. I picked up a Gold Monster earlier this year and even though I've yet to put it over a piece of gold I've been very impressed on its performance handling bad ground.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I was thinking of asking a friend of mine that's also unable to go prospecting about buying his Gold Bug 2........ It's easily over 20 years old but it still works. What would be a fair offer for him and Myself ?? I don't want to low ball him OR shaft myself..

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s a GB2 and not an original Gold Bug, then anything from $250 - $500 depending on condition is likely.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used a Gold Bug II for about 10 years and have found several nuggets with it. My brother also uses a Bug with a lot of success. I recommend it highly but you will have to deal with hot rocks more than with a Pulse Induction detector.

Amarok530

Jun 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold Bug II is a great machine, my son has one and loves it. As an into/intermediate machine I think if you do your homework it should work fine, it was my son's first detector and he's had good luck with his.

Other machines you might want to consider are Minelabs Gold Monster 1000 and White's 24k. Both get really good reviews and have proven to be good nugget shooters. I picked up a Gold Monster earlier this year and even though I've yet to put it over a piece of gold I've been very impressed on its performance handling bad ground.
Like Dad said, I love it. Within minutes of my first use I was quickly finding shot and nails. It can be tricky in highly mineralized areas, but it is worth it and becomes easier with time and knowledge. I pulled a flake out of a crevice last year with my GB2 and am still amazed that it could hit on something so small.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I've read and heard that machine has proven itself well over time......

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Used a GB2 and found gold with it, bought a Gold Monster and found more gold with it. Sensitivity about the same, Monster WAY EASIER TO USE and has good discrimination. Both near the same price...........buy the Monster.

BTW; Whites 24k effective but not better
than the Monster nor as user friendly

Last edited:

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A very powerful liteweight metal detector put a magnet on your pick ir digging tool to remove the iron targets.l I've found hundreds of bits with mine.. 6" coil is a killer... I quit looking for the small pieces started putting the signals in a small bucket I carries along to sluice later. You will waste too much time looking. You have to stay on top of the GB... Geo

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nokta is a sister company of Makro, and the Nokta AU Gold Finder is a variation of the Makro Gold Racer that has been "tweaked" for nugget hunting. It does NOT have a digital readout/VDI, but does have a red/green LED for indicating ferrous/non-ferrous. It has knobs and switches rather that touch pads, similar to the GB2. One professional MD'er reviewed it as "...what a Gold Bug 3 would be, if Fisher made one...". It's priced about 10% lower than a GB; about the same as the GB Pro. I have researched the AU, but haven't used one.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP ORX Wireless and SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used a GB2 and found gold with it, bought a Gold Monster and found more gold with it. Sensitivity about the same, Monster WAY EASIER TO USE and has good discrimination. Both near the same price...........buy the Monster.

BTW; Whites 24k effective but not better
than the Monster nor as user friendly

Ditto!:headbang:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own the GB2 and the Monster. BOTH will get the job done in excellent fashion. If you're plug-n-play, do the Monster. If you're a Gizmo-Guy, the GB2. I tend to favor (slightly) the GB2 only because of my years of experience with it. ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread