Native copper / gold?

wolfcamp1

Mar 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561592086.399421.jpg

I believe I have found some native copper. Never seen this stuff before but there is part that appears to be gold as well. Is that pretty common? I used a test kit my wife got me a few Xmas’ ago and it shows up as 10k or less on the gold part, but definately met the criteria for being gold. It also has what looks like quartz crystals embedded. Anyone know who to go to to get it evaluated for mineral content and potential appraisal? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Had this posted on another forum and someone mentioned posting here may be a good idea, since it involves gold.

Upvote 0

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a stream in Ak called Chititu, which means copper in the native language, I worked with some guys years back mining gold on a creek that runs into Chititu... The natives made tools from the native copper pieces. I've seen fish hooks, various points etc. I had the good fortune to find a copper spear point in my own yard while testing my new Garrett Tr many years ago... These tools are hard to find and you kinda have to know where to look. I also have a rolled trade bead that is copper...

OP
OP
W

wolfcamp1

Mar 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool! Maybe I should try melting it down and making something useful. Wouldn’t even know how to get a fire hot enough. Don’t imagine just a plain old wood fire would do the trick

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is so cool! Maybe I should try melting it down and making something useful. Wouldn’t even know how to get a fire hot enough. Don’t imagine just a plain old wood fire would do the trick

The melting point of copper is close to 2,000 degrees F. Google search showed that most ancient copper tools and points were made by hammering them into shape since copper is malleable but/and they probably also heated the metal to a fairly high temperature since that makes it less brittle and easier to bend and shape.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No North American natives cast copper. Beating to form a piece from raw copper nuggets was the method used.

Although high temperatures are needed to melt copper, annealing the native copper to make it softer and more inclined to bend or flatten only requires a heat of 700 to 1200 degrees F. Generally around 800 degrees Fahrenheit is all you need to anneal copper, that's a dull red glow and easily obtainable with a wood fire.

As you form the copper with blows it hardens again rather quickly. Beating the copper after it work hardens leads to cracks and brittle metal and will ruin your piece. For that reason it's necessary to anneal the piece several times before you get to the final form. All that is very doable with a few rocks and a wood fire but it does require knowledge and experience to be successful.

Native coppersmiths were few and far between due to the lack of raw material and the experience needed to successfully complete a piece. For the most part it can be demonstrated that hand copper work before the arrival of Europeans was restricted to an area around the Great Lakes copper deposits where native copper is fairly common in a relatively pure form.

Copper is pretty easy to buy in a pure form today. You aren't going to risk much by buying some copper at the hardware store and practicing with a hammer and anvil. Anneal with a cheap propane torch and a bucket of water. Get a few dozen pieces under your belt and you might be ready to tackle making something from your copper nugget. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pan

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1727045

I believe I have found some native copper. Never seen this stuff before but there is part that appears to be gold as well. Is that pretty common? I used a test kit my wife got me a few Xmas’ ago and it shows up as 10k or less on the gold part, but definately met the criteria for being gold. It also has what looks like quartz crystals embedded. Anyone know who to go to to get it evaluated for mineral content and potential appraisal? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Had this posted on another forum and someone mentioned posting here may be a good idea, since it involves gold.

Probably melted alloy from a modern era fire.

It looks like a frog that had a bad trip

OP
OP
W

wolfcamp1

Mar 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No North American natives cast copper. Beating to form a piece from raw copper nuggets was the method used.

Although high temperatures are needed to melt copper, annealing the native copper to make it softer and more inclined to bend or flatten only requires a heat of 700 to 1200 degrees F. Generally around 800 degrees Fahrenheit is all you need to anneal copper, that's a dull red glow and easily obtainable with a wood fire.

As you form the copper with blows it hardens again rather quickly. Beating the copper after it work hardens leads to cracks and brittle metal and will ruin your piece. For that reason it's necessary to anneal the piece several times before you get to the final form. All that is very doable with a few rocks and a wood fire but it does require knowledge and experience to be successful.

Native coppersmiths were few and far between due to the lack of raw material and the experience needed to successfully complete a piece. For the most part it can be demonstrated that hand copper work before the arrival of Europeans was restricted to an area around the Great Lakes copper deposits where native copper is fairly common in a relatively pure form.

Copper is pretty easy to buy in a pure form today. You aren't going to risk much by buying some copper at the hardware store and practicing with a hammer and anvil. Anneal with a cheap propane torch and a bucket of water. Get a few dozen pieces under your belt and you might be ready to tackle making something from your copper nugget. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pan

Thanks for the helpful info. I’ve got some other copper I’ve found that’s not the native type so I’ll have to give that a shot.

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with Goldwasher, it looks like it's been heated already. I wouldn't try to melt it or beat it, it looks cool the way it is. highdesertranger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread