Fisher GB Pro or Garret AT Gold Detector???

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello,

I am getting a detector but am contemplating getting the Fisher GB Pro or the Garret AT gold detector.

I plan on spending the majority of my time prospecting areas around creeks with shallow bedrock. Just curious to see if anyone had any recommendations? Note: I am a beginner, this will be my first detector.

Any input will be much appreciated!!

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Go rent one and try it out for the day. Then, if you enjoyed yourself, rent the other model the next time out. If after two times out you're not tired of digging trash and want to continue, you'll have an idea of which machine you like better.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am getting a detector but am contemplating getting the Fisher GB Pro or the Garret AT gold detector.

I plan on spending the majority of my time prospecting areas around creeks with shallow bedrock. Just curious to see if anyone had any recommendations? Note: I am a beginner, this will be my first detector.

Any input will be much appreciated!!

i was not impressed with the At gold when I used one on my claim..

had a GB pro for a few years small round and the 6x9 coil.found gold with it.
Good ID for relics. It doesn't seem to get very deep on small gold in hot ground or mixed gravel.

I still traded it for a Gold Bug2 and sold it since I had one already. And had found more gold with it. Than the GB PRO. Smaller and deeper. But you have to go slow to keep it quiet.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the gold bug pro and love it. Simple to use, light as a feather and found to gold rings on the beach with it. When you find gold with the gold bug pro you will definitely know it. It screams. Good luck.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad has GB Pro and GB2.
They really have very little in common with each other.

The GB Pro collects dust in the corner.
GB2 is easier to use and more sensitive to small shallow gold.

Not saying the GB Pro isn't a good nugget machine. It's just the "new technology" wasn't a major breakthrough.

Last edited:

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would recommend the Minelab gold Monster 1000. Its one of the easiest to learn gold detectors for beginners and it will still detect tiny pieces of gold, almost as small as a gold bug 2. Just throwing another option out there.

Check out the youtube channel Nugget Shooter Journals, Bill Southern uses the gold monster alot on there and you can get a feel for what it can do.

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first detector was an AT Gold, I bought it and the Super Sniper coil. I thought I would be into coin and relics as much as gold but soon found out different. I think the AT Gold is a good detector but if you plan on looking for is placer gold there are much better choices in my opinion. The AT Gold sees gold, it just does not see small gold nearly as well as some other detectors. This year I upgraded to a Gold Monster 1000 and I honestly can't say enough about it. It is super easy to use and does a great job of finding really tiny pieces of gold.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd scratch the AT Gold as it doesn't do well on small gold. You being a newby I'd also recommend the Goldmonster….very easy to learn and it'll get the tiniest of specs. See pic below, smallest I've got with the Monster is circled...…

Inkedsat. & sun. - Copy_LI.jpg

Geraldsr

Greenie
Dec 5, 2022
The GB Pro is an excellent nugget machine and will find even small nuggets. The ground balance is easy to do by just pressing a button, unlike the GB2 which you have to do by ear with a knob.
Check Chris Ralph's video on theGold Bug Pro on You Tube.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Minelab Goldmonster--very low learning curve, hot on gold, but as you asked about the Bug Pro, I love mine and have found lots of nuggets with it--easy learning curve, reasonable price. It will find coins too, but I use it almost exclusively for gold--light enough to swing all day.

All the best,

Lanny

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Deus 1 and the ORX are fantastic on small gold and they handle ground mineralization extremely well. The other nice thing is with the 9" round HF and the 9.5" elliptical HF you have six groupings (three on each coil) of available frequencies from 14khz to 80.7khz. The round HF goes up to 50khz and the elliptical goes up to 80.7khz. Right now the ORX with your choice of coil and wired headphones is around $599. There are wireless headphones available also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread