Pay to Play Nugget Shooting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think(??) I read of a Phoenix based club that does or did that but I think it was for metal detectorists. Maybe do a google search of the clubs and their activities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking along the lines of a place that provided lodging similiar to Airbnb and access to that type of mining.

I seem to remember some commercial mines allowing detecting after they scraped the pay gravel off. Not sure what to google.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is exactly what I did for 10-years at Arizona Gold Adventures. It is a very expensive business to get into. The reason is liability insurance, equipment and claim costs, and keeping professional placer miners to instruct. Clubs do "pushes" every now and then when they can get the permits, but that has become very rare these days. Shoot me a PM, and I'll put you in touch with Bill Southern in Morristown, AZ.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Terry.
I'm curious, what percentage of your customers were people vacationing from overseas?

I was simply looking to see how many outfits offered this type of service. Kind of wanted to check out some websites..check prices. Merely curiosity.

I met a guy once that ran a business similar to this, but his operation focused on dredging and a small trommel operation.
He also ran it like a "guide" type operation. People just showed up and he provided equipment and instruction. He said most of his customers were repeat annual customers.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 45-percent were from Japan and Europe. 90-percent were "Bucket List," clients, and 10-percent were hardcore multi-day nuggetshooters. Most of the operations left that I know of are in Alaska.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
tours to downunder too

edit: used to be to the Osa here in CR also, but no more
I suspect there may be some operators in Panama, conditions are ok

Last edited:

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only places i knew about that i knew weren't salted were Ganes and Moore creeks I was lucky enough to have been in both places before they became pay to mine. Banged in some nice gold in both areas. I worked near Ganes at one of the LRRSs sites this was a rich area for sure. There were several places where i got to hunt, as i got to meet several of the miners areas that were mined out but i managed to find gold. This was an exciting part of my life, working at a high paying job site and able to drive to areas to detect.. To this day my detector probably is the only one that has been there.. Lol I remember one sunday i drove to an area that i wanted to hunt. I parked, grabbed my gear and walked over to where the conical shaped tailing piles started. Dragline tailings. The drone from the millions of mosquitos was too much for me lol i just got back in the truck and drove over to Ganes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions