DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am considering getting a MD with the main focus on prospecting and nugget shooting, most likely in Colorado. I do not want to sink too much into it (less than $500) as I will likely only be able to make trips once or twice a year.

I have read much of the similarities between the various Fisher/Teknetics models, many claiming they are "the same thing as" another model - "except for feature A or B". In particular, the Fisher F19 and Gold Bug Pro, and the Tek G2 (base model, not the G2+). I was hoping any of you have experience with all three. Most side-by-side comparisons are between these two or those two, by different reviewers, so their criteria don't always dovetail, and make it hard to form an opinion of three or more.

Bottom, line I guess, is, given the choice of the three listed above, which would be the most useful and effective?

Yes, I would love to double my price limit, and get a GMT, GB2, Nokta Gold Finder, or even a ML Gold Monster...so please do not respond with, "...for just a couple hundred more, you could get... "

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the type of gold to be found in Co.

all three listed are equally frustrating. They are best for coins and relics. Even the GB pro is hyped up in its abilities. Most good reviews were early and made by very experience nugget hunters on very good ground. They are great for trashy areas. But the depth capabilities on small gold is terrible especially in hot ground. I sold mine and went back to my GB@ until I got an SDC2300. went back over the same areas. Got way more gold and am still getting it as I layer down.

I have found gold with a GB pro but it was larger and shallow. You can not get around having to spend more if you are serious about hunting gold.

Save up and buy used if you can.

OP
OP
D

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have perused the regular market places for used machines, and have found several under my price limit - some considerably below it: Macro Gold Kruzer w/ 2 coils (bought new last April), Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold (18.75 khz coil) and Garrett AT Gold. I'm leaning towards the Kruzer, as it has the higher frequency (61 khz) to find tiny gold, and the tech is newer. The X-T and ATG are both well-known and documented machines, and each have a lower learning curve, as well as useful for general-purpose. I currently have a Fisher F44 that I do well with coins and relics, but have been considering a specialized machine for prospecting. I see on many posts here that both the Makro Kruzer and Racer have happy owners...so I guess you can see where I'm leaning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I pulled the trigger, and decided on the X-T 705 Gold Pack. Negotiated a very good price, so I am happy with what I'm getting. Most knowledgeable experts on line (Steve H., et al.) say it compares reasonably equal to the GB Pro, but with a few better features. It comes with the 5x10" DD 18.75 khz coil, and plan to add a 6" DD later for sniping the tight spots.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just go slow. work shallow ground. still expect noise in mixed material.

I did find my Banner with a GB pro but I still sold it. When I used an SDC and saw what I was still missing.

Since your in Kansas it is gonna be a killer relic coin machine:icon_thumleft:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've found some nice gold with the 705, and boxes of coins, really.

Higher learning curve than some others, but it'll treat you right, but I'd get that DD coil if you're serious about chasing nuggets . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread