Volcanic nuggets

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
After watching a few videos and hearing many stories of volcanic nuggets am thinking of giving it a try ..Any thoughts on what detector to use ?? What i seen and heard the nuggets are in the 5 oz to kilo size i guess 1 oz would be small size . The depth with there $100 detector was about 6" to 12" what i seen . In some areas where am at high freq VLF are worthless due to iron in the soil .. Am guessing the machines they are using look to be VLF in the 5 to 10 khz range with 8" coils ... Any thoughts would be helpful

Upvote 0
OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
What i seen in one video its what they called a gold nugget which came from a volcanic explosion 300 years ago. On the island am on they are rare but after watching some of these videos they might be common there many stories from the taal volcano area . I guess if your in the right area even with a kids detector you could find a large nugget ....On the island am on a guy found a kilo size nugget with no detector about 20 years ago

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never heard of those nuggets, sounds interesting.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
There a few videos on you tube that are really interesting looks like they are filmed in Philippines am guessing with its 7104 islands and many active volcano

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
The local stories on island am on are real , the Taal story i believe they were in the news and the you tube videos might of been faked you could be right or its possible they are real there is gold here and there millions of con artists so you never know for sure

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
some might not be familiar with the stratigraphic location of "balderdash"

in general terms (not really related to Dante's levels):
smoke
tripe
balderdash (volcanic nuggets)
steer manure
whale excrement (bottom of the ocean)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't make sense geologically

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
If it doesnt make sense geologically then were do these shallow big nuggets come from ?? There 23 active volcanoes here and hundreds of dead ones i just looked it up .. if a large nugget in soil less then 12" deep no were near bedrock it couldn't been there that long a time that soil what thousands of years old and these islands are less then 20 million years old not like places that are a billion years old like Alaska ...and if it fell from space i think it be a lot deeper ......

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No No No! Let me explain. Molten metals DO come to the surface when magma moves. In a volcanic eruption, LIGHTER minerals get blasted out. 90% or more are silicon and oxygen with minor amounts of lithium, iron, titanium. These are extrusive igneous rocks.

Where the GOLD comes from are from the more secretive INTRUSIVE magma intrusions into the upper crust - that is, veins! The veins come in as molten solutions, mainly eons ago, then the rocks around them erode and the gold is left for us. Some hard rock mines have the gold still in place in the surrounding rocks.

Having ton sized gold nuggets (molten) fall from the sky would make the disaster movies much more fun!

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Smokey in all the years i've been here i have never heard of anyone finding a vein of gold or any stories of large amounts ( tons ) of gold being found on the island am on .... ....but after listening to you and few other members i guess its possible that a vein could of been blasted out of the side of a volcano which could explain the few large nuggets being found on or near the surface ( Taal 90% of the volcano was blasted away ) ....So the point your trying to make is that gold is to heavy to be blasted from the core ....i guess the 20 ton rocks i seen flying threw the sky were from the surface .....one thing i seen they are found in area were no gold was ever found and once word gets out you have a Gold Rush thousands of miners who find nothing but gold dust on the bedrock with mercury ...I what to thank you smokey for clearing this matter up

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Smokey in all the years i've been here i have never heard of anyone finding a vein of gold or any stories of large amounts ( tons ) of gold being found on the island am on .... ....but after listening to you and few other members i guess its possible that a vein could of been blasted out of the side of a volcano which could explain the few large nuggets being found on or near the surface ( Taal 90% of the volcano was blasted away ) ....So the point your trying to make is that gold is to heavy to be blasted from the core ....i guess the 20 ton rocks i seen flying threw the sky were from the surface .....one thing i seen they are found in area were no gold was ever found and once word gets out you have a Gold Rush thousands of miners who find nothing but gold dust on the bedrock with mercury ...I what to thank you smokey for clearing this matter up

Not that gold would be too heavy to be blasted out from a volcano as in it would be too heavy to move, but what is meant is that you don't find gold in or near the volcano in the first place. The volcano is not made of rocks with gold, it is made of rocks which are made of lighter elements light silicon as mentioned before.

To all of us, it doesn't make sense and we've never heard about such a deposit before so it seems unlikely that it is what you've heard it's like but one thing is for sure that there is gold out there. I'm in the middle of the book "Intrepid Explorer" by David Lowell (Recently recommended by someone here on Tnet, thanks, but I can't remember who it was, maybe Dizzy?), anyway, Mr Lowell did a fair amount of exploration for big mines looking for gold and copper in remote places in the Philipines so it's out there. Who knows where or how much.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
OwenT the large nuggets ( 4 ) that 2 British women found that started a gold rush were from the crater of the Taal volcano ( many have been found since the rush ).....Here where am at the one kilo nugget was found at the base of the volcano about 20 miles from the top of the cone which started another gold rush as far as i know 3 large nuggets were found and since 1000s of miners have found nothing worth talking about ...what i noticed in the videos the nuggets are like sphere in shape that why i thought they were shot out ...like how they drop lead to make shot ...to me what ive seen of nuggets from other places in the world they do look different ...i believe the Taal area was over looked in the past ...the island am on ive searched some rivers found nothing its not famous for mining here .. and you mention lighter elements well around this volcano the core samples show copper , lead and silver in small amounts but iron is off the scales iron rocks are every where and i know they came from the volcano this area is famous for bleeding rocks and red rivers i forget the old german term for this...I agree with you that it dosn't sound correct but the women said there was eruption 300 years ago here 3000 years ago and Taal probably one of the last ice ages because that one was off the scales ...like what smokey said if its impossible for it to come from the core then i guess they came from outer space but to me they are the wrong shape and not deep enough ...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get a picture? Just because there is a volcano nearby does not necessarily mean some person had not lost the gold there in times past. It may have nothing to do with the local mineralogy. If they are round spheres, they may have been smelted and lost, or stolen and then lost. Maybe even hidden treasure that has been scattered. That's the most likely explanation. People made the spheres and in time they were lost. Native gold does not generally occur in that shape. Gold created crystals, irregular shaped nuggets, flatter fans, specs, that type of thing.

Not outer space.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey they are not perfect spheres in the one video you see the women dig them up they are in natural state i did notice one small nugget that was normal looking ....looks like a coconut farming area the soil not hard and don't look sandy i don't see the volcano in the back ground but it looks like the Philippines to me ...i Agree with the members here but i know for a fact the one kilo nugget was real and it was in soil only a few inches down the bedrock in that area is at least 3 to 4 feet down i visit the site many times its in siaton negros oriental about 3 miles up the hill from highway marker 70 within days of the find there was hundreds of people looking ...what that women dug out of the ground if it was the real deal and not staged to me didn't come from outer space and to me its shape and depth it wasn't that old... If you want to see the nuggets just type volcanic nuggets in you tube there about 10 videos and please tell me if this looks staged to you and its all BS because am a treasure hunter not a miner

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hmmm, could be click-bait, nuggets kind of look like painted rocks, the big one quite porous? Walks in a pretty straight line to the second nugget, doesn't check the areas to the right at all, then just kind of zeros in on the big nugget without sweeping? In addition, as she gets close to that huge nugget, it should overload her detector, period! But, on the video, it just sounds like a target response, fishy . . . Plus when the finder runs the big rock under the coil after extracting it, it's so close to the coil, why doesn't it overload that little VLF? Why??

Something seems off, and basalt/lava rock is what comes out of volcanoes, right? That stuff is pretty hot electronically, and she's using a little VLF Bounty Hunter? I've hunted around basalt/lava rock before, and it's bad news. Too many questions for me . . . I'd tread carefully, lots of fake gold nugget finding videos on Youtube, and any basalt/lava rock I've seen doesn't come up in sheets like that, it's hard rock to get through.

I could be wrong, but it looks like click-bait to me, and they're doing quite well getting the clicks.

Once again, I'd tread carefully before shelling out money on a detector if you're new to the chase.

P.S. Did an Internet search, no news on a goldrush at the Taal Volcano in the Philippines, being kept awful quiet considering the size of the nuggets.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions