CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend has been doing pretty good with his Nox. He just sent me these. He found some last week also. D84D0CA1-9C42-4331-88E1-020E4BF8577D.jpeg 2EC5543F-C37A-49CE-A848-545662BD423D.jpeg

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out last week and alternated between a Nox800 and GPX5000. Nothing wrong with the NOX, but I found my nuggets with the GPX. Next time, might be different. ;-)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was out last week and alternated between a Nox800 and GPX5000. Nothing wrong with the NOX, but I found my nuggets with the GPX. Next time, might be different. ;-)

Nice find by the way, enjoyed the video too.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
meMiner: Bought the Nox 800 from Doc while I was here in Vegas. Doc is such a great guy and he always has such interesting stories to tell as well. Got to tour his warehouse at this new location as well. He even introduced me to his new custom-made pick, looks like a winner, and maybe I'll get a chance to use it while I'm here in the desert country.

All the best, and keep your videos and associated adventures coming!

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lanny
Hope you enjoy your Nox. A new pick also sounds good. Next year, I plan on getting into the water with the Nox (good to 10') to see if I can detect silver or gold that are out of reach to most detectors. A few years ago, I tried for nuggets with scuba gear with a Fisher CZ21, but it was not sensitive enough to small gold. I would now only use that machine in deep water on exposed bedrock.

The one thing I learned about the Nox is to be wary of the numbers on the screen. With other detectors (eg. Fisher F75) the number will tell you the metal, especially on an air test after the target is dug up. With the Nox, as the objects get smaller, so do the numbers. When I first started using my Nox, I probably passed up on some good targets because I ignored really low numbers. On the other hand, really high numbers on large objects can mostly be trusted. The Nox seems good at disregarding quite a bit or iron trash, but still has a problem with the little pieces of slaw from dozer blades and the such. I think the best answer (unless you are in a hurry or whooped tired), is to dig everything with a repeatable signal that the number doesn't bounce around. Any target that was bouncy eg. 7/12/16/5 that I have dug has always been junk. Same with targets that were not repeatable on swings from different angles. On the other hand, a 7/7/6 or 3/3/3 or whatever that is more consistent needs to be pursued. I still ignore zeros and ones or I would exhaust myself digging holes *** unless the little spot has already yielded results. If you learn something different, I am all ears. ;-)

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the tips, love the detailed advice and the explanations, very helpful as learning any new detector can be a challenging journey, but it's wonderful to have some inside knowledge as well, and you've done a great job of describing some things that need close attention

I know you've had success finding beautiful silver specimens with the Nox, and if any of the viewers of this forum have not taken the chance to check out some of your videos, they should, as the videos are informative and interesting.

All the best, and thanks again,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread