A nice chunk the old timers missed

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this peice yesterday in the California motherlode area, only a couple of miles from Coloma in a well historically worked feeder creek. My whites tdi whit nuggetfinder sadie coil only slightly heard it at first, it was in a bedrock crack in the middle of the creek about 2 inches wide, and 6-8 inches deep. I turned and stuck the coil down and then it screamed!

Not too far away I dug this pick tip from a long tom tailing pile, it's in very good condition as well and an awesome find.

What makes this find special to me is location, this area has been hit hard and early by the old times and finding one like this that they missed really is pretty neat. It goes to show you just never know, and for sure they didn't get it all! 20191124_125839.jpg 20191123_161028.jpg 20191123_145051.jpg

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty, Congrats!

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good job...!!!! What ya get, just shy of an ounce? I got a few little bits last 2 weeks (7) with the Monster but I'm gonna call it....ground is frozen and too tuff to dig

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just that peice a lily shy of 1/3rd ounce. The other items in the photo are my targets all mostly lead. I only was there for 2 hours!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this peice yesterday in the California motherlode area, only a couple of miles from Coloma in a well historically worked feeder creek. My whites tdi whit nuggetfinder sadie coil only slightly heard it at first, it was in a bedrock crack in the middle of the creek about 2 inches wide, and 6-8 inches deep. I turned and stuck the coil down and then it screamed!

Not too far away I dug this pick tip from a long tom tailing pile, it's in very good condition as well and an awesome find.

What makes this find special to me is location, this area has been hit hard and early by the old times and finding one like this that they missed really is pretty neat. It goes to show you just never know, and for sure they didn't get it all!

No, they sure didn't get it all by a long shot, but far too many buy a detector, swing it a few times, and they quickly arrive at the faulty conclusion that there's nothing left to be found.

Thanks for the pictures and the description of the find as well as your other photos.

All the best,

Lanny

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect broken pick tips..just one of those weird things...they sound like a million bucks every time.
Figure I'll have an old mason jar full some day.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a nice one, looks like it was brand new when it broke off.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What makes this find special to me is location, this area has been hit hard and early by the old times and finding one like this that they missed really is pretty neat. It goes to show you just never know, and for sure they didn't get it all! View attachment 1774620 View attachment 1774621 View attachment 1774622

It is a nice lump.

My favorite thing about the area is how early it was dug..yet not really pounded as hard later as many spots in the Motherlode.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true Jarrod, it's evident everywhere, not much has been re worked much at all. That place is something special for sure!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a nice one, looks like it was brand new when it broke off.

It was common for newly sharpened picks to break. If they were lucky it was just the first 1/2" that broke. I think that's why the blacksmiths stamped their company name on them.
They probably had to stand by their products if they were selling locally.

The joint venture mining partnerships usually had a blacksmith shop somewhere near the mining operation. That guy was probably busy for sure.

The real early gold rush miners had to make due and try to build/repair what they could in a fire pit without much metallurgy knowledge.
We run across some real crude pieces around those old camps.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread