Detecting gold nuggets in europe ?

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

In Australia, if you know where to search, you can find gold nuggets with your metal detector. But for me, it's too much effort to get to australia and search so i want to search in europe.

How's the situation in europe ? I can't seem to find any good info on locations where gold nuggets have been previously found with metal detectors.

I live in central europe, so after some research i came to the result that the carpat mountains in romania (Rosia Montana) seem to be one of the biggest gold deposit in europe. Finland also seems to have gold.

Has anyone ever been in romania (or other european locations) using a metal detector to find gold ? I mean places where you can potentially find decent sized nuggets, like in australia, if that's possible at all in europe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great advice...
What do you think i'm doing.
I just wrote that there's very little information on the internet, so i'm asking here. I consider this research, too.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I googled it btw.

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah thanks for the link, but as you can imagine i already read that 10 times, and it is also unspecific. There's a reason why i'm asking here.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem you have is you need to forget gold nuggets and go after gold/silver coins, the reason you dont find any info is because theres no gold nuggets in central Europe, I want to detect gold nuggets to but in my region its all flour gold so I sluice and pan for me gold...

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great advice...
What do you think i'm doing.
I just wrote that there's very little information on the internet, so i'm asking here. I consider this research, too.

Yeah thanks for the link, but as you can imagine i already read that 10 times, and it is also unspecific....

merlin01 you might want to be careful with your attitude. I'm not sure if English is your first language or not, but you're coming across as sarcastic and entitled.
I've been reading this forum for a decade and I cannot remember anyone giving up specific locations where gold nuggets can be found with a metal detector. You probably need to reduce your expectations - it's unlikely someone will give you easy answers.

The more I think about it.....
There's a reason why i'm asking here.
Is your reason because you are trolling us?

If not, and if you want serious input, then consider that people have been living in Europe for many thousand years and gold is one of the most precious metals on the earth, so people have been looking for it for a long time. Combine that with the fact that metal detectors only detect relatively shallow nuggets (less than a foot deep), so in geological terms they're basically on the surface. And combine that with thousands of years of "natural soil churn" (ice freezes/thaws, rains that erode the land, etc.) to reveal what's just below the surface. Looking at all that in combination I would hypothesize that most of the easy to find gold nuggets in Europe have been found.
They're hard enough to find in the US, Canada and Australia - countries that have only been gold mined for a few hundred years or less.

Bluntly I think you might be wasting your time (or ours if you're trolling).
- Brian

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

In Australia, if you know where to search, you can find gold nuggets with your metal detector. But for me, it's too much effort to get to australia and search so i want to search in europe.

How's the situation in europe ? I can't seem to find any good info on locations where gold nuggets have been previously found with metal detectors.

I live in central europe, so after some research i came to the result that the carpat mountains in romania (Rosia Montana) seem to be one of the biggest gold deposit in europe. Finland also seems to have gold.

Has anyone ever been in romania (or other european locations) using a metal detector to find gold ? I mean places where you can potentially find decent sized nuggets, like in australia, if that's possible at all in europe.

Honestly, there are no known placer deposits I can think of or find in Europe except, Scotland, Wales, Northern Lapland, and Austria's Tyrol Valley. :occasion14:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

don't let your first interaction with some of our rudest members hold you back man.

Look into Belgium. It has very favorable geology and a history of mining. France and Germany as well. But their regulations make it difficult.

I would really look into Finnish Lapland it has placer and lode gold. Very favorable geology for nuggets. A very active small scale community.

There is an active "recreational" gold prospecting presence in the Czech Republic as well. Lode and placer gold has been mined there for at least 2000 years.

Switzerland has consistent fine placer gold.

Don't let anyone tell you that there are no real gold deposits in Europe. Especially placer deposits. it just isn't true.

Did you see the 85g chunk just found in the UK? They are out there. Keep in mind there are no where near the amount of gold panners as in the US.
I say you have great chances of finding decent gold if you work for it.

The notion that Europe's age and the amount of time people have been there . Means all the good nuggets have been found goes against all logic. Europeans have buried more gold in their ground Than they have ever seriously attempted to pull out. Gold mining techniques have improved vastly as well as geologic knowledge. Since the time when gold was used mainly as decoration. Considering that those improvements came about when much of Europe had itchy feet. And visions of golden cities over the far horizon..Inadvertently led to them leaving a whole lot of it in the ground they were already standing on.

Sorry you got some really unhelpful replies. But, this is an internet gold forum.

Mainly you will find people who hope to find gold leaving sluice boxes in streams to come back to later...panning sand from the hardware store...and talking themselves and anyone else that dares to listen. Out of finding gold.

It's weird.Yet, oh so common.

Just keep doing your own research. Look into mining history of certain regions as you come across them. Just like here and in Australia. The best places are where it has been found before. Good luck. You will find some just keep digging.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goldwasher I would be happy to be wrong. I don’t think what I said goes against logic and I stand by the logic, even if in fact what I said was wrong. I don’t know anything about Europe and it’s gold deposits and was just trying to apply what I know about the US to the topic (Again I can admit if I’m wrong).

And characterizing me as “...some of our rudest members” is just plain unfair. I actually am almost always very constructive and helpful.

But look at it from my point of view for a moment: a new member shows up and asks the public to reveal great locations to find gold nuggets. And then the new member proceeds to be pretty rude himself to some people who offered suggestions.
I read that and think “this can’t be for real”.
And we don’t have any evidence is actually is for real by the way.

Last edited:

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Eastern France, right on the border with Switzerland, Germany 20 mins away.. I did plenty of digging into info a few years ago,, from what i gathered, there is gold about, lots of stories from the old folks (which i love) about Roman Gold and where they were finding it... Alas i haven't hit it yet.
The Rhine which is close by, has gold, flowing down from Swiss Alps, there are regular gold panning events along it's German shore.. So the gold is making it's way into the big rivers from somewhere... Seems like you will need to get wet. I have some locations marked out for future adventures, but have no idea if they will be productive..
My advice, start close to home, dig into local legends and stories.. there is always truth somewhere in these tales..

Bonne chance

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy is in a dream relic area, he just doesnt know how good he has it... I guess we all want what we cant have..

Im in the US but to detect nuggets I would have to go west for about 35 hours...

Gold washer calling out the RUDEST members....???

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
his first "answers"

"do some research"

"I googled it btw"

"the problem you have is you need to forget gold nuggets..."

Yes I am pretty brash sometimes...probably why I don't get many likes. I also go out of my way to not help people:laughing9:

I guess I too should go on the campaign to call the op a troll. Since trying to expand what little info he could find on his own is out of the question.
The basement did not send their best to greet this guy. I showed up just in time.:occasion14:

Google it...why didn't i think of that? oh yea, I use Bing. My bad.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
his first "answers"

"do some research"

"I googled it btw"

"the problem you have is you need to forget gold nuggets..."

Yes I am pretty brash sometimes...probably why I don't get many likes. I also go out of my way to not help people:laughing9:

I guess I too should go on the campaign to call the op a troll. Since trying to expand what little info he could find on his own is out of the question.
The basement did not send their best to greet this guy. I showed up just in time.:occasion14:

Google it...why didn't i think of that? oh yea, I use Bing. My bad.

You make a good point, some times its hard to understand and be nice to the clueless ones.... I will strive for the Goldwasher way... :occasion14:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he never asked for specific or "great" locations. He asked if you can find gold nuggets in Europe with a metal detector.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is more in line with the statements and info I shared. Added to by Merlins own research. As he adds to it.
As well as what ever other info others may feel like sharing with him.

Doubling down and justifying calling him a troll..and claiming we don't have proof he is real? From my point of view is rude. Also against Tnet "rules"

The only person before me who made any sincere suggestions was Terry.

Sorry I noticed:icon_scratch:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make a good point, some times its hard to understand and be nice to the clueless ones.... I will strive for the Goldwasher way... :occasion14:

Believe me I know I dish it out..but, I promise its for the greater good:laughing7:

We don't know how "clueless " Merlin is lol. Maybe he already detects for artifacts and heard about nugget hunting..wouldn't be the first time right?

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about me is that i was in australia once for a holiday and part of that was a two day metal detector search. Apart from alot of iron trash like nails i managed to find 8 nuggets. Some bigger, some smaller. They were put on a scale and then we made a very small gold bar out of all we found and my friend, who showed me everything, later sold the gold and it covered a good amount of my journeys expenses. That was fascinating to me. Walking through the desert, pulling money out of the ground. (Mostly nails or bullets though). Not that i want to make a living out of it, but i honestly say that i am not interested at all in things i could find that have an "ideological" value, and no monetary value.

Now i want to do this in europe, too. Because i live here. And from where i live to the last corner of europe it's about 2000km/1250miles, which is still more managable than flying to australia all the time.

I personally don't care about coins, because nobody will pay more than the gold material price around here. There are probably too many of them already. And if some of you are thinking about Nazi Gold. Forget it, mostly myths or already found.

I want to find gold. Nuggets.

So i read online. Romania seemed to be a big gold deposit, but it turns out after some reasearch that it's not ideal for detectors because the gold there is too small for detectors, and the locals already tried for a long time, but weren't sucessful with detectors.

So maybe Finland.

On one side europe has seen gold mining for a long time, but on the other side in some places in europe close to zero people are using a metal detector for gold searching, so i think the two aspects of the long history and the smaller detector community maybe equalize itself.

Last edited:

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah thanks for the link, but as you can imagine i already read that 10 times, and it is also unspecific. There's a reason why i'm asking here.

No one will draw you a treasure map with an x on it, if they knew exact locations they would dig it themselves.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread