Metal detecting for gold for a living, can it work?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be blunt, I hate my job and am tired of it. I've already tried my hand at panning/sluicing but at best I can only pull out half a gram a day after breaking my back. Dredging is illegal in California as well so is metal detecting the only possible way to make a living out of hunting for gold for an individual prospector with limited funds? Or is this strictly something that should only be done as a recreational hobby?

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like alot of guys dredge in California, they must all be breaking the law??

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forget it. It is a gold fever dream. Many acquaintances have tried, and lost their initial investment in equipment and claims. It is a hobby at this point in the United States. :skullflag:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are more than 690,000 people working in the non coal mining industry in the U.S.
Their average rate of pay is $35.49 an hour.

Employment is rising as are wages.
There is no lack of jobs or pay in gold mining.

Nevada would be a good place to start your professional gold mining career.

Even if you don't have professional credentials you can start working for a productive mine and work your way up.

If you already have some skills you don't have to start at the bottom.
Can you drive a truck?

If you have no skills but the ability to sweep up and follow instructions you can work in a gold mine.
Even as a Janitor you will probably get better pay than most skilled jobs.

If you just want to mine gold alone and make a living you could star in a TV show. Just act stupid and pretend a few grams excite you. Heck if you can pan you are already way ahead of most gold show "actors". :tongue3:

The point being that a whole bunch of your fellow citizens make a good living mining gold. You just have to pick a direction and give it your all. Professionals get paid well but they all started as know nothings. Be as professional as you can and I think you will find your dream is not only possible but just a matter of doing it.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of depends on how much money a day you need to make.
I notice that people working for themselves, rarely put all their eggs in one basket.
They usually have their hands in multiple business ventures.

My brother operated loader for a large mine..then he worked servicing and repairing mining equipment..now he works on a mining barge doing a little bit of everything.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... so is metal detecting the only possible way to make a living out of hunting for gold for an individual prospector with limited funds? Or is this strictly something that should only be done as a recreational hobby?

Again, some neat answers, but the simple truth is no. Limited funds and nuggetshooting do not mix, period. :occasion14:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are more than 690,000 people working in the non coal mining industry in the U.S.

Even if you don't have professional credentials you can start working for a productive mine and work your way up.

Can you drive a truck?

If you have no skills but the ability to sweep up and follow instructions you can work in a gold mine.

If you just want to mine gold alone and make a living you could star in a TV show. Just act stupid and pretend a few grams excite you. Heck if you can pan you are already way ahead of most gold show "actors". :tongue3:

The point being that a whole bunch of your fellow citizens make a good living mining gold. You just have to pick a direction and give it your all. Professionals get paid well but they all started as know nothings. Be as professional as you can and I think you will find your dream is not only possible but just a matter of doing it.

Heavy Pans

Good info, Clay. Your advice is solid in suggesting working for an existing mine, in Nevada especially. 5.6+ million ounces produced in 2017! Over 3/4ths of U.S. total output. It's a happening place.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you don't like your job, get a different job. At least change who you work for. Metal detecting for gold is a hobby for 99.8% of people doing it. Me included....but I
like my day job. Dennis

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not everyone has to travel 800 miles, pay to play, pay a guide, or buy an $8K detector...ect. In order to find gold detecting.
It's a big world out there. Some people do pretty well.

I think you can ALWAYS make better money in the long run working a decent paying 8-5 job.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roadkill.PNG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's really only one way to know. You're going to have to quit the job and give it a go. I'll be rooting for ya

Prospector Paul

Greenie
Aug 5, 2019
California, U.S.
Detector(s) used
Deep gold detectors I've designed
Primary Interest:
Other
You might be interested in the deep gold. It seems most good ground has been scanned down to a certain depth, a limit of present technology. Keep your eyes out for major breakthroughs in detectors capable of detecting at deeper depths. That means digging deeper, so you might want to get a good electric auger to dig those deep nuggets. Make sure it has reverse, and a relatively small diameter head. With some practice you can dig those deep holes in a matter of minutes in most ground types.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty Henry did it for a living for years,............

But, that was years ago,........ and in Austrailia.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
if you dont mind living in a bum camp at the location of the said mining, you could make it work. i couldnt see making more than $40 a day for an average. luckily for me they have no money to buy a detector, nor a way to charge batteries, so i can have a fun time out and maybe have a chance at some gold.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be blunt, I hate my job and am tired of it. I've already tried my hand at panning/sluicing but at best I can only pull out half a gram a day after breaking my back. Dredging is illegal in California as well so is metal detecting the only possible way to make a living out of hunting for gold for an individual prospector with limited funds? Or is this strictly something that should only be done as a recreational hobby?

As an individual I have been at it for many years now but only more than part time since I retired 10 years ago and 100% full time only the last 2 years. So far there is no way I could live solely on my gold hunting income. While there are some decent paydays short term, the good gold always seems to peter out and new paying ground has to be discovered. For me the dry spells between finding decent paying prospects make annual income averages below the poverty level.

In my opinion the chances for an individual to make a consistent living nugget hunting with a detector is like hitting the lottery........ slim and none. :tongue3:
My advice is to get a job that you can be happy with and keep the dream alive in your spare time.

Every time I go out hunting for that monster nugget I say to myself "Today is the day!" and I'm sure one day it will be.:occasion14:

1l9moo.jpg

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an individual I have been at it for many years now but only more than part time since I retired 10 years ago and 100% full time only the last 2 years. So far there is no way I could live solely on my gold hunting income. While there are some decent paydays short term, the good gold always seems to peter out and new paying ground has to be discovered. For me the dry spells between finding decent paying prospects make annual income averages below the poverty level.

In my opinion the chances for an individual to make a consistent living nugget hunting with a detector is like hitting the lottery........ slim and none. :tongue3:
My advice is to get a job that you can be happy with and keep the dream alive in your spare time.

Every time I go out hunting for that monster nugget I say to myself "Today is the day!" and I'm sure one day it will be.:occasion14:

View attachment 1782561

Go for the Gold
GG~

Ain't that the truth.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Can you drive a truck?

Heavy Pans

Just saw this post.

Yep Nevada is booming. Right on Clay.

We’re there all the time. The house-building in Winnemucca is incredible as the mines hire like crazy.

You know who’s doing the majority of the hard work? Hispanics. The hotels are full of them. Mine bosses say they can’t find whites or blacks in numbers to do the work. In fact in Northern Nevada the only blacks I see are driving past on Hwy 80. Not sure the reason but the opportunities are there. I married a hot-blooded Latin woman and I talk with the Hispanic mine workers all the time. They bust their ass 12 hours a day and call their families at night.

Mining is a GREAT career choice. Do what Clay said. Get your ass out there and pay your dues. Take night classes if you want to become a geologist or higher-paid worker. Driving a truck is a great start!!

If I was young again I’d be out there “mucking” you bet. Would have killed for a job like that.

Well-said Clay.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread