Will a Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro Doube D 12" Coil pick up on Gold Nuggets?

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep does it find a nickle or a pull tab?

7.8 khz is not going to find small gold. you can probably rub a piece on the coil and it won't hear it.

Look for a used gold detector on Craigslist. A gb2, GB pro, Gmt, MXT or tesoro will probably get you better relics and counts too.

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
small gold will be your bread and butter.... Gold bug(s), Goldmonster, and Equinox will cover your small gold needs...… There are others but those 3 seem to be the most popular and have a proven track record on small gold. There's currently a used bug 4-sale on Detector Prospector website.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
with a lot of luck. and just as much persistence. I will offer you this bit of information. ask urself why do i not see a lot of old guys metal detecting ?

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a 7.8 khz metal detector and small gold is what adds up in the wilderness for sure. What do you suggest my targets be for a 7.8? I would like to use this detector but will plan to get a gold specific detector.

How deep does it find a nickle or a pull tab?

7.8 khz is not going to find small gold. you can probably rub a piece on the coil and it won't hear it.

Look for a used gold detector on Craigslist. A gb2, GB pro, Gmt, MXT or tesoro will probably get you better relics and counts too.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a 7.8 khz metal detector and small gold is what adds up in the wilderness for sure. What do you suggest my targets be for a 7.8? I would like to use this detector but will plan to get a gold specific detector.

your gonna find nails and canslaw unfortunately. Bigger non ferrous targets that aren't too deep.

Not being negative. I detect for gold at least four times a week. I find a good amount because its a good machine, I know how to use it.
Most importantly I'm on great ground.

I still find gobs of square nails and canslaw.

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with a lot of luck. and just as much persistence. I will offer you this bit of information. ask urself why do i not see a lot of old guys metal detecting ?

I dunno, why do I not see a lot of old guys metal detecting??

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
small gold will be your bread and butter.... Gold bug(s), Goldmonster, and Equinox will cover your small gold needs...… There are others but those 3 seem to be the most popular and have a proven track record on small gold. There's currently a used bug 4-sale on Detector Prospector website.

Thanks, I will check them out!

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your gonna find nails and canslaw unfortunately. Bigger non ferrous targets that aren't too deep.

Not being negative. I detect for gold at least four times a week. I find a good amount because its a good machine, I know how to use it.
Most importantly I'm on great ground.

I still find gobs of square nails and canslaw.

Ah, yes its a bit disappointing to hear, but I am planning a gold prospecting expedition and I want to be as prepared as possible! So what machine are you personally using? I'm not scared to drop the dough ;)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, yes its a bit disappointing to hear, but I am planning a gold prospecting expedition and I want to be as prepared as possible! So what machine are you personally using? I'm not scared to drop the dough ;)

minelab sdc2300

Goldbug2 yet rarely gets used. the sdc finds the same stuff deeper.

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
minelab sdc2300

Goldbug2 yet rarely gets used. the sdc finds the same stuff deeper.

Holy moly that's a price tag! Have you found enough gold to pay for it? Looks like that is the real deal and is worth it if it pays for itself and then some. My $400 platinum pro doesn't even touch the playing field of this detector!

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way you will "pay" for any detector is through persistence and putting the hours in.
If you don't have that type of free time, you will never break even on the cheapest dedicated gold detector.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
start out with a simple cheaper vlf machine like the Goldbug II or Goldmonster and used if possible? Easy machines to learn. If you "take" to the hobby you can always upgrade to a PI machine later.....jmo

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
start out with a simple cheaper vlf machine like the Goldbug II or Goldmonster and used if possible? Easy machines to learn. If you "take" to the hobby you can always upgrade to a PI machine later.....jmo

The problem I've had progressing past the $1,000 gold detector..we have all (in my family) "paid" each them off multiple times..There is no confidence that more $ means more gold. I guess I'd love to see it first hand.

Does a $3-8 thousand simply get you out more and make you dig more
signals (that might turn golden)? Or does it mean more nuggets from areas that were previously silent?

Everyone that's invested seems to be pretty adamant that their money was wisely spent and that they are finding gold that other coils passed over.

I see a lot of craters with trash laying in them..PLEASE CONVINCE ME!

And if your promoting an expensive PI machine please let us know how many years you have been nugget hunting.

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem I've had progressing past the $1,000 gold detector..we have all (in my family) "paid" each them off multiple times..There is no confidence that more $ means more gold. I guess I'd love to see it first hand.

Does a $3-8 thousand simply get you out more and make you dig more
signals (that might turn golden)? Or does it mean more nuggets from areas that were previously silent?

Everyone that's invested seems to be pretty adamant that their money was wisely spent and that they are finding gold that other coils passed over.

I see a lot of craters with trash laying in them..PLEASE CONVINCE ME!

And if your promoting an expensive PI machine please let us know how many years you have been nugget hunting.

You might re-read my post slowly.....I'm trying to let her know she DOESN'T need a spendy PI machine to start out with, baby steps. In defense of a PI machine....they do go deeper than a vlf and quiet down hot rocks... if you decide that's what you must have then that's the individuals decision?

I tried a PI machine (gpx5000) and hated it.....no discrimination, weighed a ton, too many cords getting hung up in the brush, hated the harness, hated wearing headphones, and dug more deep trash than I cared to dig. Sold it as it took the fun outta things FOR ME.

Not sure what my experience has to do with my comment, or yours, as I stated...JMO? But if you need to know, been tecting for 28yrs, 2 short seasons now for nuggets. Using a light weight vlf I have fun and find a few, and that's what it's about for myself.....

totals2018.JPG
goldy4.JPG

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OneGuy - Although I quoted your message...My response was NOT directed at you personally.

More of a general comment...I have difficulty equating a more expensive machine directly to more gold recovered.

Per the experience question..it was not aggressive, rather I wanted to know what benchmark people were using to compare it to. If you had been using VLF gold detectors for many years and a New PI was game changing..I WANT TO KNOW.

Sorry for the miscommunication. I can see how it was interpreted the way you took it.

Nice gold by the way..what were you using and are those your bread and butter nuggets (the "smaller" ones)?

Sorry AUChick - I'm not familiar with the detector you asked about.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! I have above mentioned metal detector that I got for finding relics. Now I am planning to do some gold nugget hunting come summer in Montana. Do you think this metal detector will do the job? Or should I invest in a gold specific metal detector? TY!

You might find someone nearby that would be willing to let you swing your detector over some nuggets.
Do a little testing?

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AUDIGGER..... No problem! I also may have taken things wrong myself, just internet mis-communication that happens all the time. All my gold pictured was got with the Monster. I don't get a lot but enough to keep me enjoying my retirement in summer and looking for more...…….

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy moly that's a price tag! Have you found enough gold to pay for it? Looks like that is the real deal and is worth it if it pays for itself and then some. My $400 platinum pro doesn't even touch the playing field of this detector!

mine has paid for itself more than twice over...and the warranty isnt up yet. it is very expensive, and yes it does work very well. but it is not for someone who isnt a full on detectorist. get a good vlf detector and dig every target. did i say dig every target? dig them all. I am a hypocrite, i know, and i have paid the price. some of them i dug up later only to scold myself for passing the first time.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! I have above mentioned metal detector that I got for finding relics. Now I am planning to do some gold nugget hunting come summer in Montana. Do you think this metal detector will do the job? Or should I invest in a gold specific metal detector? TY!

Hi gold chick
Welcome to Treasure Net!

The Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro will detect Gold nuggets, just not the smaller gold pieces. Also the Platinum Pro does have the ground balancing feature to null out false signals in mineralized ground, which is the type ground gold nuggets are mostly found in. Very important feature to have when nugget hunting.

If you do use your Platinum Pro to go nugget hunting then be sure to hunt in "all metal mode" so that smaller nuggets will be detected at a deeper depth . Also wear headphones if you feel safe to, as that will allow you to hear a fainter signal.

As has been stated in posts above the smaller nuggets are the most common but larger nuggets even though more rare are much more valuable.

I would say try it out for a while this summer and see if you are serious enough to invest in a more expensive gold specific detector.
Good luck and I hope you find some monster nuggets. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions