Prospector's trick of "overtuning" a metal detector....need setup steps please.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prospector's trick of "overtuning" a metal detector....need setup steps please.

Howdy Y'all !

I'm trying to find out how prospector's "overtune" a metal detector, i.e. the step-by-step setup.

I don't own a PI (Pulse Induction) detector, so would like the overtuning setup for my Tesoro Bandido II µMAX. This model is VLF and purely analog, has a Toggle Switch for "true" Threshold-based All Metal , Disc. and Re-Tune Modes, a second Toggle Switch for Normal and Auto Tune Modes and Dials for Ground Balance , Disc. Level ,
POW-OFF / Sensitivity , and Threshold.

Can anyone help me on this ?

Thanks,
Toddb64

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think what you're referring to is to offset the ground balance slightly positive. In normal ground balance, the threshold stays even as the coil is moved up and down over the spoil. Some gold hunters prefer to set the balance so the detector's threshold goes up slightly as the coil is moved towards the ground. That can increase sensitivity to weak targets. in some conditions it may help to set the balance slightly negative, too. That could help to avoid digging hot rocks, though would decrease sensitivity to small gold somewhat.
Jim

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think what you're referring to is to offset the ground balance slightly positive. In normal ground balance, the threshold stays even as the coil is moved up and down over the spoil. Some gold hunters prefer to set the balance so the detector's threshold goes up slightly as the coil is moved towards the ground. That can increase sensitivity to weak targets. in some conditions it may help to set the balance slightly negative, too. That could help to avoid digging hot rocks, though would decrease sensitivity to small gold somewhat.
Jim

Jim.....Thanks a lot ! ;D

ToddB64

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread