Advice on a metal detector.

maui454

Jan 19, 2020
Southern Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm looking at getting a metal detector for mainly gold prospecting. Years ago I had a mxt but never had any luck. I've got some decent ground to search on and I am thinking about a White's TDI. My other choice is a equinox 800, I understand they're two completely different machines I just don't know if I want to go the vlf route again. I'm in southern Oregon and mineralization can be a challenge. Here is a picture of some gold I found sniping and I really want to detect the bedrock where this was found. Thank you

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1575779775072.jpg
    FB_IMG_1575779775072.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi whistler84,

I can confirm that the Whites 24K is an excellent gold prospecting option. It has plenty of really good features like an excellent ground tracking option, 2 tone ferrous/non-ferrous pitch mode, 1 tone VCO audio mode, iron reject, boosted audio and fully adjustable from silent to really loud reference threshold tone. Using the stock 10X6 elliptical coil it can also be used for relic hunting and even coin and jewelry (micro jewelry especially) once you understand the 50/50 target probability numerical display which is not a numerical target ID. If you get one make sure you get the 6.5" coil too. It is really something. Also, if you are hunting for smaller gold, reduce VSAT to setting 1 or if you are using it for really deep stuff. I really like this detector. I am just a nobody, but I hunt with and know some great prospectors that moved on from some very fine specialty gold prospecting detectors once they actually found out from experience how good the 24K really was.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, you really don't sound like a nobody at all, and thanks for the detailed detector descriptions.

All the best,

Lanny

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Jeff, really nice write up. Please continue with your input on the various detectors. I too detect with an older mainframe; my body, and your opinion on this aspect is appreciated.

Mike

markmcknight

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can borrow or rent a Fisher Gold Bug II to try there,......

It might be just the ticket for that location.

Here is some good info,.......
https://huntingformetal.com/gold-detectors/

Best Of Luck!

The Fisher Gold Bug II is one of the best detectors for Gold.

Has anyone used the Garrett ATGold?

It is also supposed to be pretty good. I've also been reading about the Minelab GPX 5000. It also looks good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread