Advice on a metal detector.

maui454

Jan 19, 2020
Southern Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm looking at getting a metal detector for mainly gold prospecting. Years ago I had a mxt but never had any luck. I've got some decent ground to search on and I am thinking about a White's TDI. My other choice is a equinox 800, I understand they're two completely different machines I just don't know if I want to go the vlf route again. I'm in southern Oregon and mineralization can be a challenge. Here is a picture of some gold I found sniping and I really want to detect the bedrock where this was found. Thank you

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1575779775072.jpg
    FB_IMG_1575779775072.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Goldmonster:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
M

maui454

Jan 19, 2020
Southern Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah so the gold monster, you would recommend that over the equinox? I've watched a ton of videos and it seems pretty impressive, but definitely seems a little unstable in hot ground. And as far as the TDI you would think I should pass and stay with the vlf machines?

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you in your decision.

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pm me, I'm in southern Oregon and I have a makro gold racer you can try out..and a new gpx 5000 for me to try out haha

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah so the gold monster, you would recommend that over the equinox? I've watched a ton of videos and it seems pretty impressive, but definitely seems a little unstable in hot ground. And as far as the TDI you would think I should pass and stay with the vlf machines?

For small nuggets, The Minelab Goldmonster is same-same as the Fisher Goldbug II, but it is easier to use and lighter. The TDI - in my never humble opinion, is a POS.

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the gold you have in your picture is probably to small for the TDI SL to see, most PI machines don't do well with small gold. The Gold Monster would not only see it all, you'll be surprised how loud it screams when it gets over it. If you're only looking for bigger gold then the PI is the best tool IMO, it handles mineralized ground and hot rocks much better but the downside is, you miss the small gold. I own, use and like both the TDI SL and the GM but if forced to choose between them, I would pick the Gold Monster. I'm glad I don't have to make that choice :laughing7:

I've never used a NOX so I won't comment on it.

OP
OP
M

maui454

Jan 19, 2020
Southern Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well after lots of thought and picking some other people's brains I decided on the Nox. I also ordered the 6 in coil, the fact that it's waterproof was a strong sell. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after lots of thought and picking some other people's brains I decided on the Nox. I also ordered the 6 in coil, the fact that it's waterproof was a strong sell. Thanks for everyone's advice.

:icon_scratch:
Not really designed for Gold but it will be a good coin shooter :icon_thumleft:
Perhaps you should have picked the brain of a Minelab factory represenative.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Did any of the responses here recommend the Nox?

I have one, but it's not my go-to gold machine. Not sure how you arrived at your decision. Just for curiosity's sake, why did you choose the Nox over a dedicated gold machine? (Will you be doing mostly underwater detecting?) I would seriously like to know your reasoning as it interests me.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
M

maui454

Jan 19, 2020
Southern Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi yes I'm actually on multiple forums and I read a review by a highly respected prospector that the equinox was almost equal to the gold monster. And the fact that it is water proof made more sense to me personally because I do prospect creekside a lot. I appreciate all the feedback I guess it could seem like I didn't listen but in my application if the detector falls in the water it's no big deal. On a plus side this weekend I'm going to a creek that I do not believe has been detected much if at all where my cousin found this specimen I'm very excited!! received_656129028468389.jpeg

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats maui454 on your purchase. I've seen videos and read that the 800 is good on small gold, especially with the small coil, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Good luck and be sure to post how you did.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this seem like a good option? I have been eyeing this model for a whilehttps://youtu.be/y_q2y9fWr_w

rjtyree

Greenie
Sep 24, 2011
If you want a VLF that runs smooth on mineralized ground and is hotter than the monster...check out the water proof Makro Gold kruzer....a very nice machine.....

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi yes I'm actually on multiple forums and I read a review by a highly respected prospector that the equinox was almost equal to the gold monster. And the fact that it is water proof made more sense to me personally because I do prospect creekside a lot. I appreciate all the feedback I guess it could seem like I didn't listen but in my application if the detector falls in the water it's no big deal. On a plus side this weekend I'm going to a creek that I do not believe has been detected much if at all where my cousin found this specimen I'm very excited!! View attachment 1800746

I have read very positive things about the nox for gold as well. I was considering it for a waterproof detector in the future. It does have gold mode for those of you that say it isn't designed for gold. It is designed for gold prospecting as well as coin, relic, beach, park. That is the difference between the nox 600 and 800 from what I understand. I hope you find some yellow! Let us know

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a good choice on the Equinox, but my Fisher Gold Bug Pro, as it's 19khz, and
does real good on dinky little specimen gold samples, that I've air-tested before - altho I've never
done any prospecting with it - I use it to MD coins and etc.
Best of luck, and happy hunting...!

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maui454,

you made a good choice. The Equinox in Gold 1, Gold 2, Park 2 or Field 2 using the 6" coil will hit sub .1 gram gold and will scream on any target over .25 grams. I usually hunt with it in Gold 1 or Gold 2, but you can set up custom Park 2 or Field 2 mode in the user profile in 2 tones and have a really good ferrous tone/non-ferrous tone detector which works. The Equinox 800 has everything you need feature wise even without a true threshold based all metal mode. The Gold modes running in Multi being mostly 20 and 40 kHz and the Nox being a very high gain detector give it plenty of punch especially with the 6" coil. It handles hot rocks and ground noise very well too.

I have used every non-pulse induction gold prospecting detector on the market today and the Equinox (like it is in every other category of detecting that it was designed for) is right up there near the top of the list. The Goldmonster, the Gold Kruzer, the Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, are all outstanding medium to high frequency gold specific detectors. The only other gold specific medium to high frequency detectors that I really like are the XP ORX and the Whites 24K with the 6.5" round coil. I have had some amazing results with the 24K both in testing and real world detecting with that combo. I know some people don't care for the 24K. I was one of them until I got my hands on the 6.5" coil. The XP ORX is also an excellent gold prospecting detector with the white High frequency coils. They have all found me gold. So there are lots of great non-pulse induction detector options out there.

I do have a TDI SL but I have modded it quite a bit AND I don't use any of White's coils (sorry White's, your stock coils..... yuck!!!!) I use Nugget Finder coils which make the TDI SL running at around 15 volts a fairly respectable, lighter weight PI that I don't have to get totally strapped into or need shoulder surgery after using it. Someday, maybe Minelab or some other manufacturer will make a user friendly Pulse Induction gold prospecting detector for girls and guys over 60 that is comfortable to use...... Gold prospecting is hard enough work as it is.

Jeff

Last edited:

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this seem like a good option? I have been eyeing this model for a whilehttps://youtu.be/y_q2y9fWr_w

hi whistler84,

I can confirm that the Whites 24K is an excellent gold prospecting option. It has plenty of really good features like an excellent ground tracking option, 2 tone ferrous/non-ferrous pitch mode, 1 tone VCO audio mode, iron reject, boosted audio and fully adjustable from silent to really loud reference threshold tone. Using the stock 10X6 elliptical coil it can also be used for relic hunting and even coin and jewelry (micro jewelry especially) once you understand the 50/50 target probability numerical display which is not a numerical target ID. If you get one make sure you get the 6.5" coil too. It is really something. Also, if you are hunting for smaller gold, reduce SAT to setting 1 or if you are using it for really deep stuff. I really like this detector. I am just a nobody, but I hunt with and know some great prospectors that moved on from some very fine specialty gold prospecting detectors once they actually found out from experience how good the 24K really was.

Jeff

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions