Moving to Arizona. Need advice...

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. My buddy and I are both retired and moving to Arizona. I’ve done a little prospecting in the Georgia, Tennessee, and Indiana area. I’ve used my CTX 3030 to hunt for coins and relics for a few years and just purchased a gold monster for AZ.
I’m considering getting either a gpx 4500 or gpx 5000 so I have both a vlf detector (for shallow small nuggets near bedrock) and a PI detector for bigger deeper gold.

Is the gpx 5000 worth the current price difference over the gpx 4500?

Also, I’m definitely gonna join a club in AZ. I’m leaning towards Roadrunner. Any advice on local clubs would help.

I’m looking forward to meeting Bill Southern. I’ve watched all his videos on YouTube. He does a great job of explaining the ins and outs of detecting for gold in AZ and how to use the detector properly. Thanks Bill!

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, the Roadrunners have great claims and so does the LDMA. We're at Stanton in the RV Park and love it here. There's a big difference in weight with the GPX5000 over the Gold Monster and I do love my 5000. You can always get a 5000 and it gets my vote, but the Gold Monster is one of the favorites here. Come down, get set up and use your Monster first. Then decide if you need another detector after you've been here and have seen the lay of the land.

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Give Roadrunners a call at their office. They had a try it before you buy it thing going for a small fee that can be applied to your future membership.

AJones

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly, the Roadrunners have great claims and so does the LDMA. We're at Stanton in the RV Park and love it here. There's a big difference in weight with the GPX5000 over the Gold Monster and I do love my 5000. You can always get a 5000 and it gets my vote, but the Gold Monster is one of the favorites here. Come down, get set up and use your Monster first. Then decide if you need another detector after you've been here and have seen the lay of the land.

This is super advice! Big Gold!!:occasion14:

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the GPX 5000. I don’t find it to be heavy but is heavy in comparison.

I have family in AZ. I visit in the winter and stay away in the summer. Dry heat sucks the breathe outta my lungs. lol. Once it was 117F at 3am when I arrived in Phoenix.

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make sure you have a good reliable vehicle to get there and back.
Some of these roads can be a little on the rough side.

DW.JPG

AJones

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! 117 degrees at 3am?!?
My buddy is actually the one buying a house in Arizona. I’m just gonna be his roommate during the cooler months. I’m keeping my house in southern Indiana. Summers are hot and humid here, but nothing close to 117 degrees at 3am. lol.

As far as my vehicle goes, I’ve got an f150 4x4 and I’m bringing my Honda Foreman atv as well, so I hope that will suffice. Thanks for the heads up though.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey
Sorry you moved to that part of America. :laughing7: For more degrading info contact RR on the RCT THREAD.:laughing7:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. My buddy and I are both retired and moving to Arizona. I’ve done a little prospecting in the Georgia, Tennessee, and Indiana area. I’ve used my CTX 3030 to hunt for coins and relics for a few years and just purchased a gold monster for AZ.
I’m considering getting either a gpx 4500 or gpx 5000 so I have both a vlf detector (for shallow small nuggets near bedrock) and a PI detector for bigger deeper gold.

Is the gpx 5000 worth the current price difference over the gpx 4500?

Also, I’m definitely gonna join a club in AZ. I’m leaning towards Roadrunner. Any advice on local clubs would help.

I’m looking forward to meeting Bill Southern. I’ve watched all his videos on YouTube. He does a great job of explaining the ins and outs of detecting for gold in AZ and how to use the detector properly. Thanks Bill!

There are lots of good clubs in AZ. You may also want to check out the Weaver Mining District Club, they have over 2,000 acres of good claims near Rich Hill and they offer short term membership or at least they did several years ago when I first started coming to Arizona to prospect.

My wife and I used to live in Indiana just down the road from you in Clarksville. After we retired we sold our house bought an RV and are now residing in Kingman AZ.

Currently the only club that we belong to is the Mohave Prospectors Club headquartered in Kingman AZ with claims at Gold Basin, but we travel all over Arizona and Nevada to prospect as well as having our own claims.

I do not have a Gold Monster myself but several of the MPC club members do and they swear by them saying that they find more gold now.
It's great out here and we love it! I'm sure you and your buddy will too. :icon_thumleft:

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot GoodGuy. Nice to meet a fellow Hoosier with similar interests.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a great deal on a demo model gpz 7000 with a factory warranty from Kieth at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors in Pennsylvania I couldn’t pass up. I’ve bought my last 3 detectors from him and he’s always given me exceptional service and very competitive pricing.

I can’t wait to get to Arizona to try out my gold machines. Now I just need to decide which clubs to join.

Any opinions on AAGP claims?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a great deal on a demo model gpz 7000 with a factory warranty from Kieth at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors in Pennsylvania I couldn’t pass up. I’ve bought my last 3 detectors from him and he’s always given me exceptional service and very competitive pricing.

I can’t wait to get to Arizona to try out my gold machines. Now I just need to decide which clubs to join.

Wow! GPZ 7000!!! That has to be the best detector ever made! I'm so jealous.

I just joined another club last week and cant wait to explore their claims. Gold Searchers of Southern Nevada (GSSN) with claims in Nevada and 11 claims in northern Arizona, 8 of them (160 acres) on their own private property.

Going to be 70 degrees this Saturday and Sunday so I'm planning on getting there early and spending the weekend.
Wish I had a GPZ 7000 to take with. :tongue3:

GG~

Last edited:

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW! And I thought the EQ800 was expensive.
Shouldn't take too long to pay for itself?
Only about 400 grams or so?
Best of luck! I wish I could afford to move to a place like that.
I am also into astronomy, so it would definitely be a win win!

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really wanted to bring my astrophotography equipment, but after packing everything I needed for my trip into the truck for prospecting and camping, I ran out of room. Unfortunately my telescope and imaging equipment take up a lot of space. It’s a hobby that encourages the collection of vast amounts of add-ons, accessories, gee-gaws, and doodads.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
beware of the snakes ! my first encounter i was walking along and this snake came up on me from behind i must have jumped about 6 feet in the air it seemed to be about 8 feet long and before i knew it. it was gone down a hole. dont know exactly what it was ? do they have blue racers in that area ? i think maybe he was more afraid of me ? which was a good thing. i dont like surprises like that. good thing i never had any encounters with rattlers or scorpions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread