Which backpack for nugget shooting in desert

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like camel water bags or the like....need a drink just bite and suck on the mouthpiece. They can be rigged to carry in any backpack not just the same named packs. I usually carry about a gallon of water but some of that is in liter bottle(s) to replenish the bag if needed. Depending on how hot it is a gallon should last a couple of hours or more.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this one. It was cheap!
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sog-tactical-backpack-odi-green/6000195933720

I don’t detect in Arizona, but heat is heat.
I try and have two days worth of supplies in the pack, and a weeks worth in the truck.
Plan on having to change a tire...fix a flat...air down/air up...shovel out.

I had to unexpectedly spend a night up on a 6500 foot mountain peak once.
The couple things I didn’t have was a bivy sack (could have cost me my life).
Some contractor size trash bags, a manual compass/altimeter/map, and a good long lasting led headlamp with extra batteries.

One thing that came in very handy was a folding limb saw.
It was actually more useful for building a shelter than I would have imagined.

There was 4” of frost in the morning and even with a large bon fire, I alternated between being burned on one side and frozen on the other. It was a very long night. All I had was a light weight parka.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at packs...I see a lot of “tactical” bug out style bags that look pretty good.
Maybe I need to upgrade ;)

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
You should first determine the equipment needed for your field trip. Once you have determined that, then you search for the pack best suited for that task. I still have several packs. Each was used several times up to stroke month several years ago. Just a few are used now. Be the trip a few hours, or several days, the equipment needed determines the pack. If you choose the pack first, you will likely be out of luck in many ways when you get to your worksite in the field.

Time for more coffee.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should first determine the equipment needed for your field trip. Once you have determined that, then you search for the pack best suited for that task. I still have several packs. Each was used several times up to stroke month several years ago. Just a few are used now. Be the trip a few hours, or several days, the equipment needed determines the pack. If you choose the pack first, you will likely be out of luck in many ways when you get to your worksite in the field.

Time for more coffee.

You never know when a couple hours will turn into a day or more.
I use the same pack every trip out except back packing. I might throw in a little more clothing in the winter.

I would like to have several packs already set up different situations...just too much for me. Desert is a little more challenging because you may have to plan for heat and freezing temps.

I know one thing for sure..we now have MUCH better equipment than our grandparents...no excuses.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
It’s not really a matter of having several packs set up and ready to go. I never had more than five or six at my worst. It is more a matter of anticipating needs and potential problems. For example, a field medical kit always goes, as do fire starters, water filters and a folding saw. Distance from truck is a very big item. Driving right up to the work area means carrying less that if I am to hike two or three miles in the Mojave in summer.

Preparation is the key. A pack system that can carry what I believe I might need is just one step.

Limitations, regardless of type, are annoying. Find the best you can afford for what you need. A carry vest might be as important as your pack, giving you more versatility, and the ability to spread your load better.

Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not really a matter of having several packs set up and ready to go. I never had more than five or six at my worst. It is more a matter of anticipating needs and potential problems. For example, a field medical kit always goes, as do fire starters, water filters and a folding saw. Distance from truck is a very big item. Driving right up to the work area means carrying less that if I am to hike two or three miles in the Mojave in summer.

Preparation is the key. A pack system that can carry what I believe I might need is just one step.

Limitations, regardless of type, are annoying. Find the best you can afford for what you need. A carry vest might be as important as your pack, giving you more versatility, and the ability to spread your load better.

Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.

Share some more? I value experience over bravado.
Did you hike in the desert?

Last edited:

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many of us here sometimes get 30-40+ miles from a paved road. My brother and I in Northern Nevada are well-versed in tire repair days away from help.

Everyone in the wilderness needs the 10 essentials. Most have already been discussed:

Navigation. Topographic map and assorted maps in waterproof container plus a magnetic compass, optional altimeter or GPS receiver.
Sun protection. Sunglasses, sunscreen for lips and skin, hat, clothing for sun protection.
Insulation. Jacket, hat, gloves, rain shell, and thermal underwear.
Illumination. Headlamp, flashlight, batteries. LED bulb is preferred to extend battery life.
First-aid supplies, plus insect repellent.
Fire. Butane lighter, matches in waterproof container.
Repair kit and tools. Knives, multi-tool, scissors, pliers, screwdriver, trowel/shovel, duct tape, cable ties.
Nutrition. Add extra food for one additional day (for emergency). Dry food is preferred to save weight and usually needs water.
Hydration. Add extra 2 liters of water for one additional day (for emergency).
Emergency shelter. Tarp, bivouac sack, space blanket, plastic tube tent, jumbo trash bags, insulated sleeping pad.[4]

I will add a BlackJack professional tire plug kit and (2) air pumps. An extra spare tire. A quality jack. A PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) that when activated contacts a satellite and sends in the cavalry to your exact location.

Chuck

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like camel water bags or the like....need a drink just bite and suck on the mouthpiece. They can be rigged to carry in any backpack not just the same named packs. I usually carry about a gallon of water but some of that is in liter bottle(s) to replenish the bag if needed. Depending on how hot it is a gallon should last a couple of hours or more.

Or a light beer

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=1]Camelbak Cloud Walker 18[/h]

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody familiar with a custom fabricator? I know when it comes to vests, you can get them to your exact specifications and built hell for stout if that’s what your after...high end zippers.
.accessories, etc.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the last part in particular, the personal locator beacon. Besides using the MRDS as an approximate road map, most of my recon work will be done using a trike PPG(Power Para Glider) in remote areas. Easy to land and take off without the hassles of a fixed wing. Never thought of using a PLB. Thanks, this may turn out to be a lifesaver if I ever it. I'll be aero-prospecting in either Nevada or Arizona this year.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife got me a pack from Big 5. made by "Samuri Tactical" So, far its better than the last two packs I've destroyed.

It has a sleeve for water bladder. Sturdy straps good pockets.

Silver & Gold

Aug 29, 2019
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM24K, Fisher GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love the 5.11® Rush 72™ Backpack at Cabelas. Everything fits perfectly inside with room to spare. Super sluice and classifier fit easily into back. B&D shovel on one side, water bottle on the other, even has room for a water bladder. Heavy duty and sturdy construction.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just bought a Molle frame for my old Alice pack. Best setup I've ever hauled. But, I haul a lot of stuff with me. I've used this Alice pack for 35 years, or more. The old Jansport frame got run over, but I needed something better anyway. This Molle frame is the nuts!
Jim

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a "freeby" Minelab pack I got from the 2020 gold show. The pack before that was a military style. As long as it hauls comfortably all my tools, water bottles, and small lunch, I'm happy with just about anything.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've used a variety over the years, but the main thing is comfort and compatibility. First, as others have stated, you'll need to decide exactly what you'll need to pack, including water. The amount of gear you're planning on taking will also decide the size of the backpack you'll need. However, when it comes to comfort, price is not a key determining factor. If you have a pack that doesn't fit well, especially if you're in for a long hike, a cheap pack is never worth its price. So, get somewhere where you can try on a variety of styles (after knowing your bulk packing needs) to see what fits and adjusts properly, nothing better than finding the right fit before you go or knowing the bulk need before you go.

All the best,

Lanny

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The thing I like about the Molle pack frame is the adjustability. I have mine fitting like a second skin....really snug, so it doesn't slip to one side or the other causing a loss of balance at a critical moment. I've spent my life in the outdoors and have never before owned a pack frame that fit like this. And, you can fasten any pack you like to the frame.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread