First couple practice sessions with new gpx 5000

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I haven't been out in a long time. I moved last year to a new area and I need to get out and find some good ground here in southern Oregon. I recently pulled the trigger on a new gpx 5000. I didn't realize how good of a deal you can get by just calling the dealer. I didn't pay near what the current advertised price is anywhere on the web. And yes I bought from an authorized minelab dealer. Anyhow I've been able to practice with it on my property a couple time so far and I think I'm learning the machine a little, no gold, I don't know if there is any right here but I did find some targets. I'm surprised it found some of the really small stuff. I used the 10"x 5" mono Joey in fine gold timing

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_182741015.jpg
    IMG_20200126_182741015.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I haven't been out in a long time. I moved last year to a new area and I need to get out and find some good ground here in southern Oregon. I recently pulled the trigger on a new gpx 5000. I didn't realize how good of a deal you can get by just calling the dealer. I didn't pay near what the current advertised price is anywhere on the web. And yes I bought from an authorized minelab dealer. Anyhow I've been able to practice with it on my property a couple time so far and I think I'm learning the machine a little, no gold, I don't know if there is any right here but I did find some targets. I'm surprised it found some of the really small stuff. I used the 10"x 5" mono Joey in fine gold timing

Looks like you're doing the right things. Take it out lots (try to get 200 hours on the machine just to learn how it signals various targets to you).

It's a great machine that's helped many, many people find lots of gold and artifacts.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on your new unit! No doubt the gold is out there waiting for you. Ive never seen so much shrapnel in one pan. I had to look hard at them. keep us posted. Im going out tomorrow. Hoping for some deep signals.

OP
OP
minerjosh

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your new unit! No doubt the gold is out there waiting for you. Ive never seen so much shrapnel in one pan. I had to look hard at them. keep us posted. Im going out tomorrow. Hoping for some deep signals.
Thanks i definitely have plenty of lead targets in the ground here! It's good practice. This pi machine is quite different then the vlf ones I'm used to. I'm going to try the 15x12 mono coil for a couple hours today. I will play around with the different timings and hopefully learn a little bit more. Good luck today!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The GPX 5000 is an excellent machine. I owned one before the stroke, and found it the best gold machine I had used to that time. Understanding what the machine is telling you with the differences in tone quality will be the biggest challenge, especially if you have hearing problems similar to mine. During the period I owned one, I never did learn to distinguish lead from gold. Were I to own one today, I believe I would choose the GPZ 7000, with the GPX 4500 as a backup.

Best to you.

Time for more coffee.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks i definitely have plenty of lead targets in the ground here! It's good practice. This pi machine is quite different then the vlf ones I'm used to. I'm going to try the 15x12 mono coil for a couple hours today. I will play around with the different timings and hopefully learn a little bit more. Good luck today!

ive heard great things about the 15x12 coil. I managed 2 pieces today. First location was a bust, so I drove north a ways and hit a trail ive never been down, but i knew the area pretty well. found a spot that looked good. there was plenty of previous detecting signs, so I wanted to see what they missed. there was some very hot ground right up against more mild ground. It was difficult keeping it ground balanced. but I managed to find quite a few signals they missed.

OP
OP
minerjosh

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive heard great things about the 15x12 coil. I managed 2 pieces today. First location was a bust, so I drove north a ways and hit a trail ive never been down, but i knew the area pretty well. found a spot that looked good. there was plenty of previous detecting signs, so I wanted to see what they missed. there was some very hot ground right up against more mild ground. It was difficult keeping it ground balanced. but I managed to find quite a few signals they missed.

Sweet you got a couple! I tried the 15x12 out and found some really small lead fragments and bbs and a couple tiny boot tracks with it too. I like how I can use the edge of the coil to pinpoint. It seems to be pretty darn sensitive for it's size.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet you got a couple! I tried the 15x12 out and found some really small lead fragments and bbs and a couple tiny boot tracks with it too. I like how I can use the edge of the coil to pinpoint. It seems to be pretty darn sensitive for it's size.
that is my only gripe with the coiltek mono elite. the edge sensitivity is non existent. so finding targets is a pain. I saw a youtube video with the 15x12 and it outperformed the new coils on larger deep targets. it was a very noticeable difference

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread