Preferred prospecting pick handle length?

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to buy a new pick for nugget shooting in Arizona. I have the 18 inch handle on my Apex Badger pick, but I just purchased a GPZ 7000 for Arizona and due to the depth that machine can detect nuggets I need a longer pick handle so I’m not on my knees as much. I’m on the fence between a 36 inch and a 30 inch Apex Talon. I’m 6 ft tall.

What do you use?

Also, I’d love to hear where you more experienced nugget shooters prefer to keep your pick while detecting. Belt? Backpack? Hand?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need to buy a new pick for nugget shooting in Arizona. I have the 18 inch handle on my Apex Badger pick, but I just purchased a GPZ 7000 for Arizona and due to the depth that machine can detect nuggets I need a longer pick handle so I’m not on my knees as much. I’m on the fence between a 36 inch and a 30 inch Apex Talon. I’m 6 ft tall.

What do you use?

Also, I’d love to hear where you more experienced nugget shooters prefer to keep your pick while detecting. Belt? Backpack? Hand?

with that 7000 you'll want a long handle to dig deeper, wider holes.....you can always cut down the 36" if you don't like it...jmo

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first electronic prospecting specific pick...triangular shaped head, presumably made out of AR500 plate steel, super magnet on the tip.

It has an 18” long fiberglass handle and is wrapped in some sort of rubber where you grip it. It’s very similar to the Keene rebranded picks, but has no brand name on it. I’m assuming because of that no warranty. It was not cheap.

I like the head style and digging ability...almost wanted a very well built pick with a wooden handle..preferably a little longer. I’m not a huge fan of rubber grips..they always fail.

Digging while bent over...not something my back likes. I’m always switching to kneeling for every target.

I’d suggest watching some Australian detecting videos and see what picks they are using. They have been digging craters for many years.

You’ll want something with a wide spade on one end so as to make back filling your holes easier.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m used to using an Eastwing rock hammer...this new pick digs well but feels terribly unbalanced.

I think it’s this 16” but the magnet is flush mounted. I wouldn’t recommend it. I think there are probably better balanced tools out there.

1D931436-5498-4EE1-8A62-E7113D06F08B.jpeg

Last edited:

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got a Bunk's pick last year with a 34" handle and love it. Due to it's length I carry it, to long for the belt loop and to tell the truth the head design makes me want to keep control of it in case I slip and fall.

Mike Gibson

Jun 7, 2014
San Diego, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quit wasting your time with questions and get a Bunks Hermit Pick with a 34" inch handle (PI machine) or a Bunks Burro pick with a 16"-18" inch handle (vlf machine). You will not regret it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bunk's Hermit Pick!:headbang:

Attachments

• HermitPicks.jpg
    HermitPicks.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 87

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can report that the pick pictured in my post above has already failed.
The rubber handle has come off. They didn't even use any glue!

So I'll glue it with some contact cement and see how long it holds up.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have that 16" keene pick I really like it, the rubber handle has been holding up I have had it 4-5 years maybe. My mining buddy kept stealing it.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that 16" keene pick I really like it, the rubber handle has been holding up I have had it 4-5 years maybe. My mining buddy kept stealing it.

This one didn't have the Keene brand name on it.
It was constructed slightly different in the way the magnet mounts.
But I think it's the same manufacturer. It got rained on in my truck..froze and thawed a few times. Maybe the glue they used was water soluble.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mine doesn't have a label either bought it from a Whites distributor, I've used the hell out of it. I also have a 36" Apex pick, I don't know the model it was a birthday gift from mom. It digs well, better than a normal pick, mostly use it for general digging, the small one is my go to detector pick.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Quit wasting your time with questions and get a Bunks Hermit Pick with a 34" inch handle (PI machine) or a Bunks Burro pick with a 16"-18" inch handle (vlf machine). You will not regret it.

the handle is a wooden dowel, the type used for a cloths hanger. It is a softwood , most likely pine. two wood screws fasten the head to the handle. the spade side is welded to the pick. It is light weight. I used it for 2 seasons before the spade broke off at the welds. I never was hard on it, i knew that was a leak link. I wish someone would make a 2 lb with a long handle.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the handle is a wooden dowel, the type used for a cloths hanger. It is a softwood , most likely pine. two wood screws fasten the head to the handle. the spade side is welded to the pick. It is light weight. I used it for 2 seasons before the spade broke off at the welds. I never was hard on it, i knew that was a leak link. I wish someone would make a 2 lb with a long handle.

Have you tried an Apex? I believe mine is the 18"(?) and at first I didn't care for it because it's a little heavy....now that I'm used to the weight I find the weight is helpful and it's a real stout, strong pick....jmo as I haven't used any others other than an Estwing rock hammer......

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tried an Apex? I believe mine is the 18"(?) and at first I didn't care for it because it's a little heavy....now that I'm used to the weight I find the weight is helpful and it's a real stout, strong pick....jmo as I haven't used any others other than an Estwing rock hammer......

i have one of similar quality. It is too heavy though. I dont like it. I like the 2lb version, but wish they offered it in a handle longer than 18".

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Estwing geo-paleo pick is a great pick, durable, and it really tears into the material. Not sure how long the handle is, but I've dug some deep holes with it.

I like a pick with a long handle (3 ft.) if I know I'm going to be digging deep, and a much shorter handle with a lighter pick head if I'm working shallow to bedrock gold; so, the length and weight depends on the type of digging I know I'll be doing.

All the best,

Lanny

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
The Estwing geo-paleo pick is a great pick, durable, and it really tears into the material. Not sure how long the handle is, but I've dug some deep holes with it.

I like a pick with a long handle (3 ft.) if I know I'm going to be digging deep, and a much shorter handle with a lighter pick head if I'm working shallow to bedrock gold; so, the length and weight depends on the type of digging I know I'll be doing.

All the best,

Lanny

a light pick and a crevicing tool are my tools for the bedrock hunting, the heavy pick fraught with magnets is what I carry when hunting deeper ground

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread