Carrying firearm while nugget shooting In Arizona?

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m moving to Arizona and had planned on carrying my revolver while nugget shooting. Iā€™ve seen others do this on YouTube, but Iā€™m curious if the firearms ever affect the detectors? Would it be smarter to just keep it nearby to avoid interference with the detector? For those that do carry while detecting, do you find carrying on the hip or in a shoulder rig more comfortable?

Lastly, Iā€™ll be carrying a Smith & Wesson 686 Performance Center 357 mag and I need a durable, comfortable, holster that will protect the weapon from getting banged up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Upvote 0

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not true - there are Wolverines in California. Who was it that said "the last one died"?

I was lucky enough to get a nice look at a Wolverine 4-5 years ago near the top of the state.
I'm 100% confident in the identification. The encounter is burned into my memory.
Most memorable were the long sharp claws and the stocky muscular frame. I mistook it for a small bear at first.
Luckily it hung around long enough to get a good look. I can tell you it looked all business.
It was not something I'd fearful of unless I encountered it in close quarters in some weird situation.

Couple years ago I might have seen another one, but it was just a glimpse through the trees and I'm not certain.

There are places animals can easily hide...just consider how hard it is to find a big old buck during hunting season.
They simply disappear and they are really common animals in the forest.

i read that the one near tahoe was suspected to be the last one, and with a 7 year life span... it hasnt been seen in awhile.

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i read that the one near tahoe was suspected to be the last one, and with a 7 year life span... it hasnt been seen in awhile. Then again, they say road runners dont live in northern california..

I've seen roadrunners in N. Cal back in '70 (?)ā€¦. story went that a guy moved up from the southwest, bought a ranch, scared of snakes and imported some RR's and they took well to the country....(???) As far as the gulo goes...been chasing him since 2010 and got 4 on cam so far and haven't got one for 5 yrs now? Hard animal to cross paths with, so few and far in between even in Montana as we are also at extreme lower end of their range....

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen roadrunners in N. Cal back in '70 (?)ā€¦. story went that a guy moved up from the southwest, bought a ranch, scared of snakes and imported some RR's and they took well to the country....(???) As far as the gulo goes...been chasing him since 2010 and got 4 on cam so far and haven't got one for 5 yrs now? Hard animal to cross paths with, so few and far in between even in Montana as we are also at extreme lower end of their range....

Iā€™ve also encountered a single roadrunner at the top of California.
Blows your mind away when you see an animal you KNOW you have never seen before.

Per the Wolverine, Iā€™ve read that they will leave entire drainages if there is human activity..that they really do not like humans. Like you said...we are at the very southern tip of their range.

My dad also saw a wolf in the 1960ā€™s in Northern California when he was hunting.

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iā€™ve also encountered a single roadrunner at the top of California.
Blows your mind away when you see an animal you KNOW you have never seen before.

Per the Wolverine, Iā€™ve read that they will leave entire drainages if there is human activity..that they really do not like humans.

They are like any other predator and prefer to not be around people but they won't just pull up stakes because a few people show up now and then? There's some really good info on gulo out there and just as much bad info... You have to be real careful and read between the lines on some of the better, more recent info, because the tree hugger, bunny hugger, rock licker type groups are usually the groups that fund these "studies" so there's usually an underlying theme(s) they sprinkle in their reports/studies. Be aware of these themes which are climate change and inter breeding because of low #'s. Then they tend to want to lock up more area for "corridor areas" so gulo can spread genes between different "pockets" of gulo. This is usually the common theme. Granted females need deep snow, usually north facing high country, to safely have their pups so snow is important and if we are warming up my guess is gulo will naturally retreat further north over time? Too much human encroachment, lack of food and lack of deep snow in spring will have a negative effect on them in time...until then he'll be fine in the areas that give gulo what they need? Keep in mind that the animal never has had huge #'s, especially in the southern end of their normal range (U.S.)....that's by natures design.

Sorry for the hijack...got 2-2.5 months before I can get out and I'm bored stiff waiting to get out on the yellow stuff.....

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
the wolves are back.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the wolves are back.

Different breed of wolves from what Iā€™ve read.

The sad part is, a lot of money has been spent reintroducing elk to the area and they have not fully recovered yet.
Having another predator (that specifically follows the herds) is not going to help things at this point in time.

Iā€™ve long predicted that sometime soon, grizzly bears will magically appear with tracking collars on.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR-54, A 4 year old grey wolf, which was tracked by radio collar traveling over 8000 miles throughout Northern California, was found dead a few days ago. DFW does not yet say the cause of death.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashland, Oregon has a world renown forensic center for animals...Iā€™m sure thatā€™s where it went.

I thought I heard something about it being found dead in the middle of a road.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m in Arizona and have spent most of the last week helping my buddy move his stuff into his new home and get settled. I have found time to go out nugget shooting a couple of times on the Little San Domingo wash (thanks to permission from Dave Mahoney at the AAP). Havenā€™t found any color yet, but Iā€™m still new to this and using unfamiliar equipment. I have discovered that the metal eyelets in my boots play hell with my GPZ. Iā€™m gonna have to invest in some boots with zero metal.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
OR-54, A 4 year old grey wolf, which was tracked by radio collar traveling over 8000 miles throughout Northern California, was found dead a few days ago. DFW does not yet say the cause of death.

There have been rumors of fast moving collars /wearers catching rides elsewhere......

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been rumors of fast moving collars /wearers catching rides elsewhere......

Thatā€™s a VERY risky endeavor. Lots of covert surveillance being performed 24/7 around the packs in Northern California. Cameras installed along the roads.

Not everywhere, but in areas where there are collared wolves.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thatā€™s a VERY risky endeavor. Lots of covert surveillance being performed 24/7 around the packs in Northern California. Cameras installed along the roads.

Not everywhere, but in areas where there are collared wolves.

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has some contention among hunters and residents over reintroduction.
Stories abound.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has some contention among hunters and residents over reintroduction.
Stories abound.

Here there was no public input prior to reintroduction despite it being contrary to historical public policy. For 100 years, public funds were spent eradicating them. My options are not galvanized either way, but I do expect to be able to participate in these decisions.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here there was no public input prior to reintroduction despite it being contrary to historical public policy. For 100 years, public funds were spent eradicating them. My options are not galvanized either way, but I do expect to be able to participate in these decisions.

I don't recall any support in Michigan. Seemed a Federal desire that allowed it.
With Federal land available ....It came to pass.
Now control is the argument.
A temporary season was established ,then no more followed.

Season was during deer season which did not help matters.
But it's trapping that would have the greater effect anyways.

Heck , I don't care for coyotes. More so during fawning time. Wolves would not help as they pull down adult cervids.. Though they would bother the yotes.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m in Arizona and have spent most of the last week helping my buddy move his stuff into his new home and get settled. I have found time to go out nugget shooting a couple of times on the Little San Domingo wash (thanks to permission from Dave Mahoney at the AAP). Havenā€™t found any color yet, but Iā€™m still new to this and using unfamiliar equipment. I have discovered that the metal eyelets in my boots play hell with my GPZ. Iā€™m gonna have to invest in some boots with zero metal.

Take your pinpointer with you, it's getting hard to find a good pair of boots with no steel shank.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My friend Whitey shot and killed the last of the original batch of introduced Mexican wolves.

Dam thing was trying for a free steak from one of his steers. He buried the wolf with the collar on.

Nobody asked Whitey or any of the other Gila land owners whether they were OK with the introduction of foreign wolves. Those land owners just shot them when they found them stalking or eating their livestock. Predation problem solved.

They continue to try to reintroduce Mexican wolves to the southwest. The Gila wilderness is no longer considered a viable environment for wolf reintroduction.

I realize in some areas of the country folks would like to see four legged predators reintroduced. I'm all good with that, these animals are an important part of our history. That's why I have lobbied for years for the reintroduction of wild Grizzly bears to urban Sacramento and legal protection for rats in developed areas of California. I'm pretty sure one or the other is on the State flag.

The urban environment is the biggest threat to wildlife. Most of the endangered and threatened species are failing due primarily to urban incursion.

There is a place and time for everything. If wolves can coexist with human populations let them roam the streets. They are amazing animals. I hope someday they can become a part of the wild environment again. I certainly wouldn't advocate killing them without cause.

Nearly 8,800 miles in two years? That's a surprising record. A female who couldn't find a mate near her home territory? Improbable but it's an interesting theory.

Heavy Pans

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend Whitey shot and killed the last of the original batch of introduced Mexican wolves.

Dam thing was trying for a free steak from one of his steers. He buried the wolf with the collar on.

Nobody asked Whitey or any of the other Gila land owners whether they were OK with the introduction of foreign wolves. Those land owners just shot them when they found them stalking or eating their livestock. Predation problem solved.

They continue to try to reintroduce Mexican wolves to the southwest. The Gila wilderness is no longer considered a viable environment for wolf reintroduction.

I realize in some areas of the country folks would like to see four legged predators reintroduced. I'm all good with that, these animals are an important part of our history. That's why I have lobbied for years for the reintroduction of wild Grizzly bears to urban Sacramento and legal protection for rats in developed areas of California. I'm pretty sure one or the other is on the State flag.

The urban environment is the biggest threat to wildlife. Most of the endangered and threatened species are failing due primarily to urban incursion.

There is a place and time for everything. If wolves can coexist with human populations let them roam the streets. They are amazing animals. I hope someday they can become a part of the wild environment again. I certainly wouldn't advocate killing them without cause.

Nearly 8,800 miles in two years? That's a surprising record. A female who couldn't find a mate near her home territory? Improbable but it's an interesting theory.

Heavy Pans

There is a lot to a predator finding a niche among human sprawl/footprint.

Here in the midwest and East the coyote is alleged to have domestic canine D.N.A. and Eastern wolf. (Timberwolf elsewhere probably).
They are bigger than out West.
And more importantly , they do alright in suburbs if need be.
Small game , deer, house pets (roadkills too) and more in a versatile diet. The yotes have quickly evolved (quick as in evolutionary) to fill the wolf void , but in relation to human environs as a compliment.
Having domestic D.N.A. related to ancient D.N.A. might as suggested elsewhere be key to that sudden evolution/adaptation.

Cougars sampled here are alleged to be strains from out West. They had to come from somewhere while avoiding conflict.
If they are outliers in regards to dispersal ,or have a glitched compass ;who knows.

We do have proponents of putting wolves in the cities here that seem to think they are fine in someone else's backyard.
Like that's ever going to happen...

I'm no canine enemy . Have had wolf crosses in the house and yard years ago. But there is reason to why they were reduced with prejudice ,beyond the reason of scary tales.
My biggest contention is competition for game. Secondary is my perspective of more humane kills. Then comes my own smaller breed canine pack.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coyotes have always coexisted with local human populations. Wolves never have. Very different animals.

Coyotes naturally compliment human agriculture and hunting. Wolves are in direct competition with humans and are not tolerant to resource sharing with humans. Humans are potential prey to wolves.

I seriously doubt there are any natural coyote/dog genetics that have survived past the first generation. Coyotes and dogs can interbreed but they are different enough that they can't realistically physically support a true crossbred population.

Healthy Coyotes don't attack humans. They really aren't a threat to humans or our food supply. Coyotes are surprisingly smart and incredible survivors. :thumbsup:

That's just a few of the reasons we eliminate Wolves before we can peaceably occupy an area but the Coyotes are still with us.

The biggest danger from predators in the U.S. are feral dog packs. The biggest danger to human life from native animals are bees. A distant second is auto collisions with deer. Wolves aren't even on the danger radar anymore but they will be if we decide to try to live with them.

Heavy Pans

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
08127978-3532-4964-BF9D-7BC2087AA2BA.jpeg

The true last grizzly bear in California, formerly known as ā€œBear Republicā€. Plated in gold and watched over by hidden Native Americans armed with bow and arrow.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve come to understand that the grizzlies are like any other animal, they just want to exist in their habitat.
However, I also think they are capable of holding a grudge and going on extended rampages.

Iā€™ve got a lead on an interesting detecting trip related to one of the last grizzly bears in this area, which had a very large bounty on its head. Just looking for a cartridge case to substantiate the story.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread