Carrying firearm while nugget shooting In Arizona?

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m moving to Arizona and had planned on carrying my revolver while nugget shooting. I’ve seen others do this on YouTube, but I’m curious if the firearms ever affect the detectors? Would it be smarter to just keep it nearby to avoid interference with the detector? For those that do carry while detecting, do you find carrying on the hip or in a shoulder rig more comfortable?

Lastly, I’ll be carrying a Smith & Wesson 686 Performance Center 357 mag and I need a durable, comfortable, holster that will protect the weapon from getting banged up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Upvote 0

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
OR-54, A 4 year old grey wolf, which was tracked by radio collar traveling over 8000 miles throughout Northern California, was found dead a few days ago. DFW does not yet say the cause of death.

there has been 3 wolves killed in the last 6 months in northern california. rumor is the dogs are chipped and the chip can capture information from a cell phone if it is close enough to the animal. I know 2 people are being prosecuted. I have not heard what has come of the one youre talking about. I second the motion to reintroduce the grizzly bear into east bay regional park, golden gate park, grizzly island, and so on. It is their historical domain afterall.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve come to understand that the grizzlies are like any other animal, they just want to exist in their habitat.
However, I also think they are capable of holding a grudge and going on extended rampages.

I’ve got a lead on an interesting detecting trip related to one of the last grizzly bears in this area, which had a very large bounty on its head. Just looking for a cartridge case to substantiate the story.

25/20. the bear had dozens of bullets in it. remnants of 2 people in its stomach. a boy killed it. saved his grandpa's life...... slough foot i believe was the nick name that was given. I verified the story.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I really care what's out there, I'm just wary of statements that certain animals do not exist in AZ. "life will find a way"

4 months ago according to US Fish and Wildlife: Nov 1, 2019 - Among the IFT's findings: 131 wolves are nearly evenly distributed – 64 wolves in Arizona and 67 in New Mexico. Last year, the team documented 117 wolves. This year's total represents a 12 percent increase in the Wolf population. :dontknow:

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25/20. the bear had dozens of bullets in it. remnants of 2 people in its stomach. a boy killed it. saved his grandpa's life...... slough foot i believe was the nick name that was given. I verified the story.

This is a different bear. There are many folk lore stories about famous grizzly bears with a mangled foot. This one supposedly had a bounty on its head equivalent to over $200,000 in today’s money. It would supposedly kill farm animals for the fun of it, not eating the animals.

Every huge Grizzly was named “Club Foot” or “Reelfoot”.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not that I really care what's out there, I'm just wary of statements that certain animals do not exist in AZ. "life will find a way"

4 months ago according to US Fish and Wildlife: Nov 1, 2019 - Among the IFT's findings: 131 wolves are nearly evenly distributed – 64 wolves in Arizona and 67 in New Mexico. Last year, the team documented 117 wolves. This year's total represents a 12 percent increase in the Wolf population. :dontknow:

All true but not the whole story or the real count of wolves. Packs living on tribal lands are not included in the Mexican wolf reports due to confidentiality agreements.

The report is brief and doesn't indicate whether the increase in population is due to successful breeding or the continuing replenishment of pack numbers by newly added introduced wolves.

120 of those 131 wolves were moved to different locations by FWS. "Wild" is a relative term when discussing the federal Mexican Wolf efforts in the Southwest.

In 2016, the Fish and Wildlife Service decided to place newborn pups from captive litters into the dens of wild families instead of releasing captive adult wolves or packs.
Over the next four years, the wolf recovery team has placed 30 pups. Five out of 18 pups have survived and two of them to adulthood, which amounts to a 11.1% survival rate.

21 wolves were killed in 2018 and we still don't have a count for 2019.

The leading cause of death in wolves in truly wild populations is not humans, habitat or old age - it's wolf attacks. They kill their own at a greater rate than any other cause.

There is very little support for the current FWS Mexican wolf reintroduction program in the general population or in scientists involved in species protection and reintroduction. This is controversial stuff across the spectrum. New Mexico State has been opposed to the plan since the first wolves in 1998 and only this last fall agreed to some cooperation with FWS.

Heavy Pans

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks

I've had a CCW for years, yet I've never carried.

Once I "achieved" my CCW, reality spoke very loudly to me = I'd kill someone?

Ya gotta think about the reality of that. Vietnam and Cambodian vet - I did kill several. I WILL NEVER get over that, I see it and remember it to this day. Taking a life really does suck. Till the day I die = I pray for my soul

Dear DeepseakerADS, You, your loved ones that have problems and your Comrades are in my prayers every night. I thank you for your service to America!
Be Well!
Tom

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Callred 1975, I've lived in Arizona twice both times I did a lot of hiking and exploring and shooting firearms. I've noticed scorpions, rattlesnakes and
poisonous lizards both times. Most of the time a four to five foot long hiking staff will take care of any of the above either to move them out of the
way or to smash them. Then again there were times in my hiking where larger things became a problem so for many years I've carried a magnum
revolver in a Nylon Shoulder holster with a snap closure which has served me well. Note, my first shoulder holster was a Bianchi (sp?) leather
spring clip type (think dirty Harry style) and it dropped my cherished 44 magnum Super Blackhawk into boulders so Do Not get a holster like that.

The shoulder holster is out of the way unlike a belt carried holster. The snap's of the Nylon Uncle Mikes holster need to be maintained! This would
mean oiling them from time to time, at the beginning of each season should do, so that it will function easily so the nylon strap does not get pulled
apart.

Your cherished 686, you might want to change out the wooden grips, so they do not become scratched or cracked, for some pebbled rubber grips.
A flap over nylon holster, if there is one, would add more protection but will be cumbersome in a quick draw situation.

I've found that one or two snake loads are useful as the first ammunition to be used as firing a solid nosed bullet into the ground can produce
some unwanted after effects! Also, bird shot requires less aiming when a rattlesnake needs to be put out of my misery. Once I decided to advance
the bird shot round ahead one notch and then fire a solid slug out of my 454 Casull, bad choice! The concussion of the solid slug shattered the
plastic portion of the bird shot round allowing the lead BB's to jam the cylinder so not second shot if one was needed! I do not think this will
happen with a 357 but you might care to test it just to be certain. Enjoy your adventures, 63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Predatory animals mixed in where humans might be comment.

I live in San Diego California (my bad), recently in the near by city of Santee a friend of mine had his dog on a leash and was taking his best
friend for a walk. Houses and apartments were all around them, city streets and business's, traffic lights, heavy traffic and such and Yet a
Coyote came up and killed his dog right next to my friend.

The indigenous California Bear's that lived in the area of what is now Half Moon Bay California (near San Francisco) used to greet the early
White new commers to the area at their front door's as they exited the tent or cabin. Finding this disturbing if not dangerous they killed
all of the bears.

The re-introduction of Wolves to Yellowstone was a test to see what happens. There was an agreement that the Wolves would start to be
culled at a specific number of breeding pairs. The contract was NOT Honored till the packs had grown way past the agreed upon number
and have now become like fleas. A government or group of people who do not honor their given word are as bad as a predator that is
allowed to get out of control, both need to be reduced in their numbers and strengths, IMHO!

Also, I've been attacked by a Feral dog pack and I was very glad I had my 454 in hand. It is not the one that is growling and
snarling at you that is likely to bite you, it is the one coming up on you quietly 180 degrees from the growling and snarling one,
it is a setup that the beasts (four legged or two legged) have established!

And, one other item. Last year, 2019, for the first time backpacking way up the North Fork of the American River country I had
a piece of equipment stolen from my camp. First time in over 50 years of backpacking in there that a human hit my camp. I've
lost plenty of equipment due to Bear Attacks but someone coming into my camp and taking my shovel, darn that is STUPID!

A person in the "out back" needs to be able to take care of their self. I carry a first aid kit to take care of wounds. I carry
a spot messenger to let people know i'm ok or not ok. I carry a weapon because bears attack my camps. As I've fired on a
dog pack (man's best friend gone bad) and I've used my revolver to scare bears out of my camp, I know what that is like but
firing at a human makes my mind revolt from the thought. Is stealing really worth the potential of a confrontation with the
owner of the property! Be prepared to defend yourself out there, be prepared mentally and actually as it seems like the wild
country is being changed by a few who do not care about the rules of conduct! Some are even changing the rules of conduct, what
use to be bad is now good and what use to be good is now bad. 63bkpkr

Norte: I learned years ago in the NFAR drainage that I needed to be able to protect myself, my .22 revolver was not going to
do it. I now own and carry a 454 Casull because it will go through 3/8" steel plate at close range, I purchased it because when
I saw the holes in the plate I knew it would stop even the largest bear in the NFAR canyon and they are big. Anything shot
with that protective device will not survive and that is a troubling thought for me. I Did Not go looking for my shovel!

Last edited:

Desertrokon

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2011
Simply Rugged Holsters

I’m moving to Arizona and had planned on carrying my revolver while nugget shooting. I’ve seen others do this on YouTube, but I’m curious if the firearms ever affect the detectors? Would it be smarter to just keep it nearby to avoid interference with the detector? For those that do carry while detecting, do you find carrying on the hip or in a shoulder rig more comfortable?

Lastly, I’ll be carrying a Smith & Wesson 686 Performance Center 357 mag and I need a durable, comfortable, holster that will protect the weapon from getting banged up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Consider at a "Simply Rugged Holsters" Sourdough Pancake holster with the Chesty Puller straps. They are located in Arizona and do list a 5" L frame.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the drop leg holsters when I'm carrying my pack. My 44 rides well down there and out of the way.

My pack is a Gregory internal frame so my belt is big I like having it in the pancake right on the chest I also carry a pack in front of me to it is smaller but way convient to get to in case of something going on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread