Carrying firearm while nugget shooting In Arizona?

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m moving to Arizona and had planned on carrying my revolver while nugget shooting. Iā€™ve seen others do this on YouTube, but Iā€™m curious if the firearms ever affect the detectors? Would it be smarter to just keep it nearby to avoid interference with the detector? For those that do carry while detecting, do you find carrying on the hip or in a shoulder rig more comfortable?

Lastly, Iā€™ll be carrying a Smith & Wesson 686 Performance Center 357 mag and I need a durable, comfortable, holster that will protect the weapon from getting banged up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Upvote 0

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely shoulder holster look into Craft Holsters I believe they have one for your model and they are all leather.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry either my Springfield XDS .45 or my Ruger 410-.45 Judge 99% of the time including when I am detecting and they never affected my detector.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dont boot carry and you should be fine, in the field I always open carry my S&W 357 Magnum on the hip cowboy style. (wont pull your pants down that way because of the separate belt) A double action revolver is faster when you need it and no worry of it jamming due to dirt.

If any wild animal or two legged varmint attacks, you dont have time to fumble.
Arizona has Coyote, Javelina, Mountain Lion/Cougar/Puma, bear, and wolf, that could attack if threatened or rabid.

Most will stay away but attacks can and do happen. (rarely)
As far as dangerous little creatures go, snakes, gila monsters, scorpions, etc. just leave them alone.

Here is my next holster for concealed carry of my 9mm for everyday, town, and big city use...........

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be satisfied with this one. Wear it cross draw and you will not even notice itā€™s there. I would suggest putting some lock tight on the screws, because they will eventually work their way loose. The strong side carry is a little high for my taste, but I always carry cross draw so it does not interfere with my digging.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/dao_8_4_1073.html

The alternative is to get a left handed holster (if your right handed) and carry behind your back.
That is also very comfortable and is easily drawn.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dont boot carry and you'll be fine, in the field I always open carry my S&W 357 Magnum on the hip cowboy style.
A double action revolver is faster when you need it and no worry of it jamming due to dirt.

If any wild animal attacks, you dont have time to fumble.
Arizona has coyote, Javelina, cougar, Wolf, and Jaguar that can attack if threatened or rabid.

As far as dangerous little creatures go, snakes, gila monsters, scorpions, etc. just leave them alone.

Here is my next holster for concealed carry of my 9mm for everyday, town, and big city use...........

Just donā€™t try and draw while your sitting down in your vehicle. I had to look up the Javelina to see what the heck that was....those are some serious teeth! Also do you really have jaguar? I thought those were limited to Florida and were endangered?

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just donā€™t try and draw while your sitting down in your vehicle. I had to look up the Javelina to see what the heck that was....those are some serious teeth! Also do you really have jaguar? I thought those were limited to Florida and were endangered?

I take it off when driving and yes Jaguar and even leopards have been spotted in Arizona according to google, so far I have not seen one in person which may or may not be a good thing since they and other dangerous cats here in AZ attack from the rear.

GG~

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would recommend craft holsters but just had problems with them and had to send the product back. Dont go with craft holsters.
It takes them months to make holsters and months more when they build it wrong. It doesnt seem like they know what they are doing. We ordered from them way back in november and are just now getting it resolved and it's almost february.
We ended up with a subpar product even after sending it back but the holster will work so we will keep it. I wont order from them again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does look nice. My only concern is the model 686 I have has some unusual characteristics that make it difficult to find a non-custom made holster that fits properly. Mine has a 5 inch barrel and a speed release thumb piece. Most 686ā€™s have either a 4 or 6 inch barrel and the speed release thumb piece is too strange looking to explain (look at a picture online). I had actually ordered a really nice holster from Craft Holsters that the sales rep said would work, but a few days later, they contacted me and said the mold they use for the 686 leather holsters wouldnā€™t match up right with what I have.

.....after reading what Johnnybravo wrote, Iā€™m glad the Craft holster didnā€™t work out.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1795453 View attachment 1795454

You can see the 1st craft holster I ordered. The barrel and front sight post hangs out the end.
The holster they returned to me doesnt even cover the trigger or trigger guard. It's like a gun fighter style and my wife is no gun fighter.
Not much consistency.

I wonder if maybe they dont have the correct molds so they just guess? The company is based somewhere in Russia or Slovakia or somewhere like that.
We tried the holster the other day and it holds and rides ok, just doesnt look very custom haha. Looks like it's for a different gun altogether.
I told my wife we will send it back if she doesnt like it but she says it's fine and feels fine.
If it were for me i would send it back but shes not as picky as I am about that stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m in agreement with you Johnny. Harder and harder to find quality products nowadays.

I always buy American when I can, but the problem is Americans arenā€™t building things any more. We import everything.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had a CCW for years, yet I've never carried.

Once I "achieved" my CCW, reality spoke very loudly to me = I'd kill someone?

Ya gotta think about the reality of that. Vietnam and Cambodian vet - I did kill several. I WILL NEVER get over that, I see it and remember it to this day. Taking a life really does suck. Till the day I die = I pray for my soul

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Galco..they made a specific holster for my dad that they didnā€™t carry. Price was same as the rest of their holsters. Itā€™s a good American company.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought craft holsters was an american company but I dont think they are haha.
It's a hassle to deal with this crap but hopefully it helps someone else out.
I also should say the other two holster were perfect so it wasnt all bad.
The leather crossdraw holster we got was very nice and fit perfectly.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a CCW for years, yet I've never carried.

Once I "achieved" my CCW, reality spoke very loudly to me = I'd kill someone?

Ya gotta think about the reality of that. Vietnam and Cambodian vet - I did kill several. I WILL NEVER get over that, I see it and remember it to this day. Taking a life really does suck. Till the day I die = I pray for my soul

Thank you for your service, I'm thankful we live in a country where you have the choice to not carry or own firearms.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This funky looking thing? I'd just take it off and replace it with a normal release. Can't be all that expensive.
Pretty much any revolver holster is going to have a strap the goes over the hammer..is it going to activate the cylinder release?

5" is an odd length. I'd want to ensure the barrel and sights were covered.
I bet you can get one made no problem.

3200B884-7A99-48D3-8E60-1F8235714405.jpeg

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any metal on your body will affect the ground balance and consequently the depth of your detector. Your metal detector works both up and down from the coil. If you don't believe your firearm affects your metal detector just air test by waving your gun 3 foot above the coil. If you don't get a signal you are unlikely to get gold with your settings. :laughing7:

I do sometimes carry when prospecting. On those occasions I've put my holster to the back to minimize signal. The only reason I carry is for two legged varmits. Otherwise the dangers that you can encounter here are unlikely to be solved with a gun.

There are no wild wolves in Arizona. All the Arizona wolves were introduced from captivity recently. Most die shortly afterwards. There are two known wolf attacks in Arizona, the most recent one was in 1875.

There are no Leopards in the western hemisphere. They are native to Africa and India.

There are no Jaguars living in Arizona. More than 10 years ago there was a lone male jaguar living just north of the Mexican border in Arizona but fish and game killed that one. The only known Jaguar attack was in a zoo - the victim apologized.

There are no deaths from Javelina or Coyotes in the history of Arizona. Attacks are so rare as to be anecdotal.

There are three deaths attributed to bear attacks in Arizona in the last 100+ years. Two of those were attacks by pet bears.

Eight people have died from snake bite in Arizona in the last 100 years. Most people that are bitten by rattlesnakes have been drinking and are bit on the hand or face - don't play with the rattlesnakes and you will be fine.

By far the leading causes of death by animals in Arizona are from domestic dog attacks and bees.

Virtually all of the deaths from nature in Arizona are from dehydration, heat exposure and falls. Take plenty of water and drink it. Have a way to get out of the sun when it heats up. Use a GPS so you can find your vehicle. Take spare tires, tools, fluids and parts when driving off road. Let people that care know exactly where you are going and when you will return. Walk carefully and don't get yourself into a situation where you can fall or be trapped or injured by falling rock.

Carry if you wish. Open and concealed carry in Arizona requires no permit or license. That's nice. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dont boot carry and you'll be fine, in the field I always open carry my S&W 357 Magnum on the hip cowboy style. (wont pull your pants down that way because of the separate belt) A double action revolver is faster when you need it and no worry of it jamming due to dirt.

If any wild animal attacks, you dont have time to fumble.
Arizona has coyote, Javelina, cougar, Wolf, and Jaguar that can attack if threatened or rabid.

I like it. I am a big fan of the Kimber Pro carry 2 series.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Iā€™m moving to Arizona and had planned on carrying my revolver while nugget shooting. Iā€™ve seen others do this on YouTube, but Iā€™m curious if the firearms ever affect the detectors? Would it be smarter to just keep it nearby to avoid interference with the detector? For those that do carry while detecting, do you find carrying on the hip or in a shoulder rig more comfortable?

Lastly, Iā€™ll be carrying a Smith & Wesson 686 Performance Center 357 mag and I need a durable, comfortable, holster that will protect the weapon from getting banged up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Test it out for yourself.
See if you can create interference.

I waist carry a snubbie up front to one side in a wheelchair.
The pistol is less likely to create interference than the chair. But I get by just fine.

For a longer barrel , I prefer a tanker style holster. El Paso Saddlery made mine for a five inch barreled .357.
You'd probably want to trim the longest strap after adjustment , I used wire ties instead and folded it.
Treating/maintaining leather and dealing with sweat salts would factor in AZ. too ,most likely.

Really though , you just got to test and tune your rigs compatibility.

I try to maintain situational awareness to rear and blindsides , but am more comfortable with a pistol up front. Just in case another old lady sneaks up on me. Hey , it happened! No malicious intent , but she heard a cuss word anyways after I jumped a foot in the air...

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In PA. I carry a Glock 19. One time I was trapped in the bed of my truck by two German shepherd's. After a bunch of yelling and barking, I picked up an ax from the bed of my truck. They figured it out and abandoned ship. Dogs don't understand a gun, but they understand what a stick looks like. While I could have just shot them, I didn't want to kill a domestic dog.

My holster gets pushed back on my right hip so it can still be grabbed in a hurry. The biggest concern for me is two legged scum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread