Just Recieved a Minelab Gold Monster 1000

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All

After about 6 years of panning, sluicing, sniping, etc.. I finally bought myself a metal detector -the Minelab Gold Monster 1000. After spending hours looking at youtube videos and reviews online, I think that I made a wise choice. I'll be working areas in Northern California in the central sierra nevada foothills. Many of the areas are in highly mineralized & trashy ground -Hot as hell ground if you will. From what I've read -the Gold Monster is a VLF that can handle the hot ground with practice. This detector also has automatic ground balance features and decreased adjustments making it a good detector for a beginner like me.

After reading and watching a ton of information on the unit, I figured that I should ask this group of experts their thoughts on the unit and any insight you may be willing to share. I am going to camp at a spot with a history of chunky gold this Friday/Saturday to learn the unit and hopefully find a few crumbs. I've already practiced digging metal targets I found in my backyard with success, yet I understand that things will be different in the field.

Any suggestions, tactics, insights, experience is welcomed.

I haven't been this excited since I was a kid -Heavy Pans!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is spot on...watch the Bill Southern vids. It is a great, simple and EFFECTIVE detector. Congrats... time to go find some crumbs (or maybe larger! )

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another vote for Bill Southern videos!

Congrats on your purchase, looking forward to hearing how you do.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i brought a few small nuggets to test with,before i ever went out,or take them with you to test
good luck ,dont forget we need pictures. brad

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have one, and it's already snagged nuggets, easy to learn, easy to use, yet effective.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you with the New Gold Monster. Here's hoping you find a panfull your first time out with it. Go getem'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread