Nugget Hunting with 5 inch Coil dd Excelerator

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What size nugget will the X-terra 70 pick up ?????.................==Jim==

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
An Explorer will get a 1/3gram nugget at about 2" loud and clear...

Coil size makes no difference, sensitivity levels will determine depth of detection.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Guys,
Do you mean that xterra-70 is better then Explorer II on gold nuggets?

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD, Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag (camo), GARRETT PRO POINTER
Gold Bug 2 finds the match heads easy!

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy,
What do you mean in 'no contest' ?

Willy

The XTerra 70 will 'see' stuff that the Explorer won't. The same (small) nugget that an XT70 would scream on won't give a peep on the Explorer. The XT70 was designed to also be a damn fine prospecting detector whereas the Explorer wasn't. It might also have a 'better' ground tracking system. I've read a few posts where a person would take the same piece of gold that another detector (MXT, XT70, etc.) sounded of on and the person couldn't get an Explorer to make a peep.. even by rubbing it on the coil. The BBS/FBS detectors seem to have been designed expressly as coin/ring/relic detectors, at which they do a fine job, not as nugget machines. Sure, they will sound off on a large enough chunk, but those are much more rare than the smaller stuff and a PI will blow them away depthwise on the bigger stuff (in the generally heavily mineralized ground where gold is generally found). That's why you'll often see a prospector swinging something like a ML PI (or Infinium in some cases), for the big 'n deep stuff, and a high gain/frequency VLF for the small or shallow stuff. ..Willy.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy,
Thank you for such a full reply.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the same question to a dealer awhile back. I was told that the Explorer does not have a fast enough processor for small gold. I was then referred to a X-terra 70.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
camb1,
what did they tell about larger gold nuggets(m0re then 0.5 gram) and Explorer II?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread