New to prospecting with a metal detector

VlPokeylV

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2020
Fresno
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new as well and have read up on this model. More of a multi-purpose detector but Bill seems to like it... can't be terrible!

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but you'd be better off with the 6 inch coil. More sensitive and easier to use around rocks and brush.

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had success finding nuggets with it. If you want a multi-purpose detector that can do relics, coins, and gold then there are two main choices. The Nox 800 with the 6" coil, and the XP HF Elliptical coil paired with the ORX or Deus controller. I personally tend to lean towards the Deus with the HF Elliptical because the frequency it uses is almost double the Nox so it has the edge on the tiny stuff and the coil is purpose built for gold prospecting. The XP coils have their own electronics and processing built into the coil itself so its optimized for the gold.

Unless you're going up against a dedicated gold machine like the goldmonster you won't be disappointed in the Nox.

If you're planning on trying your hand in the Great Falls area expect a lot of trash, that 6" coil will help a lot. There's areas where you pan for a little gold and having a detector along to sweep for spots that give a signal can help you get a bit more shine in the pan.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For small gold, the signal you'll be looking for comes in very low on the digital readout (1,2,3), and of course, if the gold gets bigger, the numbers will go up, always remembering that at the best, gold is a mid-range target ID and nuggets (depending on their purity) will reflect that.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread