Ill name this this nugget 'The cure'

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been quite some time since Ive been out detecting. Got drawn for a coveted X3a tag, 6 years in the making. Add to that my dry spell for deer since 2012..... and once again... no deer. 12 days of walking, sitting, driving...... no antlers anywhere. not even a fork spike. the bitterness is more than I can handle. Im done with California. To lighten things up...I was able to get out detecting one day after halloween, I was at a loss on where to go since i havnt had time to find new ground. After picking my friends brain, we decided on a location he had found a couple 1/2 to 1 gram pieces. It was an area I had never set boots on, so I was anxious. My luck for the gold is the polar opposite from my buck hunting luck. upon entering the area and being shown where he had found gold, I walked a little ways as I read the ground. I decided on a small area that looked promising, a good place to start. I did the factory recommended start up procedure and started swinging. I passed over a couple overload signals, then got a pronounced signal that wasnt quite that sharp. It turned out to be a half gram piece. I shouted to my friend "got one!" He hadnt even got his turned on yet! Now he got to moving a little faster. I immediately noticed the chatter when i went back to swinging, so I turned the sensitivity down to smooth out the detector. It was still chattering, so I decided I wouldnt dwell too much into the maybe signals. Within 2 minutes of swinging, I had another good signal. At first it was quiet, but defined. After 1 scrape it was a really good signal. After 20 inches out popped the target. I knew what it was, the question was how big?
20201101_161213.jpg 20201101_161158.jpg

Attachments

• 20201101_161121.jpg
    20201101_161121.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 inch deep recovery is pretty dang good for that tiny nugget!

Well how big?

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
you call it the cure, but its only intensifying my sickness.
nice nugget. looks like a troy ounce +.
where's that banner button at.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice one... 18-20g is my guess (you will send me the nugg if I'm right...RIGHT?)

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m saying under 3/4 ounce.

20.4 grams (I grew up watching “The Price is Right”).
Waiting for the 1 grain guess...

Last edited:
OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m saying under 3/4 ounce.

20.4 grams (I grew up watching “The Price is Right”).
Waiting for the 1 grain guess...

Josh still has you beat, even with price is right rules.... but it did not break an ounce. 26.35 grams. It is the largest piece I have found for this type of gold. I have found larger hard rock and specimen gold, but never a solid nugget like this.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just what the doctor ordered... Looks yummy! :thumbsup:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh still has you beat, even with price is right rules.... but it did not break an ounce. 26.35 grams. It is the largest piece I have found for this type of gold. I have found larger hard rock and specimen gold, but never a solid nugget like this.

Congrats!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice find indeed!

Thanks for the story of the find as well, always enjoyable.

All the best, and congratulations,

Lanny

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is 26.35 gr. :tongue3:
Very nice nugget!

GG~

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been quite some time since Ive been out detecting. Got drawn for a coveted X3a tag, 6 years in the making. Add to that my dry spell for deer since 2012..... and once again... no deer. 12 days of walking, sitting, driving...... no antlers anywhere. not even a fork spike. the bitterness is more than I can handle. Im done with California. To lighten things up...I was able to get out detecting one day after halloween, I was at a loss on where to go since i havnt had time to find new ground. After picking my friends brain, we decided on a location he had found a couple 1/2 to 1 gram pieces. It was an area I had never set boots on, so I was anxious. My luck for the gold is the polar opposite from my buck hunting luck. upon entering the area and being shown where he had found gold, I walked a little ways as I read the ground. I decided on a small area that looked promising, a good place to start. I did the factory recommended start up procedure and started swinging. I passed over a couple overload signals, then got a pronounced signal that wasnt quite that sharp. It turned out to be a half gram piece. I shouted to my friend "got one!" He hadnt even got his turned on yet! Now he got to moving a little faster. I immediately noticed the chatter when i went back to swinging, so I turned the sensitivity down to smooth out the detector. It was still chattering, so I decided I wouldnt dwell too much into the maybe signals. Within 2 minutes of swinging, I had another good signal. At first it was quiet, but defined. After 1 scrape it was a really good signal. After 20 inches out popped the target. I knew what it was, the question was how big?
View attachment 1876812 View attachment 1876813

I found your buck. I thought my brush busting would wake him up but he didn't budge. He must have just died. No blood, no wound. No smell, no bugs. Kinda strange.. 20201221_155025.jpg

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold it to a local gold dealer. $1400. It didnt hurt me that much to let it go. Easy come, easy go. Yes it was as lucky as winning the lottery, but shocking how it just happened so easily. ( you could say that about a lot of things). Best hobby I ever picked up. I never thought id see the day hunting didnt interest me, but I have to say detecting peaked my interest from the day I started swinging a coil. More so now than ever.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
should have called fish and game. that is very strange

*edit.... upon further pondering my best guess is it got hit by a car, not very strange at all... really

Last edited:

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did call. I gave them a pic and coordinates. They didn't seem too worried...I was back out in the same area yesterday and saw 3 more bucks. These guys were healthy. I only found 1 more picker..

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold it to a local gold dealer. $1400. It didnt hurt me that much to let it go. Easy come, easy go. Yes it was as lucky as winning the lottery, but shocking how it just happened so easily. ( you could say that about a lot of things). Best hobby I ever picked up. I never thought id see the day hunting didnt interest me, but I have to say detecting peaked my interest from the day I started swinging a coil. More so now than ever.

Yes indeed."best job I ever had" :) >>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions