Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mercury is a metallic element. You can't "dispose" of it because you can't destroy elements.

Mercury at room temperature in a glass container is not dangerous. If the top is "leaking" then some simple disposable gloves would be a wise precaution. Most metals are poisonous to humans when concentrated in the body.

Mercury isn't the most dangerous metal but it's probably the most feared by the public. Other metals like Lead, Arsenic and Uranium are much more dangerous in smaller quantities than Mercury.

The key to handling dangerous metals is to prevent build up of the metal in your body tissues. With Mercury that's best accomplished by not breathing the fumes. Mercury vaporizes very slowly at room temperature. That's why mercury is stored in glass with a layer of water on top to prevent any mercury vapor from escaping. I'm guessing that's why Capt. E. thought the mercury he found in a glass jar was leaking - because of the water in the jar.

Pure metallic Mercury, when stored correctly, really isn't dangerous to humans. If you like science you can watch this video of scientists explaining how little health danger metallic Mercury has while submerging their body parts in liquid room temperature Mercury.

:occasion14:

Where Mercury gets it's bad reputation is from when little bacteria process the metallic mercury into methylmercury an organic (carbon) compound. Methylmercury is really dangerous to human health. The creation of methylmercury from native mercury is a natural ongoing process that has nothing to do with mining or human activity. It's found in waterways wherever there are natural Mercury deposits.

You encounter Mercury every day as you go about your life. Besides the obvious mercury florescent light bulbs now being used everywhere to save the environment Mercury is also found in your water pipes (PVC contains mercury) many pigments in paints, cosmetics and plastics, explosives and many medicines. I doubt there is any way you could ever stop being exposed to mercury.

That little jar of Mercury has some real value. It likely has some gold amalgam as well as the value of the Mercury itself. Mercury sells for about a dollar a gram. Many people will tell you it's been banned but the only restriction on Mercury is that it can't be transported by air.

If you were to call your local authorities to alert them to the presence of this natural metal they would ultimately, after all the drama and paperwork, process and recover the Mercury in the same way the miner who buried the jar would. They would use a retort to recover the mercury and gold and sell them into the market. It is after all is said and done a useful natural element that's a lot less dangerous to humanity than automobiles or chain saws or the flu.

Heavy Pans

Great, enlightening article, thanks!

All the best,

Lanny

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to pick up small amounts of mercury is with a copper wire just make sure its clean and shiny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0EzY3w6rA&ab_channel=Cody'sLab

I worked with mercury at a mine even retorted gold amalgam and was tested for mercury and my labs came back normal.

here is why they do not ship mercury on aircraft.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno why so many seem so sure there is gold in the mercury found by the OP. Mercury comes in glass jars with steel caps (older) and glass jars with plastic caps these days. OP said there was maybe a half ounce of mercury in the jar, would not hold much gold if there were any in the jar. I have used mercury to get gold plating and my mercury has a golden hue to it after soaking plated items in it. I think if the mercury in the jar found had gold in it it would also have a gold hue. You folk who think it is so dangerous are sadly mistaken, it is only harmful if ingested or the fumes directly inhaled. I used to take mercuric oxide from my high school chemistry lab and heat it in an old coffee can on my mother's stove to make liquid mercury, never got sick or had any problems and like others stated we used to play with raw mercury. A friend once stole a five pound jar of mercury from a school lab and buried it, five pounds in a glass jar with steel cap. I have tried to find it with my detector with no luck yet. He says he never recovered it but he buried it by a school bus stop and the area is all covered with bull briar now. It is worth over a thousand dollars I think and would love to find it. It was over 55 years ago that he buried it. Always a possibility that some other kid saw him bury it and dug it up back then.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno why so many seem so sure there is gold in the mercury found by the OP. Mercury comes in glass jars with steel caps (older) and glass jars with plastic caps these days. OP said there was maybe a half ounce of mercury in the jar, would not hold much gold if there were any in the jar. I have used mercury to get gold plating and my mercury has a golden hue to it after soaking plated items in it. I think if the mercury in the jar found had gold in it it would also have a gold hue. You folk who think it is so dangerous are sadly mistaken, it is only harmful if ingested or the fumes directly inhaled. I used to take mercuric oxide from my high school chemistry lab and heat it in an old coffee can on my mother's stove to make liquid mercury, never got sick or had any problems and like others stated we used to play with raw mercury. A friend once stole a five pound jar of mercury from a school lab and buried it, five pounds in a glass jar with steel cap. I have tried to find it with my detector with no luck yet. He says he never recovered it but he buried it by a school bus stop and the area is all covered with bull briar now. It is worth over a thousand dollars I think and would love to find it. It was over 55 years ago that he buried it. Always a possibility that some other kid saw him bury it and dug it up back then.

The OP stated it was found near a mine (in an area known for gold) and that it was about 8 ounces (7 pounds).

The primary use of mercury at gold mines was to capture gold. Thus the possibility that the mercury was not clean and may have gold in it.

Never did hear how this one turned out.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions