I found a gold nugget metal detecting and was wondering how much it’s worth?

Everette_Nall04

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I found this gold nugget metal detecting in my woods and I was wondering how much it is worth. Here is its specs

It weighs: .2525 of and ounce so around a 3 tenths of an ounce

It is 1 inch by 1/2 inch

Do any of y’all know how much it could possibly be worth?
36112758-9F6B-4616-B8EC-D8F9771D8809.jpeg
BCD71D16-4ED3-44FF-BADF-A7E7CD182B98.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuggets are rare and when sold demand a price above their actual gold value. At a gem and mineral show like the one here in Tucson the asking price would probably be about double gold value...but usually they negotiate the final price.

Good luck in finding more
i sell gold to collectors.

would love someone to pay double spot. but, it just doesn't happen.

Since it is from NC and pretty big and rare for that area it might get a bit of a boost but, it doesn't have that much unique character.

In Ca. youd be hard pressed to sell it for much more than spot.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats it worth ? Today 1 oz. is going for almost $1,900 >> https://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html
Collectors pay above that for nice nuggets.Hold on to it...it just might double w/in the next 18 months ....Good find/job!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i sell gold to collectors.

would love someone to pay double spot. but, it just doesn't happen.

Since it is from NC and pretty big and rare for that area it might get a bit of a boost but, it doesn't have that much unique character.

In Ca. youd be hard pressed to sell it for much more than spot.

I figured decent price would be 90% spot price to a middle man selling to collectors.
80% spot from “we buy gold” outfits.

Of course paying close attention to the difference between troy ounces and the common ounce.
————-
A gold and gem show may attract special buyers willing to spend extra $$ because they traveled for the event. I’ve never been to one before, much less sold gold there.
I do know certain people are willing to pay spot price for clean flour gold, which seems a bit high. They were reselling at 200% or higher.

I bet gold with good character that is incorporated into jewelry sells for several times spot price at the jewelry shop.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you having trouble finding a gram scale? If you're married, your wife likely has a gram scale for weighing kitchen ingredients. Something like that should let you weight it up.

Reading the dimensions you gave for your nugget, it seems like it's on the larger side, but I too would love it if you'd post a pic. of the nugget on a gram scale.

Nice find regardless, congratulations, and all the best,

Lanny

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Are you having trouble finding a gram scale? If you're married, your wife likely has a gram scale for weighing kitchen ingredients. Something like that should let you weight it up.

Reading the dimensions you gave for your nugget, it seems like it's on the larger side, but I too would love it if you'd post a pic. of the nugget on a gram scale.

Nice find regardless, congratulations, and all the best,

Lanny

Pick in first post Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pick in first post Lanny

Hi Vance, yes I saw picture, but was hoping he'd find a scale that showed the weight in grams, not as a portion of an ounce on a non-troy scale (which is what someone else mentioned the nugget was weighed on). Not a big deal though, so thanks for the reminder.

All the best,

Lanny

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Hi Vance, yes I saw picture, but was hoping he'd find a scale that showed the weight in grams, not as a portion of an ounce on a non-troy scale (which is what someone else mentioned the nugget was weighed on). Not a big deal though, so thanks for the reminder.

All the best,

Lanny

Gotcha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread