If you only had $2k to buy a Pi machine what would you buy.

Keyboardkowboy

Mar 26, 2013
Far nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Makro Nokta gold kruzer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go on minelabs website and call certified minelab dealers the are listed on their page. If you are lucky you might find a new gpx 4500 at $2699. Im not sure if they are discontinued yet or not. They also might have a good used one if not new. Just beware of fakes out there.

OP
OP
Keyboardkowboy

Keyboardkowboy

Mar 26, 2013
Far nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Makro Nokta gold kruzer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm well aware of fakes and won't be getti g anything of ebay orles reputable pages.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used Minelab GPX 4000 - Going to PM you!

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
the gpx 6000 is about to come out and maybe, depending on what it is.
some may upgrade from the 5000.
this might put a few 5000s up for sale soon.
keep an eye on the nugget shooter/hunter forums, classifieds.
there is a 5000 for 2500 on there now. i think you could get one for 2000.
i got one back in march with a lot of add ons and 4 coils for 2000, came with all receipts totaling more than 5000.

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leadnugget has a great point. With the gpx 6000 about to come out. The 5000 might come down in price and I bet there will be some good deals on a used one. Another thing is it's a good idea to call and talk to the dealer. I bought my 5000 new and I got 800 knocked off the advertised price.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
a used 4500.... gpz hasnt found any big stuff the 4500 missed. just a few tiny pickers.... not so sure im willing to let it go just yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keyboardkowboy

Keyboardkowboy

Mar 26, 2013
Far nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Makro Nokta gold kruzer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys I have a lot to think about. I don't have the money yet and I'm thinking about selling my vlf to put the money down. For a a pi. After I went out and saw what that gpz 7000 could do.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look up the VLF Minelab Goldmonster 1000 before you give up on VLF machines.:occasion14:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
a friend of mine just went out last weekend with his gb pro. Not a veteran detectorist by any means, but he was determined to find gold after what i had showed him. He came home with a 5.5 gram nugget, He hunted a spot that is so famous I do not go there because I thought it had been pounded to oblivion. My point is its 80% detectorist, 20% detector. I went out with him to his property that has only very small gold, I have no vlf, and I foolishly sold my sdc, so I was stuck with my boat anchor. Sdc would have cleaned house, and I was envious of the gold bug my friend was using. pi's are good for hot ground and deeper targets. but dont ever think your vlf is inept.

OP
OP
Keyboardkowboy

Keyboardkowboy

Mar 26, 2013
Far nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Makro Nokta gold kruzer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I totally get that but me and his friend went out with the same vlf at this patch. The gold was way too deep for the vlf to even pick up on. I'm at 5 pennyweights just about. With this vlf and I've been at it less than 3 mo I'm happy with that. But I just need some depth on a machine to get down in some of these patches. I know I have a lot to Lean with any detector. But some added depth can't hurt. $700 was a lot of money to spend on a machine and watching a guy pull an ounce 2 ft down. Almost every tareget got a little discouraging

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold out for a used SDC2300.

people give up on detecting pretty easily.

I've seen several that look almost new sell for $2k

I got the coiltech10x5 for mine and it is a killer coil.

It will find small targets deeper than any VLF could dream of.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I totally get that but me and his friend went out with the same vlf at this patch. The gold was way too deep for the vlf to even pick up on. I'm at 5 pennyweights just about. With this vlf and I've been at it less than 3 mo I'm happy with that. But I just need some depth on a machine to get down in some of these patches. I know I have a lot to Lean with any detector. But some added depth can't hurt. $700 was a lot of money to spend on a machine and watching a guy pull an ounce 2 ft down. Almost every tareget got a little discouraging

"$700 was a lot of money to spend on a machine and watching a guy pull an ounce 2 ft down. Almost every tareget got a little discouraging"---is your name Robert? just kidding. My frien was pretty bitter when he watched me pull a 3/4 oz nugget out of his spot. I wasnt boasting cuz I know the feeling. I tried to talk him into trading my 45 for the sdc he bought from me straight across, but he didnt want to, so all I can say is I tried to help. But seriously, the 4500 is an incredible machine when you pair it with a new tech coil. Havnt found anything worth calling home about on any of my cleaned out patches when i take the gpz

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hold out for a used SDC2300.

people give up on detecting pretty easily.

I've seen several that look almost new sell for $2k

I got the coiltech10x5 for mine and it is a killer coil.

It will find small targets deeper than any VLF could dream of.

I also just added the Coiltek 10x5 and am excited to get it out the 1st of May after breakup. I did play with the SDC doing air tests (which don't really mean much) and played with the stock 8", the 10x5, and also the Goldmonster with the 6" coil. SDC with stock coil was pretty even with the 10x5 on depth but the edge on the 10x5 seemed to do better on sensitivity? Also ran the SDC on 3 and 4 sens. I used 4 nuggets, all big, 3.55ozt, 12g, 25g specimen, and a 4.6g nugget. The real shocker in my unscientific air test was the Goldmonster on manual 10 was an easy inch, maybe 2 deeper on ALL these nuggets than the SDC with either coil and settings up to 4. Of course this was an air test and I did some sloppy measuring/eyeballing with a tape....but I did expect my SDC to a little better on depth? I'm not in anyway disappointed and the SDC has it's place, especially on hot ground/ hot rocks. Don't underestimate that Goldmonster imo.

Anyways...really looking forward to busting out the SDC with the 10x5...!!!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also just added the Coiltek 10x5 and am excited to get it out the 1st of May after breakup. I did play with the SDC doing air tests (which don't really mean much) and played with the stock 8", the 10x5, and also the Goldmonster with the 6" coil. SDC with stock coil was pretty even with the 10x5 on depth but the edge on the 10x5 seemed to do better on sensitivity? Also ran the SDC on 3 and 4 sens. I used 4 nuggets, all big, 3.55ozt, 12g, 25g specimen, and a 4.6g nugget. The real shocker in my unscientific air test was the Goldmonster on manual 10 was an easy inch, maybe 2 deeper on ALL these nuggets than the SDC with either coil and settings up to 4. Of course this was an air test and I did some sloppy measuring/eyeballing with a tape....but I did expect my SDC to a little better on depth? I'm not in anyway disappointed and the SDC has it's place, especially on hot ground/ hot rocks. Don't underestimate that Goldmonster imo.

Anyways...really looking forward to busting out the SDC with the 10x5...!!!!
the difference is the gound.

the gold monster will be more affected than a PI

I tried a goldmonster on our claim and it was noisy. Didn't feel more usable than my GB2

wait until you pull your first loud as heck .22lr at eight inches.. that 10x5 is awesome great target response.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the difference is the gound.

the gold monster will be more affected than a PI

I tried a goldmonster on our claim and it was noisy. Didn't feel more usable than my GB2

wait until you pull your first loud as heck .22lr at eight inches.. that 10x5 is awesome great target response.

I use the Monster mostly on manual 10 and YES it is very noisy on hot ground. I've used it long enough to be able distinguish one certain pesky red hot rock from a potential good target with fairly good success. Down by the creek I run into a grey hot rock and also a black hot rock that'll fool the Monster every time. Fortunately for me I'm usually on the side of a mountain with the red rocks than down by the creek with the grey and black ones. When I'm on hot ground and the noisy Monster drives me nuts after a few hrs I just switch to the SDC to quiet things down, mark targets with flags, then usually chase targets down with the Monster after I peel off a few inches first. Works pretty good and saves me time digging some trash. I'm finding there's a little more to that Monster than most people think, including myself....jmo

Definitely looking forward to that 10x5 once breakup is done....

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Iā€™m totally out of the loop here. If Iā€™m paying 8g for a machine, I think Iā€™ll just be the loot buyer?, and than when Iā€™m wondering what to do Iā€™ll just pull out my local, low mile, John Adams button and wonder when somebody will post my next to purchased trinket that I just canā€™t live without.
Iā€™m kind of joking but not really. Iā€™m probably 300 miles from any natural gold nuggets, no joke.
Build a machine that will find Cody-complex or even side notches, I would trade everything but my ā€˜29 Ford for.
Just keep on with all the great info I can hardly get enough..

OP
OP
Keyboardkowboy

Keyboardkowboy

Mar 26, 2013
Far nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Makro Nokta gold kruzer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So all the reviews I read say that the gold kruzer and the monster 1000 are about the same. By mining partner runs the monster 1000 and we dig about the same depth but I feel like he might be getting a little more depth. What do you guys think I might sell it and get the monster. The kruzer has a lot more control. I was thinking about getti g the bigest coil for the kruzer but can't find any info on depth so $200 is a big price tag to try it out and see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread