leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
I was out stumbling around, kinda deep in the high desert mountains of central Arizona.
I had the monster with me today.
Way back in i could see an area that i had seen on google earth and knew there was a very small wash on the other side.
it wasnt part of the plain, but I'm way out here anyway. i hiked in to this little, cat claw infested wash area and i see, hand stacked rocks! and bedrock!
out came the monster, it was picker after picker for about 30 minutes. Almost no trash.
ill have to go back in with my loppers to get more. i took a ridge line to get out as the brush was cutting me up and tearing my shirt bad.
up on the ridge looking down, i spotted an old shell case, i knew it was old as it is a rim fire.
and from the firing pin mark, that it was fired from a spencer rifle.
got home, took some measurements. its a 56 50 spencer rifle case. this was a popular rifle in the 1860 and 70s.
the ammo was made all the way into the 1920 maybe 1930s so who knows. it's a interesting bit of history.
i wonder if the person that shot it was a Indian fighter or miner, this area did have a lot of skirmishes in the 1860s and 70s.
so 23 grains of rough off the vein, some with quartz. That vein is close.
Also saw the first snake of the year, very lethargic. Almost time to dust off the snake chaps.

Attachments

• 20210307_172741 (2).jpg
    20210307_172741 (2).jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cholla and cat claw...the bane of AZ hikers. Seems to me that a dry washer would come in handy too.

Good luck.

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice stuff....!!!!! Gonna be 40-50 more days before I can get out (sigh)...........

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everything in the desert bites, pokes or stings!

Nice gold finds, and congratulations on your determination to fight through the desert nasties to get to the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great finds! Sounds like you really earned it on your trip in and out. Thanks for sharing with us.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to persevere, sir! I am a former Spencer shooter and the instant I saw that case the .56-50 or .56-56 came to mind. And you are right -- the Spencer saw plenty of action against the Apaches in Arizona and here in southern New Mexico as well.
I was about to ask if you saw any snakes as they are getting out of bed grumpy in my neighborhood near the White Sands as well.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!!
And it's always fun to daydream & come up with stories of what might have been!

OP
OP
L

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
Here's a bit more. Had a good friend come out with me to the spot today. Spent some time placering and bush/tree trimming.
There is a lot of fine gold in this wash. Really should vac and drywash this one.
I spent some time playing with the monster controls. Going into manual, max sensitivity, way to unstable. Add discriminate, and it smoothed it out.
The smallest one in the pic was found this way. Worked better than auto 1 or 2. I have never liked using discrimination, but this has me rethinking things.
16 bits for 19 grains. I might start to scan the hillside for the vein next as the gold ends abruptly at a spot in the wash.

Attachments

• 20210319_161706 (2).jpg
    20210319_161706 (2).jpg
    528 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely a good idea to do some side hill searching since upstream searches are now unproductive.....follow the float as they say.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions